What is your favorite show of the season?

My favorites so far:

1. Cadets

2. BD

3. Blue Knights

4. SCV

5. Bluecoats

What would be more interesting is the age breakdown of these answers...I bet BLOO dominates the younger bracket. I think much of the discrepancy in judging this year is related to this.

I don't think so ..... I bet you'd be surprised at who is appreciative of this show.

OK, I'm NOT 18....... I "aged out" in the early '60s...... so I prefer the ability to tell a story in a clear, obvious, and loud manner. I don't have a pref. between BD and SCV, but those two shows are far and away my favorites. They would still be my favorites even if they finished 8th and 9th....

My age does not preclude me from LIKING trombones (properly used), electronics (sound effects and spot dramatic amplification), and props (not obstacles).

Joe

Edited by JoeDz

It's a Blue year for me.

1. BK - The best themed show of the year.

2. BD - Great theme and best performed show of the year.

3. BC - Good theme, well performed and best gimmick of the year.

4. BS - Good theme, well performed and best props of the year.

I wonder how many people love Bluecoats show because of the last 30 seconds of it. Would Bluecoats still be the fan favorite if that 30 seconds didn't include that sound bend?

Just curious since I personally think the opener is good (not great though), the ballad is GREAT, and the closer up until the last minute or so just doesn't do much for me but that last minute is the best possible ending for this show they could have designed!

BD may go down as my favorite show this year just because the entire show is great! Crown and Bluecoats both have some moments that could be better but overall, both shows are right up there with BD for me in terms of sheer entertainment.

It took 6 years BD but I finally love one of your shows again!

1. Coats
  2. Devils
  3. Knights
  4. Vanguard

FWIW, I am not a kid, and there are two shows I continue to go back and watch: BD and Bluecoats. I have gone back and watched the Devils, as many shows as I can get to, and that is easily the best overall program of the year. I tend to not root for the favorite but they are the favorite for a reason. If they had a bigger, more "Ta-Da" ending, they would be even further ahead than they are now. I see no one coming close to them in Indy.

Coats would contend for the title if their guard was competitive with the top groups. Their music program rips your face off. The ballad is incredible. They give you just enough of "blast" to just tease you into the sort of quiet moment that is really hard to pull off in DCI. I would love that show without the pitch bend.

I think Vanguard is the best classic DCI-type show on the circuit this year, really awesome to watch, but does not have the flow and entertainment value that Devils and Coats have.

I want to like the Cadets, but I detest the stage and the narrator. I am a sucker for schmaltz, but that show just buries you in it. I feel like my eight grade social studies teacher secretly manufactured that show. It has none of the magic of the 2001 Scouts.

Crown of course has a crazy horn line and arrangement, but their program just never goes anywhere for me. I watch Devils and Coats and both of those shows just seem to flow and fly by. Crown's show is just forced to me.

Of the rest, I actually really like Oregon Crusaders. I'm not a DCI expert but they look like the next corps to emerge as a contender. They seem to have all the parts to be successful.

• Like 1

I love them all but one corps has presented a show like no other -

BLUECOATS because they took a chance. They tried something new- New music, new ideas, risks and change are exciting.

The top shows all get similar scores for brass, percussion, guard and by this time of year, they all are rocking.

But, as someone who has been watching shows for 5 years only:

Blue Devils are following a formula of white props and the show looks like a continuation of the past few shows - you can predict the way their show is gonna look- it's a formula that has worked for years. Let's provoke people (teehee) and use white props. Ok- looks cool but have you taken any risks or did anything new? Nope.

Cadets have a formula too - let's not provoke anyone at all and present a clean show that takes no chances and leaves nothing to the imagination. So, let's hide 3/4 of the corps behind a giant prop that looks like it was assembled from left over state fair booths and lets dress the guard in pajamas. And that is what I said...

Crown starts their show by singing and chanting again (formula?). The 4 monstrous trampolines are a functional and visual design mistake - they are a distraction and would improve the show if they were removed.

SCV - If one giant gray prop looks ok, 3 will make it better? Whaaaaat? No. Gorgeous costumes but no risks here and no excitement either. Yawn a roo.

If DCI is a showcase of the very best and is meant to serve as an example of possibilities, TILT is the only show that qualifies.

Thank you Bluecoats for creating a new perspective ( whoa! See what I did there?) and getting everyone out of their seats this year!

Edited by Corps_Efan
  • Like 2

What would be more interesting is the age breakdown of these answers...I bet BLOO dominates the younger bracket. I think much of the discrepancy in judging this year is related to this.

Love the show, and I'm 47. Not sure if that qualifies for the "younger" bracket. :winky:

• Like 1