Allentown both nights

This will come in starts and stops, mainly because of how life is...I have 10 minutes now, so here I am!

Always fun to hit J Birney Crum Stadium. Even when a thunderstorm follows your car from Harrisburg to Allentown then hangs around after you not only arrive at the hotel, but hit Wawa and get to the parking lot at Pineville. But hey the show was delayed, so all was well.

good sized crowd. Don't know if it was a record, but it looked packed from my seats on the 42, side 2.tons of familiar faces, waved to friends watching online, and for a change the concessions line moved at a decent pace.

Bonus...got to see Bill and terry Ives and Darren Delaney in the souvie area.

crowd seemed better behaved this year, but could still hear warmups during ballads...and one percussion voice was coming from the left of the stadium, not down in the park.

Bit my tongue on a few people being old cranky ######## about what they hate about drum corps today. Luckily someone else then said "then leave" for me.

whoever was flying the drones Friday had our section amused.

Pioneer and Seattle...due to weather and the need to eat, I missed you both. I'm sorry about that, as I try to watch all corps at every show.

ok that's it for now, be back later!

That's not even the equivalent of a teaser trailer!

ok here we go:

we all know the concepts, no need to overanalyze those.

Pacific Crest; Fun show about No Strings Attached. at times, the concept does kind of go by the way side, but when they do touch on it, they do it well. And that's the key here....doing it well or not doing it well. there's a level of inconsistency in performance and design that keeps the corps from taking that next big step. Seeing a mello go down just highlights inconsistencies...that wasn't the cause of what was written, that was due to performance issues. Brass, percussion, visual....moments of brilliance and moments of non brilliance appear. When PC finally manages to get past those late season performance gaffes on an individual basis, the corps takes that next step.

Oregon Crusaders....I was entranced. This show totally hooked me in. Deep enough for those that want it, yet accessible for those who don't. it comes down to at this time performance. form clarity, musical issues perfected...the corps takes another stop, and they have taken a big one this year. this is IMO, the corps to watch. Their climb from OC to WC, and then in WC has been fun to watch. OC isn't afraid to boldly go outside of the box, but not too far that they lose fans. I really wish I could see this live again

Colts......I love Pink Floyd. I like Oz. I really don't care what happened in Oz after the movie ends, but the Colts tell us about it. and to me, the talking is too much, and interferes with the music. i'll go out and say that it's why PC beat them in all 3 music captions.Great music takes a backseat to the story and is at times basically soundtrack background stuff....and that's a shame. Don't get me wrong, the kid does a good job. I just think his job should be reduced.

Blue Stars are a hoot. easy to get, lots of great comedy moments in there. I mean even VK never had bubblewrap on the field! Since I'm in real estate and it's crazy busy season, I found a lot of it even funnier than most. here's the thing...there's a ###### good corps out there. Mapes and Grom drum book? Ok by me! brass feels much more involved in the show this year, and they perform it well. Look this show could be 10th. that shows you the quality ahead of them. I'm personally rooting they add mortgage jokes to push them up into 9th!

Boston...yes all animals are not created equal. Cute G7 drill. then...bass feature dead center in the field....tons of split stuff played great AND THEY BLOW UNISONS!!! that is unacceptable at this level!!!The guard is selling their ##### off to convey this deeper than should be plot. the corps aggression IMO affects performance musically. I actually like the darker Conquest version, a nice touch on a classic. shame the fans don't get into Conquest as they used to.

back with more soon....

finishing up Friday:

Blue Knights....this show comes across so much better live than online. It really hit home after losing a loved one that week. I personally would have had them over Phantom. Not sure why the brass ended up as it did. You can tell the kids are buying into the concept, and I smell emotional connection will only grow as we head towards finals. I know BK has been bagged in the past as the unemotional boring corps, but really, this show succeeds on so many levels. Whereas....

Phantom Regiment....it just didn't connect. Musically I thought BK was so much better, and really, I found myself feeling bad for the kids. There is talent there, but what they've been given is going to stall out. Lots of visual sloppiness, but I small a kick halt coming, if nothing else just to get a cheer. the guard placement stunned me, but looking back, well....again it's the material. the uniform changes did nothing for me...I think it's because it takes so long to get the entire corps there. I know Phantom seems to have that good show/bad show cycle going, and this is a bad one. I like it less than last year by a lot, and I didn't like last year.

