Spirit of Atlanta 1986

First of all, they had the best color guard that year in the history of mankind that somehow didn't win High Auxiliary. But my question is in the opener. Does anyone know the words to that phrase they sang? It sounds all jumbled together.

Oh, in one of the most idiotic moves in that same history of mankind, I turned on my closed captioning to read what they were singing. BZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

It's from a Manhattan Transfer version of that tune

Words to be the best of my memory were

"Flat dat bottle oot, skeet zoot za bottle oot, Flappy, za ba da doo dah hands are flappin'

Ba do bah doot daht deet daht doot daht, shoot the liqour to me John boy"

Look up "That Cat is High" and Manhattan Transfer and you'll hear the original even more extended version of that scat singing segment.

And btw, I agree about the guard.... That redhead in my profile pic was one of those guard kids !! They were AMAZING !

Amen. Debbie Torchia judged guard at Finals. Her response to why they didn't win: "Staging!" I can watch the girls spinning those flags in the opener all day. And SPIN is right. Good Heavens, they bossed equipment work!

Their "Bob Fosse" esque interpretation of Sweet Georgia Brown was phenomenal - I was in love with that guard !

Later,

Mike

[edited: trying to find my zen]

Edited by hostrauser

How did I end up oin the historical junior section ?

• Like 1