Glassmen

I am originally from Toledo, though have lived in Nashville since the '80s. I learned recently that the Glassmen folded last year, despite having established themselves as a perennial DCI finalist.

I am sure many of you have had direct interaction with that corps over the years, and am wondering what the inside story was on their financial demise. Obviously, the Bluecoats have succeeded just down the road in Canton.

I am not sure there has been a corps that was that successful fold right when it seemed they were on the verge of becoming a national name.

I am not sure there has been a corps that was that successful fold right when it seemed they were on the verge of becoming a national name.

Were they on that verge? They finished out of Finals two years in a row in 2011 and 2012 with the vampire and glass-making shows. In fall 2012, they announced they had an accumulated deficit of $300,000 and called for donations. People on this forum gave what they could, but the rumor was that even months later they'd only raised a tithe of the total.

They already were a national name, at least in drum corps circles. Six straight Top 10 finishes including three Top 5 finishes from 1997-2002.

Sadly, as Brian said, the Glassmen's case is neither unusual nor unique. Just the latest in a long, long line of corps to over-extend themselves financially and then have the ledge crumble beneath them.