2014 World Championship Prelims + Big, Live & Loud!

Now, I don't get emotional very often.......but when it got the part in the Blue Knights show about holding your grandmothers hands.......I got pretty emotional and had some tears. Me and my Grandma are really close, and thinking about how much she enjoyed it tonight.......that's a one second I will remember for a long time. Thank you Blue Knights, you were her favorite show. And almost mine too. She liked the message and thought the colors were really pretty.

That's so awesome!! This is an amazing activity, and it's always special when a show hits on a level far beyond source material or drill or guard costumes! Its great that you got to hang out with your grandma and not only enjoy the shows but share that cool moment!

I'm not sure how to feel about Cadets' new ending. It seemed kinda...over the top.

Like... well over the top. I almost expected fireworks.

• Like 3

The huge winner in tonight's show was Santa Clara. What a lavish, elegant, visually arresting, sweeping, epic production. I believe they can add more points still if they give the lead character a moment of stress or emotional strife during one of her stories. Then, by the end, we feel like she's been through it and survived. We need a a bigger emotional journey, a bigger emotional range. I believe they can overtake Bluecoats.

• Like 4

Great show at the theatre tonight...best ever! The sound was good and loud! And there were no technical issues. Good job DCI and Rave theatre

Edited by frank4now

I'm not sure how to feel about Cadets' new ending. It seemed kinda...over the top.

It was like adding frosting to a cake made of frosting. Just bizarre. Ug.

I'll be interested to see it tomorrow on FN, but that's not surprising. It seems whenever they've done Americana-type shows in the last few decades they've gone a bit over the top for the ending: the year they had the firetruck sirens going, in 95 re-creating Iwo Jima soldier pose, etc.

How did the crowd react to the new ending?

Quick personal thoughts:

Blue Devils - Undeniable. Flawless. Incredible. Hadn't watched it since Atlanta. Jesus. And I enjoyed every d a m n second of it.

The Cadets - An absolutely awesome corps with a show I just can't get into. I enjoyed the end of Lincoln and thought the drums were pretty hot, but the rest.....meh. They're amazing though.

Bluecoats - Seemed off in places tonight, but what a show. Could care less if they end up 4th, that show is amazing.

Santa Clara Vanguard - Beautiful, and they were ON tonight! Not a fan of the color scheme, but they were hot.

Carolina Crown - This show is starting to turn into something really special, can see why they're 5th, but I had a blast watching them.

Cavaliers - Absolutely fun drum corps. Simple as that.

Blue Knights - Just beautiful and touching, got some tears out of me.

Phantom Regiment - Regardless of the show, they're performing the hell out of that.

Blue Stars - They were HOT tonight! They're peaking at the right time. Guard wasn't carrying them either (8th), they were solid across the board. Nice to see drums getting some higher scores!

Boston Crusaders - A ballsy show, just not clean enough.

Madison Scouts - They sound amazing and the show really cooks in some spots, amazing soloists. Just a little disjointed, but I found myself enjoying it tonight.

Crossmen - CLEAN! I think they're a shoe in for 12th.

Colts - Was very surprised to see them top Troopers. I've liked this show less every time I've seen it. Fantastic visual design and some nice arrangements, but when you base your show around a very detailed story you run the risk of people not understanding at all, and pretty much my whole theater felt the same way. It's hard for me to follow and I've seen it probably 20 times this summer. At least the mic didn't cut out 30 times......

Troopers - If they had another week.....that percussion got hosed. 19th? SERIOUSLY PERCUSSION 1? Hey, they're a fan favorite, what more can you ask for?

Spirit of Atlanta - They're giving their all into a show that doesn't work.

It's the Blue Devils' world. The rest of us are just living in it. :tongue:

This was the first time I've seen them this season... and they were absolutely unbelievable. On a completely different level.

• Like 2