No more chopped arrangements - please!

One of my favorite closers even if it was a visual mess.

lol...didn't want to say...but that does bring up an interesting point!!!!!

It doesn't have to be perfectly clean to be effective! It wasn't a visual mess, it had some dirt...but it didn't really matter.

In fact, I would dare say that the dirt made it more "human"...I find that I could connect with it very well, because the dirt shows that even though they didn't get it perfectly clean, they still put all they had into it, and they put more effort into the music, what we hear, moreso than what we saw. The gift those kids gave to us that season was musical in nature, and they presented us with the best.

Harmonic Journey wasn't a top of the line visual program, but it didn't have to be. In fact, I've never been much of a fan of PR's visual programs...but the music that year was one of the best musical programs ever created. I didn't care about the dirt, I cared about the music and the effort they put into it.

Does anybody else agree? That dirt doesn't mean much, if the musical program makes up for it? Remember, they did take 4th that year.

Edited by BoyWonder1911

So let me get this straight........95% of all corps (open and world class) perform fairly traditional music and drill, with nuance and originality of course...but largely traditional....(minimal or no chopped charts, no scatter drill, etc)............ AND we want that other 5% to frickin' get in line! :blink: What a completely boring and unimaginative concept. I want DC designers (music and visual) to explore as much as they have imagination to do. If it doesn't work, it will give them a measure to adjust from and make better.....all for our benefit. I say Chop Away!

I swear I missed you and your logical posts.

As long as scores are visually driven, the designers are going to continue using music snippets to allow them to bring judges on an 11 minute journey loaded with as much relative content as possible. Judges like the rest of us have short attention spans and want constant stimulation. I don't necessarily agree but it is the case as is the migration away from amazing whiplash drills (ala Cadets) of the past. Too much performance exposure and not enough content credit to justify doing it. Hopefully a top tier corps will address these issues next season and thrill us but as long as BD shows are winning and at such large scoring gaps, I don't see designers changing the formula if they want to be competitively viable.

Does anybody else agree? That dirt doesn't mean much, if the musical program makes up for it? Remember, they did take 4th that year.

Very much so. It seems so important while it's happening, but years later, it's my number one played APD (I believe it's been played between 300-400 times on my ipod).

• Like 1

lol...didn't want to say...but that does bring up an interesting point!!!!!

It doesn't have to be perfectly clean to be effective! It wasn't a visual mess, it had some dirt...but it didn't really matter.

In fact, I would dare say that the dirt made it more "human"...I find that I could connect with it very well, because the dirt shows that even though they didn't get it perfectly clean, they still put all they had into it, and they put more effort into the music, what we hear, moreso than what we saw. The gift those kids gave to us that season was musical in nature, and they presented us with the best.

Harmonic Journey wasn't a top of the line visual program, but it didn't have to be. In fact, I've never been much of a fan of PR's visual programs...but the music that year was one of the best musical programs ever created. I didn't care about the dirt, I cared about the music and the effort they put into it.

I agree with you 100%. It makes the show come off as less robotic. Personally, I use drum corps shows as study music daily so I never actually watch the visual program. Dirt in any show for that matter doesn't really bother me once the season is over and I'm just using the shows as if they're a normal song on my iPhone.

Very much so. It seems so important while it's happening, but years later, it's my number one played APD (I believe it's been played between 300-400 times on my ipod).

What do you think about Crown 2009? That's my favorite musical program. I've been trying to write a drill to that on micromarching. com. Talking about chopped arrangements, 2009 Crown seemed to have pretty much kept to longer, complete melodies. I think that's what made it such a great score.

I swear I missed you and your logical posts.

You still owe me pushups Tek! :tounge2:

What do you think about Crown 2009? That's my favorite musical program. I've been trying to write a drill to that on micromarching. com. Talking about chopped arrangements, 2009 Crown seemed to have pretty much kept to longer, complete melodies. I think that's what made it such a great score.

Love Crown 2009!

Of course. The arrangers can do whatever they want. They can experiment with all music that makes no sense to a general audience, if they choose. There is a real risk in that kind of creativity. When audiences shrink, comments come in that are unflattering, any words of defense will similarly be ignored. Some of the 'modified' stuff I've heard is almost ridiculous at this level of presentation, serving only the egos of the few. Seems to me, when you make your living in a football stadium, mass appeal is important, I'm sure there are exceptions, but not many.

And here are my two favorites: 1) Apparently you are the arbiter of what makes no sense to the general audience, and therefore, will let us know when that is.... AND 2) my personal favorite..... "the audience will shrink as a result of said experimentation" ......really? ....I mean, really?? This is all merely conjecture on your part Fred, if not wishful thinking. IMO, the activity is better for the likes of nuance and experimentation, and trying new instrumentation and electronics (well, some electronics), and staging and props that make the field more that one dimension. I'm not crazy about narration, but if it is tasteful....go for it. There's nothing to fear here, only a few do it anyway......and the audience is NOT shrinking!!

• Like 3

And here are my two favorites: 1) Apparently you are the arbiter of what makes no sense to the general audience, and therefore, will let us know when that is.... AND 2) my personal favorite..... "the audience will shrink as a result of said experimentation" ......really? ....I mean, really?? This is all merely conjecture on your part Fred, if not wishful thinking. IMO, the activity is better for the likes of nuance and experimentation, and trying new instrumentation and electronics (well, some electronics), and staging and props that make the field more that one dimension. I'm not crazy about narration, but if it is tasteful....go for it. There's nothing to fear here, only a few do it anyway......and the audience is NOT shrinking!!

I knew you would misinterpret/misquote and find offense in what I wrote. Besides, most EVERYTHING written here is conjecture, no? I'm not attacking what you believe. I am offering what I believe. Pardon me for being such an ignorant novice. I'll catch up to you one day! :bigsmile: