Im sorry DCI, you need to fix the scoring again

It doesn't matter if you have 6, 60, or 600 trumpets, if it's not clean. Crown's brass feature was not clean tonight, and it wasn't clean in Allentown. BD, however, had a 40 trumpet feature, complete with the all important triple tounging, and it was clean.

As a matter of curiosity . . . how can the judges tell who is clean and who isn't in that echo chamber?

• Like 3

That all trumpet and mello part in Crown's show is the most amazing brass part of a show I have ever witnessed. The 40 trumpet part in BD's show is nice, but it really is not all that difficult. Certainly not in comparison with what Crown did right after that muffler percussion part. Both hornlines deserve to win the Ott and it is too close to call.

I don't disagree at all, when it's clean. To my ears (live at Allentown and in the theater last night) Crown's feature wasn't clean, at least not until the unison impact. I could be wrong, of course. It seemed cleaner at other shows (all Fan Network) earlier in the year.

As a matter of curiosity . . . how can the judges tell who is clean and who isn't in that echo chamber?

The Brass judge is on the field. It is quite easy to tell where the sound originates when you're standing in front of the line making it.

You really heard it during Bluecoats show as they played too loud and it reverberated a few times during their show and not a single reverb like you would get outdoors. Was very evident on the Cinecast.

I don't disagree at all, when it's clean. To my ears (live at Allentown and in the theater last night) Crown's feature wasn't clean, at least not until the unison impact. I could be wrong, of course. It seemed cleaner at other shows (all Fan Network) earlier in the year.

Well, can't really see how anyone can get down and dirty and judge the cleanliness of a show on the cinecast. The volume and sound was quite different depending which camera and mike they switched off to. On that portion, I remember being upset, because they went to the far right top camera, which really killed the effect of the shooting stars (frisbees). It seemed like at times when they had the mike up on a solo, they would forget to switch off that mike and the rest of the hornline was much weaker in volume than the soloist was. That happened all throughout the cinecast last night.

• Like 1

The Brass judge is on the field. It is quite easy to tell where the sound originates when you're standing in front of the line making it.

Just to add...The field brass judge does not really need to move all that much. I have problems with some judges running all over. I value hearing the hornline as a whole. If this was the tic system, those those judges running around would be on the hunt for tic's.

I played trumpet and when I am on the sideline taking pics, I can hear easily all the discrepancies if they present themselves, no matter if that player is well on the other side of the 50. A trained ear can easily detect that. Either that or my hearing is really good. Things I hear all the time are intonation issues as well as hearing their feet through the air they are blowing through the horn.

Curious as to what part of that wasn't clean. Was it not together or was it the actual playing of the notes or were there sloppy attacks ? Just curious.

Just to add...The field brass judge does not really need to move all that much. I have problems with some judges running all over. I value hearing the hornline as a whole. If this was the tic system, those those judges running around would be on the hunt for tic's.

I played trumpet and when I am on the sideline taking pics, I can hear easily all the discrepancies if they present themselves, no matter if that player is well on the other side of the 50. A trained ear can easily detect that. Either that or my hearing is really good. Things I hear all the time are intonation issues as well as hearing their feet through the air they are blowing through the horn.

The brass judge on the field can only judge what is in front of him, in small sample sizes. He does not...ever...judge or comment on something that might have happened "over yonder". It's one of the important foundations field music judging is built on.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 2

"DCI Needs to fix the scoring system" = "MY favorite corps didnt win so I am going b*tch and moan like a petulant child and arrogantly state that the system is broken because the end result was at odds with my personal taste".

• Like 6

Curious as to what part of that wasn't clean. Was it not together or was it the actual playing of the notes or were there sloppy attacks ? Just curious.

The various runs seemed muddled and they kind of bled over to the next group. I watched their rehearsal (in Allentown) and it was far more defined. You make an excellent point about the sound at the Cinecast, so I am fully willing to give the benefit of the doubt there. The sound and camera work was, to be nice, sub-par.

(Just to be clear, I LOVE Crown's show this year, I just don't feel that they have had that one run yet, where everything clicks.)