I&E is now "Performer's Showcase"?

I noticed that I&E is now called "Performer's Showcase" :

( http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=5b29d729-9624-4bcc-9681-ade52750fe41 )

... and is sponsored by System Blue. Not sure how I feel about I&E being sponsored by a single corps, because it feels biased to me.

Does anyone know anything about this change? Was this so hard for DCI to run?

Why? Time away from practice time?

well I wont speak for others BUT yes that was part of it., also many corps dont stay that close for transportation, team sport not individual split focus preparing, lack of enough interest, those are some of the reasons which of course can all be debated and Im sure will...lol

I noticed that I&E is now called "Performer's Showcase" :

( http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=5b29d729-9624-4bcc-9681-ade52750fe41 )

... and is sponsored by System Blue. Not sure how I feel about I&E being sponsored by a single corps, because it feels biased to me.

Does anyone know anything about this change? Was this so hard for DCI to run?

System Blue rescued the event last year or the year before. It's not new, and to be honest, I like the "Performer's Showcase" name. It's a lot more descriptive, and easier to market than an acronym people outside the activity never understood. The sad thing, and what should really set you off, isn't who sponsors it...it's the fact that many corps don't allow their members to participate because they won't give up a few rehearsal hours.

• Like 2

Originally I and E involved individuals showcasing drum corps talents then it went to overall musical talent, and talent is the operative word, but now we see awards for oboe and violin and vocals and while I think it's great we have so many talented performers, is it really DCI's place to honor these accomplishments? If it builds up drum corps as an activity, it's worth keeping, but if not, it may be a distraction, an enjoyable one, but a distraction none the less.

This may also be a thread that music educators can give perspective. They can let us know whether focusing on individual talents actually make a person a better fit for drum corps or whether it takes time away. They are the ones who know the young people and work with them throughout the year.

It gives performers a chance to shine no matter the placement of their corps. I think it's great and welcome all forms of performance. If you don't like Oboe or vocals...Don't go watch them. pretty simple really.

• Like 2

It gives performers a chance to shine no matter the placement of their corps. I think it's great and welcome all forms of performance. If you don't like Oboe or vocals...Don't go watch them. pretty simple really.

Liking oboe or vocals really is not the issue. I would assume anyone on DCP is a music lover. You are also correct in mentioning it gives kids the opportunity to shine regardless of corps placement shoeing all corps has lots of talent. You also bring up a good point about not going. That's the problem. People have not been going. It was moved away from finals and put in San Antonio on an off day for most corps to increase participation and an audience and the audience did not materialize.