If you could take over a corps, and money isn't an issue...

What the heck is it with you people and "winning"? All it is to you is win win win. Do you think winning really matters?? It doesn't.

Winning a trophy proves diddly squat. Proves nothing at all. It's merely incidental. An unentertaining show (and I mean that in the objective sense) is just that. Judges don't judge entertainment. So who gives a crap? I wouldn't sell my soul for a gold medal, and if money weren't an issue, I wouldn't take the easy way out to achieve an objective.

did you forget that this is competition?..lol

• Like 1

What the heck is it with you people and "winning"? All it is to you is win win win. Do you think winning really matters?? It doesn't.

Winning a trophy proves diddly squat. Proves nothing at all. It's merely incidental. An unentertaining show (and I mean that in the objective sense) is just that. Judges don't judge entertainment. So who gives a crap? I wouldn't sell my soul for a gold medal, and if money weren't an issue, I wouldn't take the easy way out to achieve an objective.

I get it but winning matters on so many fronts, including recruiting and financial support. The fact is, winning means the Devils sift through thousands of potential recruits to get their cast, and as a result they start with a top five program before they even play the first note. They are what Alabama is to college football. Fortunately, not everyone can play for the Devils.

Interesting thing to me, just FWIW, is Carolina Crown. Here is why.

You look at how DCI has succeeded and survived, it is almost exclusively due to two very small geographic pockets of elite corps: central California and upper midwest. Pretty easy to surmise how these corps feed off of each other in every way, including recruiting, fan support and donors. But then you look at Crown, which is nowhere close to anyone else, and they won a world title last year, and have emerged as one of the elite corps.

From what I can surmise, it seems as though the true success of the Devils is their total organization, and not just the World Class corps. They have figured out a total business plan that, in effect, uses the visibility and success of the corps to draw in people to their other revenue streams. I think it would be very hard to succeed long term as just a corps on any level, because it takes so much money and resources to field one.

Judges would still be a part of the show but their roles would flow better with the score sheet. Slotting would be a thing of the past and have no place in my organization. Fans would become a integral part of the process as fans are what pays the bills and fans have future sons and daughters to keep the org alive.

Interesting idea. As long as there are judges making subjective decisions, it might be hard to not have some sort of slotting. Giving fans a say in results could be tricky. It could end up no different then voting on line for the cutest baby contest and a contestants relatives/friends really get the "votes" out" even if only one vote per e-mail. You have a finals in a region close to a WC corps (Whitewater, West Coast, etc.) and see how the stands get packed with supporters. But, I might be reading too much into your thoughts.

Interesting idea. As long as there are judges making subjective decisions, it might be hard to not have some sort of slotting. Giving fans a say in results could be tricky. It could end up no different then voting on line for the cutest baby contest and a contestants relatives/friends really get the "votes" out" even if only one vote per e-mail. You have a finals in a region close to a WC corps (Whitewater, West Coast, etc.) and see how the stands get packed with supporters. But, I might be reading too much into your thoughts.

I've given this thought before...I think slotting comes from the Boxes (Box 4/Box 5, etc) and score ranges associated with each box. When Cadets take the field they are automatically placed in a higher Box than say Madison is ( or pick a corps), thus their scores are automatically higher due to the scores associated with that particular box.

One thing I'd like to see is an open discussion with DCI judges explaining to US what they are looking at...for example, what is GE? How do they determine Rep and Achv scores? I would like to see some transparency in that regard.

Edited by JKT90
  • Like 1

Ok, so this is basically a variation on fantasy drum corps? Sounds fun. Let's do this...

Drill: Michael Gaines

Brass arranging: Doug Thrower

Percussion arranging: Tom Rarick

Brass team: Crown's current brass staff

Visual team: Cavaliers vis staff from 2006

Percussion caption head: Mike McIntosh

Color guard: Scott Chandler

Now excuse us while we sweep every caption AND entertain the bejesus out of the crowd. :)

• Like 1

I'd select either one of two

1. Boston Crusaders: They have such a talented board with a vision and a plan, and lots of great people who get the work done. All I'd have to do is watch and take the credit!

2. Carolina Crown: Everyone seems to be so nice, it would be great.

I'd create a new corps if money was no object. Either that or resurrect one that folded for financial reasons. I think that would be more fun than taking one over that currently exists and is healthy financially.

I would love to bring back a corps like the velvet knights. I still think you can be a top corps and have fun doing it. 2nd choice would be the Bridgemen. They were not quite so "relaxed", but still had a fair amount of fun with drum corps.

I get tired of the same things rehashed every year.