Really hoping for OC to break that 80 mark, which was supposed to happen in Rome, had there been a Rome show. Better late than Nevermore!

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 3

According to the website, the first Soaring Sounds was in 1980, but CorpsReps doesn't list a "Soaring Sounds" or Centerville show that year. However, there is a Dayton show listed for July 13, 1980, and I'm guessing that's the one. It resulted in a tie between Crossmen and Spirit of Atlanta, followed by Cadets and Boston Crusaders.

I was the manager of Spirit of Atlanta during that time period. This show was just a few days after the tragic death of Jim Ott. We had been nip and tuck with Crossmen, scorewise during the first part of the season. Back in this era of drum corps, many corps had "two seasons" where there was a two week "break" in the tour and you went back home to practice and rest up. This was the last show of "first tour" for Spirit. The actual score for Spirit in this show was one tenth of a point BELOW Crossmen. But since the two corps were such good friends, and the Crossmen corps director at that time, Robbie Robinson, was such a fine gentleman, he convinced the tabulator to lower the Crossmen's score by one tenth to cause the resulting tie. I was standing next to him when he did it. Quite a guy and it gave the Spirit and Crossmen kids a fitting, sweet end to first tour for both corps.

Edited by Paul Milano
  • Like 4

In the audience tonight... Great evening and a full stadium are pluses. Jersey Surf show is well played but soft in tone, volume in person. Giving out the plumes is a nice touch. Good crowd...nice job.

Keep the reviews coming......good to hear from someone in the stand!

• Like 1

Oregon Crusaders

Oregon%20Crusaders.jpeg

• Like 1

And -- INT (no photo necessary. You know their show by heart.)

The actual score for Spirit in this show was one tenth of a point BELOW Crossmen. But since the two corps were such good friends, and the Crossmen corps director at that time, Robbie Robinson, was such a fine gentleman, he convinced the tabulator to lower the Crossmen's score by one tenth to cause the resulting tie. I was standing next to him when he did it. Quite a guy and it gave the Spirit and Crossmen kids a fitting, sweet end to first tour for both corps.

Wow. This is pretty amazing.

• Like 1

Oregon Crusaders

Oregon%20Crusaders.jpeg

Great pic. Looking at the shakos, I'm wondering if we are getting a little confused with the Coats here?

Great pic. Looking at the shakos, I'm wondering if we are getting a little confused with the Coats here?

I don't see the Scarecrow chair. She said she forgot to take pics of the Colts.