Very little suspense

After all the talk about this being an ultra competitive season there is very little suspense heading into finals week. Blue Devils will (and should) win, that is a given. Maybe Cadets and Bluecoats fight for second, but I am doubtful. SCV and Crown, Phantom and BK seem to be two battles that will be decided finals night. Maybe there is some movement between Boston, Blue Stars and Madison. But that is about it.

Remarkably, what everyone thought would be up for grabs, the 12-15 range appears the most set in stone. As a matter of fact, among world class corps, I would be surprised if their seedlings, 12 through 22 did not hold next week. Maybe the only suspense is how the open class corps fit in.

What a let down.

Edited by mcjordansc

I'd say that if you have 3 or 4 battles for position going into Finals week, that's plenty of good material.

Yes, BD will win, but that doesn't mean that the Bluecoats/Cadets scrum isn't going to keep the fans interested. And below that, you have SCV having only a slight edge over Crown, with Crown, in turn, having Cavaliers steadily closing up a gap (from 4 points beginning of the season to 1-1.5 now). The BK/PR battle has two overlapping groups interested, one positively, the other dreading that they may be overtaken.

And under that, Madison/Blue Stars/Boston are tight enough to be their own drama. So that's really four different groups of competitors whose fates are up in the air going in to this week. To my mind, this is one of the more interesting scenarios we've seen in awhile.

Edited by Slingerland

After all the talk about this being an ultra competitive season there is very little suspense heading into finals week. Blue Devils will (and should) win, that is a given. Maybe Cadets and Bluecoats fight for second, but I am doubtful. SCV and Crown, Phantom and BK seem to be two battles that will be decided finals night. Maybe there is some movement between Boston, Blue Stars and Madison. But that is about it.

What a let down.

Was this to be satire? You mention that we don't know (by your analysis) the placements of 9 of the 10 corps you mention.

Very little suspense indeed.

I kindly disagree. No let down at all for me. If you only put stock in placements and scores you are bound to be disappointed more often than not over the course of a season. To me it's about the quality of the shows. Amazing top 5, very solid 6-12, a dog fight below that. Simply put, there are some wonderful shows this year. There are also some shows that pull me in about 50% of the time (some a little more), but that's to be expected too.

• Like 5

Was this to be satire? You mention that we don't know (by your analysis) the placements of 9 of the 10 corps you mention.

Very little suspense indeed.

If I were to bet on it, I would bet there is no change in placement from the world class seedings. So, if people want to see movement during finals week, this will be a disappointing year. This is not a comment on the quality of the corps or shows, that is high. I am simply pointing out that among the world class corps there is a pretty clear seperation between all corps 1-22, with very few exceptions.

Remarkably, what everyone thought would be up for grabs, the 12-15 range appears the most set in stone. As a matter of fact, among world class corps, I would be surprised if their seedlings, 12 through 22 did not hold next week. Maybe the only suspense is how the open class corps fit in.

What a let down.

This is a competition...BUT I have to say that this year competitive placement hasn't really been all that important to me...I was really blown away at Allentown...top to bottom...I can't remember a year over the last 25 with this many incredible QUALITY corps...the bar IMO has definitely been raised...yes some corps may be doing a bit better or worse this season....but collectively as a group there are so many great shows being performed all the way to last place.

I can't even believe the quality of Jersey Surf...it is a totally different corps this year...they were amazing and I sat at the stadium Saturday watching them practice...

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 3

I purchased the new Essentials Blu-Ray and watched it last night. saw two of my favorite shows, 1987 SCV with one of their most powerful and creative shows, undefeated until finals, being captured by a then sleeping giant Garfield Cadets. 1989 Phantom, nearly undefeated all season, defeated by SCV. Even a few years back, everyone expected Blue Devils to three-peat in 2011 and most thought "Angels and Demons" would never be clean enough, but we know what happened, and more than a few (I am not in this category) figured Crown would choke, especially after a second place in prelims. Two electrifying performances proved naysayers wrong.

There is plenty of evidence, or in the spirit of earlier season posts perhaps I should say evidence "aplenty" of predictable seasons, but thee are likewise seasons "aplenty" of unpredictability. BD mat sail to victory or could be surprised, Bloo and Cadets could be sleeping giants, SCV and Crown could dampen things a bit, and Cavies may possibly be a threat.

• Like 3

What a let down.

This past week I went back and watched one of my all time favorite shows, Spartacus. The Blue Devils had won every single event they played all season long, but it was clear that as the season went on, Phantom Regiment was winning the hearts and minds of fans. Regiment went to Indy having never finished above third all season long, but obviously we know how that ended.

Obviously the similarities between the Blue Devils and The Bluecoats is striking.

Does anyone recall how far behind PR was going into Indy?

• Like 2

I can't even believe the quality of Jersey Surf...it is a totally different corps this year...they were amazing and I sat at the stadium Saturday watching them practice...

I have to agree with you regarding Surf. I did not see them in Allentown but caught them in Atlanta and Quincy. 2012 and 2013 gave them a great deal of confidence and this year they have a more straightforward, but very pleasing show. On the one hand they are different this year, but when the DM gave the "surf's up" signal to the audience after the show's completion, it was the same Surf too. Of course Bob Jacobs and company make sure this corps has a great experience.

• Like 2