new corps this year?

I haven't seen any buzz on this, so forgive me if I'm late to the party...

corpsreps lists several repertoires this season for corps that I've never heard of: City Sound, Coastal Surge, Columbians, Eruption, Golden Empire, Guardians, Louisiana Stars, Watchmen, Santa Clara Vanguard.

Are these Soundsport groups? Touring corps? Did anyone see them perform? Thoughts?

This has to be a net increase in participating corps compared to 2013, right?

Sounds pretty terrific to me.

corpsreps lists several repertoires this season for corps that I've never heard of: City Sound, Coastal Surge, Columbians, Eruption, Golden Empire, Guardians, Louisiana Stars, Watchmen, Santa Clara Vanguard.

Are these Soundsport groups? Touring corps? Did anyone see them perform? Thoughts?

Santa Clara Vanguard? Are you trolling?

• Like 2

One of these things is not like the others!

I know Louisiana Stars are new. They had a nice little show too!

It is encouraging. Of the above I only got to see Guardians, who were very respectable in their first year. From scores I saw it looks like Lousiana Stars had a nice start too. Here's to hoping all these groups are back next year and are able to grow responsibly into touring Open Class Corps and some into World Class Corps in the not so distant future. It's shocking to see only 15 Open Class Corps in Michigan City this year, but in a way it's heartening to know there are a growing number of corps that are building below that.

• Like 1

It is encouraging. Of the above I only got to see Guardians, who were very respectable in their first year. From scores I saw it looks like Lousiana Stars had a nice start too. Here's to hoping all these groups are back next year and are able to grow responsibly into touring Open Class Corps and some into World Class Corps in the not so distant future. It's shocking to see only 15 Open Class Corps in Michigan City this year, but in a way it's heartening to know there are a growing number of corps that are building below that.

So what's the genesis (not Genesis) of these new corps popping up?

Is that the only thing you took from the post?

No, this topic was discussed already in the pre-season so I decided to put my attention to something different :smile:

• Like 1

Also, the inclusion of SCV does sort of stand out...

I have no idea what's fueling any new corps formation but I've noticed a general uptick in non-profit organizations in the past few years. Perhaps the economy is improving enough that people are giving to things a bit more freely again and other investment based returns are generations the capital to put toward moving forward with such things?

• Like 1

Yes, that newfangled Santa Clara Vanguard did amazing things this year for such an "unknown" corps. :smile:

• Like 2

CorpsReps lists several repertoires this season for corps that I've never heard of: City Sound, Coastal Surge, Columbians, Eruption, Golden Empire, Guardians, Louisiana Stars, Watchmen, Santa Clara Vanguard.

All of this year's World Class corps, including Santa Clara Vanguard (the only corps to appear in every Finals since DCI's inception), have been around for at least a few years. The newest World Class corps is Oregon Crusaders, who moved up after winning Open Class in 2012.

Of the fifteen corps who will be appearing at Open Class Prelims this evening:

--Patria is a visiting corps from Guatemala;

--Coastal Surge is in their first competitive season after debuting in exhibition in 2013; and

--the other thirteen all have at least a few years under their belts.

There were ten more Open Class corps competing this year who will not be appearing at tonight's Prelims. Of those ten:

--Blue Devils C, City Sound, and Impulse have been competing for at least several years;

--Columbians are in their second year of competition;

--Incognito returned after some years' absence;

--Eruption, Golden Empire, Guardians, Louisiana Stars, and Watchmen all debuted in competition this year.

Of the new corps, Louisiana Stars probably made the biggest splash.

Here is a discussion of the new corps and the numbers. In terms of the total number of field drum corps competing in the U.S. this year (including Canadian corps and visitors), there is a small improvement from last year (a nadir), bringing the total back to 2012 numbers ... but that's still 17 corps fewer than competed ten years ago.