SCV....i'm a drummer. I love the percussion. I trust Prosperie more than any judge on the planet, so if he says BD was better, I'll take his word, but Jesus was SCV percussion good.The show has grown on me all year, but it seems brass is still a weakness as Phantom beat them. the trombone moments really don't do anything for me...I'd rather see those bodies out running around. I still like 04 better mainly because, and note, I love the percussion, many of the percussion breaks seem forced on us. It's ok to embrace 04, and I think that try to not be a clone at times hurts the musical flow. Still....i'd have it 4th overall.

BD.....wow. I've been a vocal critic of BD the last several years. And when I saw a show based on Felini I was prepared to be one again. face it, if i'm flipping around the dial, and Felini film is on, i'm looking for another station. But finally, BD has given us a show you can get without having to dig deep or knowing Felini, and to boot, they chop n bop musical arranging is gone. Plus...the people running at times actually played more than whole notes too!! I liked it online, but live.....no contest. The spreads are as they should be. Percussion was on fire, brass had power, the guard, weird costumes aside was fantastic. In past years all of the props would come across as clutter. This year they don't. We all know it's going to win, and I'm ok with that because this show was phenomenal top to bottom.

Now, while I wait til tonight to do Saturday, someone check on Plan9, because if he sees I loved BD, he may need cardiac assistance!

• Like 1

Great stuff so far, Jeff!!!

Totally agree with you on the Blue Stars' show.

Saw 'em in West Chester....lots of great tongue-in-cheek moments. A nice break from some of the oh-so-serious stuff out there.

Great review, as always!! Yes, BD is unreal and DCI might as well be engraving the trophy.

ok Saturday night:

Jersey Surf....after a 2 year departure, Surf went a little more serious. The concept makes sense, I'm just not sure if it was communicated well enough for everyone to get it. the many color plumes are gone for all white ones. percussion played really well, and visual and effect both beat Mandarins. However at this point, it seems brass performance is the one key to helping the corps go forward down the road. Even still, Surf is hitting their highest scores in WC ever.

Mandarins.....I am a Key poulan fan, but it seems if any corps has a way of taking his work and leaving me flat, it's Mandarins.The concept makes sense again, but again i'm not sure it's fully fleshed out for the whole show. I can see why Surf beat them visually and in effect. right now, it's music that's keping them ahead.

Academy...what a fun show to rebound from last year's disaster! If the corps can clean up musically, they can catch Spirit. They move well, but too many minor musical miscues are holding back the scores. It's a lot of easy fixes IMO, so hopefully a few good days of rehearsals can get the improvements needed. I wish i could see this one again as there's some serious subtle comedy in there

Spirit....I really really hoped we'd get some Southern Spirit....but I really felt the music arrangement had no Southern Soul. the Porgy and Bess stuff just didn't hook me in. visually, at times the tree came off as a crutch or distraction. The kids are giving their all, i think in the end, it comes down to what they were given.

Troopers....yes please! simple concept, and the corps seems primed to make another finals week charge like last year, driven by a snoking percussion section. America is close to being serious goosebumps, and of course Allentown always loves its Troopers. With some serious deep cleaning this week, who only knows what Troop can pull off, but I look forward to seeing it.

Crossmen....fun show, but I too wonder if the wagons will move. The series of drill moves leading to the Maltese Cross reveal is awesome. Drums have some old school Bones swagger, and visually the corps is starting to click. if they can find that same level musically, this show can take off like a rocket this week. it's fun, the performance is starting to come together, and like 2012, we're seeing a Bones show on Saturday night.

Madison....i was so hyped early season when the show was announced. a down ending? So un Madison like, and it left the crowd flat. The wheel IMO is a distraction, and while I get the concept, many people around me didn't. I think what bpthered me most, as well as many others was the choppy musical arrangement. Ellis and Kenton do great work, and we're never allowed to fully invest in any one piece. Plus Madison screamers playing into mics? I'm sure the idea looked good on paper, but right now, performance by the kids is what's keeping it there.

oh my have the Cavies grown this year. Easily te marimba moments are highlights to be remembered not just for the gimmick, but the performance as well. The percussion flat out is smoking. the visual is starting to gel, and the brass line has really come along this year. It's serious in spots, it's fun in spots, the musical arrangements are there...this indeed may be the show that propels the Cavies back to the top.

Crown....well percussion is nowhere as bad as last year, but it's still a weakness. the brass is outstanding, tho it seems to be running out of gas at the end. I enjoyed the show..I remember running home to see Peter Schilling on mtv in 1984, and still have that tape somewhere! While the intro does come off as Einstein on the beach to ground control, it is well done, and when they hit you with that first brass chord, look out! I love Interstellar Suite, so that's a huge plus, and they doa great job with it. I found the trampolines to be distracting, and really, after the first set of frisbees went flying, I was over it. The drum break on the metal is cool, but did seem to drag...and the closer, IMO just died. It's a great idea, I think they just tried to do too much with it.

Bluecoats...yes please! I so wish I could see this again. Easily better than 2010, their best effort to date. as performance cleans, i can see them beating Cadets on both sides of the visual house, especially if they get the ending clean. At no time did the props seem to distract, and the color works well against the corps uniforms and the field. The percussion is stupid sick, and they won brass! really it's going to come down to cleaning the visual. I'm not sure what other surprises they have in their bag to pull out, but I will say this: Allentown went nuts for an effect driven by electronics. it's taken us 5 years, but we have seen this year the best usage of electronics to date in a drum corps show. Can it gets 2nd? yes, it can. Not sure if it will, but the potential is there.

Cadets....maybe it's me, and I recognize the kids are performing their ##### off, but the show failed to move me. The uniform changes to me do not tie in with the concept, and the way the narrator walks around with the book makes me feel like i'm being preached to Sunday morning or in a civics lecture. I get the idea they want, but it's overdone. The stage and the vocals do make the corps far too often appear as background music. I'm sure there's tweaks coming, but App Apring after the percussion moment coming from the back left just didn't take me there. I'm not comparing it to 87 or even SCV 09...you can't. Just the nature of the arrangement and how it's tied in with the words etc....and then the people on stage in uniforms posing render the corps again to be background. I'm sure the faithful will call me a hater....look, the kids are doing ###### good stuff...but what they've been given is keeping it from going where it could.

bridgemen...I was not able to stay and watch, as the babysitters needed to be freed from duty. caught snippets on the way out, and well....to me again the comedy isn't as fresh as it could be. musically i did hear some power in the opening.

thats it for this year...i'm sure as i watch Friday and Saturday i'll have comments to throw in

Always a treat to read your thoughts, Jeff! Not only is there great time and effort to prepare these reports, but you always "Tells 'em, like he see's 'em." That keeps everyone of us following along as we watch all of this unfold ourselves. I haven't witnessed a DCI season this entertaining, yet so full of tension, in many years. I know you feel the same.

Best wishes to the family!

Always a treat to read your thoughts, Jeff! Not only is there great time and effort to prepare these reports, but you always "Tells 'em, like he see's 'em." That keeps everyone of us following along as we watch all of this unfold ourselves. I haven't witnessed a DCI season this entertaining, yet so full of tension, in many years. I know you feel the same.

Best wishes to the family!

omg...lol...thank God the " tells it like I saw it" has been thrown out of proper things to say by judges....lol I still cringe when I hear those words from bitd....lol

Edited by GUARDLING

I had a great chat with a friend last night, who summed up the appeal of Allentown so well. I thought I'd share:

"Allentown is that throw back show, everyone grumbles about, yet still loves. yes in todays world of super shows in NFL type venues, we get spared weather, we don't have to walk that hill, we have top of the line food and bathrooms so clean you could eat off the floor. But Allentown is outside, it's tailgate heaven, you see people you know from all over, and you get the corps a week before finals. The place has band kids galore yet they seem to behave, sometimes better than the adults. it is, IMO, the BEST stop on the tour because of all of it's plusses and minuses, and no disrespect to Indy, Atlanta, San Antonio and the rest, but it has the best atmosphere of them all. I've been to all of those venues. I'll take Allentown anytime. if it could host finals, i'd be all over it."

I don't think I can say it any better than that!!

• Like 3