2014 World Championship Prelims + Big, Live & Loud!

Has no one noticed that Blue Devils guard portrays a woman getting slapped? The effect is softened because she is smiling. This is sexualized violence.

This is not a show it would not promote as a good example of family entertainment. I am ashamed of the Blue Devils show.

• Like 3

I'll be interested to see it tomorrow on FN, but that's not surprising. It seems whenever they've done Americana-type shows in the last few decades they've gone a bit over the top for the ending: the year they had the firetruck sirens going, in 95 re-creating Iwo Jima soldier pose, etc.

How did the crowd react to the new ending?

The crowd at the show seemed to like it, but everyone in my theater was still waiting for the fireworks to go off and the corps to break into 1812 Overture.

Edited by Double.D

The huge winner in tonight's show was Santa Clara. What a lavish, elegant, visually arresting, sweeping, epic production. I believe they can add more points still if they give the lead character a moment of stress or emotional strife during one of her stories. Then, by the end, we feel like she's been through it and survived. We need a a bigger emotional journey, a bigger emotional range. I believe they can overtake Bluecoats.

This was my first viewing this season of SCV... and I completely agree with your description. Exceptional.

Thoughts from my Grandma whom I took tonight, no musical background whatsoever.

Spirit of Atlanta - Pretty guard costumes, liked the closer.

Colts - Did not like the uniform, they were good but she did not understand the show at all.

Troopers - Really liked them!

Crossmen - One her favorites, they were really good.

Madison Scouts - She liked the music, but didn't understand what the show was about.

Blue Stars - She thought the floor plan was really cool and really liked the music, and it was one of the few shows she really understood.

Boston Crusaders - Really weird.

Phantom Regiment - She went to complain about the air conditioner, it was off and getting REALLY hot. It was 105 outside today so......

Cavaliers - Really fun!

Carolina Crown - Did not like the uniforms, but thought they were really good.

Santa Clara Vanguard - LOVED the colors! She thought the ending was really pretty.

Bluecoats - She thought it was REALLY cool! She liked how easy to get it was.

The Cadets - She liked it a lot, but she felt like there was too much going on.

Blue Devils - She didn't really get the show, but even she said they were really good.

Now, I don't get emotional very often.......but when it got the part in the Blue Knights show about holding your grandmothers hands.......I got pretty emotional and had some tears. Me and my Grandma are really close, and thinking about how much she enjoyed it tonight.......that's a one second I will remember for a long time. Thank you Blue Knights, you were her favorite show. And almost mine too. She liked the message and thought the colors were really pretty.

I love that you took your grandma....nice post

Edited by frank4now

Live in the stadium tonight

BD in a class of their own.

Cadets...good run, but the four tarps at the end with the faces of Americans of every race creed and color read not at all at the suite level. Maybe upstairs they're fine. The transition from Lincoln to FDR is still pretty graceless and "because we said so" rather than organic.

Bluecoats biggest response of the night. Fun show, well performed, not technically clean enough to win (and speaking of graceless, there's very little attempt at unified physicality when it comes time to move the wedges; God is in the details).

SCV. Visually one of the best packages this year. They still haven't made me get why there's a reason to revisit essentially the same music ten years down the road, but the drumlins is making a statement. Great color and texture in the guard, maybe the best of the year.

Crown. Cool horn effects and the sound is really as good as anyone has ever had, though the show itself feels a little out of shape. Drumline...ouch.

Cavaliers. Run was a little dry. Package is still such a huge improvement over the last two seasons that it almost doesn't matter. They'll get better as the week goes.

BK. Trophy for most improved. Overall show feels very well balanced in terms of design, and I would have have them over both Regiment and Cavaliers in horns.

PR. The kids are doing what they can. The staff gave them a title-contending show from 1999.

Blue Stars...seen them a bunch of times, the show still doesn't do much for me. Muddy drum sound (tuning more than performance, I'm guessing).

Madison...wish they'd just cleaned the package they started the season with rather than tossing music that was working better than this. Horn line is doing what they can, but the overall visual package never really uses the white uniforms' definition the way it could and should. Instead, they're put in lots of blobby forms.

Crossmen solid in all captions. They're in for Saturday.

Colts still get my turnaround of the year vote. I thought it was a disaster in June. The kids still aren't marching it very cleanly, but the program design is significantly ballsier than the two corps above them, and taking risks and making them work is worth something.

There have been some years when the Blue Knights have left me staring off into space... not getting their program at all.

But this year... wow. What a well-conceived, well-designed, well-performed show. :thumbup:

I think of some of the "one second" moments in my life.... in particular losing my wife to illness a few years ago, and just recently finding a wonderful new lady in my life....and this show really hits home. Bravo to the Blue Knights!!!

• Like 2

Also, BAC is really close to the Blue Stars - they might jump 'em soon

Actually, the Blue Stars have been close to BAC all season and jumped them tonight. Would not be surprised if the gap opened the next two nights.

Went to the theatre tonight, flying into Indy in 7 hours.

I had some freeze issues with the FN shows also, but I had to run to my local library during a break, got on a computer there and had no issues with either angle.

I really like the Colts this year, but I would enjoy it more with just 1/2 of the narration.

I also like Crossmen a lot, but those wagons add absolutely nothing to the show.

One of BK's best shows ever.

I have not seen Jay Bocook in a while, but I swear he could pass himself off as Archie Manning.

This year's nominee for "bathing in chocolate" quote? Rondo and his "Brassgasm" remark.