No more chopped arrangements - please!

I knew you would misinterpret/misquote and find offense in what I wrote. Besides, most EVERYTHING written here is conjecture, no? I'm not attacking what you believe. I am offering what I believe. Pardon me for being such an ignorant novice. I'll catch up to you one day! :bigsmile:

Fred, if you catch up to me.....you'll be at the back of the pack! :smile: And yes, it's all conjecture.... but many on DCP have used the myth (in their debate) that the DCI audience will abandon it, if whatever their gripe de jour is continues! And next year the same thing happens and the audience is bigger. Let's cut to the chase......the elephant in the room is the corps that do the new stuff and win (or #### near win), that's what bugs people....if they came in 10th, you'd hear crickets from the DCP cabal. So it's not so much about chop and scatter.....it's about chop and scatter and win!

Edited by Plan9

The ultimate arbiter of 'creative license' will be the marketplace. Judging from what I've seen and heard this year, the consumers are reacting more positively than they have in years. This, during an obvious return back to melody. Hmmm.

For the health of DCI's business side, I hope this season is not just a brief anomaly.

Fred, is this an anecdotal observation of crowd reaction, or are you speaking of "consumers" in the literal sense in that they are opening their wallets to spend on shows they like?

Just curious how you know that this years' shows have been good for DCI's business side?

Just from my own perspective... I am actually finding more corps doing a bit more on the "extended melody" front this season... and I like the trend!!!

I am enjoying far more shows than I am not enjoying on the DCI side this season. And, as a fan, that's a good thing.

I'm with you. I mean the usual worst offender, BD is among the best.

I do agree about Madison 100000000% though. it's bad

Fred, if you catch up to me.....you'll be at the back of the pack! :smile: And yes, it's all conjecture.... but many on DCP have used the myth (in their debate) that the DCI audience will abandon it, if whatever their gripe de jour is continues! And next year the same thing happens and the audience is bigger. Let's cut to the chase......the elephant in the room is the corps that do the new stuff and win (or #### near win), that's what bugs people....if they came in 10th, you'd hear crickets from the DCP cabal. So it's not so much about chop and scatter.....it's about chop and scatter and win!

Uhh, care to document that there big guy.

This is as specious as Fred's claim that audiences shrink.

And, again, you've found a way (or not forgotten) to make this discussion about your BD Honkishness. Yes, it's true that BD does new and unexpected things but, after reading the whole thread to catch up, I don't think you can claim that those reading and posting are secretly saying "I HATE BD and it's because they are so innovative!". Well, some few could be saying that. But the issue is more generational than corps-specific.

There's not been much around here in your absence that you could call BD-hate, and maybe that's because BD is finishing phrases this year. Ya' think?

Garfield,

I don't (yet) have direct knowledge business has been better this year for DCI. Based on crowd reactions I have observed, the reaction has appeared to be positive and approving. Those traits should lead to an increase in 'sales.' And, if so, in this economy, that's quite an accomplishment! As you are well aware, any increase in sales can still lead to a lower net than before. I just get the impression DCI is doing well, as to income, and assign some of that to positive word of mouth by those who have already seen an obvious, to me, 'friendlier' product. This is all going in the RIGHT direction, I think.

Edited by Fred Windish

Fred, is this an anecdotal observation of crowd reaction, or are you speaking of "consumers" in the literal sense in that they are opening their wallets to spend on shows they like?

Just curious how you know that this years' shows have been good for DCI's business side?

not to change the subject,,,its kinda about all this...How was your show? How did the food trucks work out. You promoted it alot but never said how it worked out. Maybe you did and I missed it.I've been quite busy myself heading toward the end of season...just curious

Garfield,

I don't (yet) have direct knowledge business has been better this year for DCI. Based on crowd reactions I have observed, the reaction has appeared to be positive and approving. Those traits should lead to an increase in 'sales.' And, if so, in this economy, that's quite an accomplishment! As you are well aware, any increase in sales can still lead to a lower net than before. I just get the impression DCI is doing well, as to income, and assign some of that to positive word of mouth by those who have already seen an obvious, to me, 'friendlier' product. This is all going in the RIGHT direction, I think.

I appreciate the clarification, Fred.

In my opinion (not that it means a diddly-fiddle), rep is a product of what the young kids in indoor and marching band like, are used to, and are doing. Just go look at the production of any competitive HS band program, or indoor line, and you'll see the roots of today's DCI field product. Chop-and-cut product has been the venue of the Blue Devils for the last several years and, without debating their merit (as much as Plan wants to), it is obvious to me that the BD organization got the message about their productions because chop and bop is not back this year. At least not in the same degree. This BD production, besides being beautiful in and of itself, is more reminiscent of the BD-of-lore than any I've seen in a long time.

But what BD has done this year is not the point. The average tenure of today's drum corps fan is three years, and the participant tenure is not much different than that. Today's designers are designing band programs and inspire (or steal from) today's indoor lines. Every year what's considered "normal" is different because the fan and participant base changes so frequently and the activity morphs to appeal to the MM's of today.

If those audiences contain old dinos who constantly complain and refuse to see that, fundamentally, the activity hasn't changed one iota, well, there they are. But those legacy fans leave or die and the new fans and MM's continue to rotate in.

Edited by garfield

Will have to change the judging sheets and expectations to change this.

not to change the subject,,,its kinda about all this...How was your show? How did the food trucks work out. You promoted it alot but never said how it worked out. Maybe you did and I missed it.I've been quite busy myself heading toward the end of season...just curious

I'll PM you so the thread doesn't get derailed. And thanks for asking.