No more chopped arrangements - please!

Uhh, care to document that there big guy.

This is as specious as Fred's claim that audiences shrink.

And, again, you've found a way (or not forgotten) to make this discussion about your BD Honkishness. Yes, it's true that BD does new and unexpected things but, after reading the whole thread to catch up, I don't think you can claim that those reading and posting are secretly saying "I HATE BD and it's because they are so innovative!". Well, some few could be saying that. But the issue is more generational than corps-specific.

There's not been much around here in your absence that you could call BD-hate, and maybe that's because BD is finishing phrases this year. Ya' think?

Well G, you know me, I never pass up the opportunity to be specious. Not too certain about your numbers (I think you manage a show don't you?) but generally speaking the fan base is steady or increasing and it doesn't matter a whit about chop and bop. We love DC and we will support it....and there will always be plenty of what you like and remember. You don't like what's on the field?.....just wait for the next corps to perform. BTW, I never mentioned hate....just the connection between innovation and winning....and innovation and placing out of finals. I'm pretty sure if you went back through the DCP archives you'd find the same thing over and over, "I hope no one follows what BD is doing" and "this is my last finals" and "blah, blah the end of drum corps as we know it".....which obviously never comes to pass. THAT was the nature of my comment to Fred. Bottom line: Like or dislike all the show design and musical phrasing you want, that's what we do here......just don't take it to the extreme in an attempt to scare the designers straight (figuratively speaking :cool:).....that dog don't hunt!

Exactly!

The perfect reprise makes a show complete.

Phantom Regiment 2003 comes to mind, when they go back into Pachelbel's Canon. One of the greatest reprises in DCI history. I can literally replay the final minute of that show in my head, complete with drill, guard, percussion and brass, as if it were a DVD in my head.

Things like that make a show memorable.

This, all of this!

lol...didn't want to say...but that does bring up an interesting point!!!!!

It doesn't have to be perfectly clean to be effective! It wasn't a visual mess, it had some dirt...but it didn't really matter.

In fact, I would dare say that the dirt made it more "human"...I find that I could connect with it very well, because the dirt shows that even though they didn't get it perfectly clean, they still put all they had into it, and they put more effort into the music, what we hear, moreso than what we saw. The gift those kids gave to us that season was musical in nature, and they presented us with the best.

Harmonic Journey wasn't a top of the line visual program, but it didn't have to be. In fact, I've never been much of a fan of PR's visual programs...but the music that year was one of the best musical programs ever created. I didn't care about the dirt, I cared about the music and the effort they put into it.

Does anybody else agree? That dirt doesn't mean much, if the musical program makes up for it? Remember, they did take 4th that year.

Completely agree that it's one of best music books of all time. Now just imagine that Thompson & Sage had BOTH been there that year to create a visual package to match it!

• Like 1

You don't like what's on the field?.....just wait for the Blue Devils to perform.

Edited to reflect poster's actual thought process. :tongue:

I love modern drum corps!

Summer Honor Marching Band International

Of course. The arrangers can do whatever they want. They can experiment with all music that makes no sense to a general audience, if they choose. There is a real risk in that kind of creativity. When audiences shrink, comments come in that are unflattering, any words of defense will similarly be ignored. Some of the 'modified' stuff I've heard is almost ridiculous at this level of presentation, serving only the egos of the few. Seems to me, when you make your living in a football stadium, mass appeal is important, I'm sure there are exceptions, but not many.

Post of the year candidate.

"make your living in a football stadium"...right.

Most executive directors don't get paid all that much. The one that makes the most I think makes $120k. No idea what Hopkins gets. Most are $50k or below.

The show designers don't get much. They don't make their living off of one corps.

And to suggest that they don't care because after all they get paid anyhow, is completely ########, forgive my choice of adjective.

Probably should have used 'when you know on which side your bread is buttered,' but that could have created even more generational misunderstanding. :rolleyes:

I wish BIG things for Cavaliers this weekend!

(actually, great happiness for all)

Edited to reflect poster's actual thought process. :tongue:

Actually Fran, you might be surprised to know that my favorite show this year is "Tilt".....with BD getting the nod for best performance...and most certainly the title. :cool: