Crowdsourcing show design

I keep hearing Devils are 'pushing the boundary' and 'so innovative' this season and I would love to have a clear explanation of that, because I am not seeing it, at all. Is the catwalk innovative? The stage lights??? I see nothing innovative drill wise, certainly nothing even close to what Cavies used to do drill wise. That was insane. They always have a solid guard, a given. Same with brass. Percussion is good one day, not so the next. If it's in the GE phase, that's too subjective to really be fair across the board, IMO. I'm dead serious about this. I'm going to prelims and finals and will be watching with a eagle eye what they do to try to access this 'innovation'. Seen em twice and have seen nothing innovative. So please splain, tanx!

Edited by Sportster

Just for the heck of it I went on over to Youtube and checked out Devs show and SCV's, who I have yet to see. Just in the opening number it looks like SCV outmarched Devils entire show. There's more movement there. SCV does more forms and more difficult ones. Devs park and blow a lot and plod much of the time. I think we're at the stage where reputation is getting points instead of performance. Yes Devs are good musical performers but I definitely wouldn't put them at the top marching wise.

Just for the heck of it I went on over to Youtube and checked out Devs show and SCV's, who I have yet to see. Just in the opening number it looks like SCV outmarched Devils entire show. There's more movement there. SCV does more forms and more difficult ones. Devs park and blow a lot and plod much of the time. I think we're at the stage where reputation is getting points instead of performance. Yes Devs are good musical performers but I definitely wouldn't put them at the top marching wise.

We must have two completely different definitions of "difficult" or "movement." There are several places in BDs show that they do things marching wise while playing that no other corps comes close to pulling off. Literally running while playing complex syncopated rhythms in a variety of styles.... that's not demanding? And their marching form at any tempo and step size is simply impeccable.

I can see not liking their show design style, or even the style of drill (it is very different from the other corps)... but if you think the Blue Devils have an easier show... then you are truly being fooled.

We must have two completely different definitions of "difficult" or "movement." There are several places in BDs show that they do things marching wise while playing that no other corps comes close to pulling off. Literally running while playing complex syncopated rhythms in a variety of styles.... that's not demanding? And their marching form at any tempo and step size is simply impeccable.

I can see not liking their show design style, or even the style of drill (it is very different from the other corps)... but if you think the Blue Devils have an easier show... then you are truly being fooled.

I *love* BD this year but this whole nonsense of BD can do things ... that no other corps comes close to pulling off" is just nonsense. Their MM talent is no better or worse than the other top corps.

• Like 1

I *love* BD this year but this whole nonsense of BD can do things ... that no other corps comes close to pulling off" is just nonsense. Their MM talent is no better or worse than the other top corps.

In my opnion, it probably is higher. Of course you could only measure this by auditioning each individual member... but to my ears and eyes they are on a considerably different level. I hear and see what I consider "professional" from BD much more than the other groups. The judges acknowledge this, I just wish more of the fans (at least on DCP) would.

Then why are the Cadets the only corps who come even close to BD's execution? No one other than the Cadets are close to as clean as BD. BD uses a different style of drill that places just as much demand on the marchers as others. If other corps could pull it off, their visual scores would be a lot closer to BD and Cadets.

Then why are the Cadets the only corps who come even close to BD's execution? No one other than the Cadets are close to as clean as BD. BD uses a different style of drill that places just as much demand on the marchers as others. If other corps could pull it off, their visual scores would be a lot closer to BD and Cadets.

So you seriously think if you took all of the exact same kids in the Cadets (or Crown, BK, etc) and sent them to CA at the beginning of the season that they would be performing the BD show "worse"? And conversely, the BD kids would be winning performing the Cadets/BK/etc shows better?

So you seriously think if you took all of the exact same kids in the Cadets (or Crown, BK, etc) and sent them to CA at the beginning of the season that they would be performing the BD show "worse"? And conversely, the BD kids would be winning performing the Cadets/BK/etc shows better?

Yes

Edit: I would put money on the first part (other corps kids would not perform BD's shows as well as them).

However, I don't think BD's members would automatically win with another corps' show. Performance is only part of the score, plus a show's design must be matched with the talent level of the corps. I do think they would likely score higher with BDs members though.

Edited by Tez

Yes and no. I'm saying BD's approach to drill and marching technique is better than other corps. I do think if you took kids from a program not in the top 4 or 5 and put them in BD, the performance levels would in fact be lower than they usually are from BD.

What's the title of this thread again?