Im sorry DCI, you need to fix the scoring again

How was it a performance order problem?

With an intermission between scvc and OC, b&b had a great run. I think OC going on after int, was not fortunate. I simply do not see scvc better then OC.

• Like 1

Yeah. Can't say I love the show, but the performance level is pretty high across the board, no weakness in any caption. Put 'em all together and before you know it they're on top, and by a wide margin. I am likewise not particularly a BD honk, but I have to admit: once again, they are doing what they are best at, which is being better than everyone else.

I don't think anyone denies the performance level--it's insane. But when I see the show, I see a lot of visual sleight of hand that makes the show look more difficult than it really is. Bottom line--BD works the scoring sheet better than anyone.

Edited by jthomas666

I'm totally fine with BD winning and fine with the spread but I don't see the scores. I agree something is off with the sheets if that's considered a nearly-perfect show design with the highest ever difficulty and execution. I see BD in the 97s with a spread on everyone else that respects the difference. I don't think this show is the best drum corps that has ever existed. If they were that good noone would doubt their drill complexity or why they are winning brass instead of Crown.

TL:DR - Placements are right, spreads are right, scores are wrong.

• Like 1

If they were that good noone would doubt their drill complexity or why they are winning brass instead of Crown.

TL:DR - Placements are right, spreads are right, scores are wrong.

Don't kid yourself...there will always be people taking the contrary view. It's the nature of a subjective activity.

As for the numbers, it really makes no sense to equate the idea that "highest score ever" means "best corps ever". It does not. It really makes no sense to compare scores from year to year either, because those corps never went head to head. Numbers *only* hold meaning within the same show. It's a partner concept with the fact that a score of 20 doesn't mean "perfect", it only means the cops maxed out the sheet relative to the corps in that competition.

Even of the Blue Devils score a 99.5 tonight, it doesn't mean they are better or worse than 2002 Cavaliers or 2005 Cadets. "Best drum corps ever" is whatever you want it to be, score be ######. My "best corps ever" isn't any of those three, and I'm sure we could fill a 100-page thread arguing about it.

• Like 1

Don't kid yourself...there will always be people taking the contrary view. It's the nature of a subjective activity.

As for the numbers, it really makes no sense to equate the idea that "highest score ever" means "best corps ever". It does not. It really makes no sense to compare scores from year to year either, because those corps never went head to head. Numbers *only* hold meaning within the same show. It's a partner concept with the fact that a score of 20 doesn't mean "perfect", it only means the cops maxed out the sheet relative to the corps in that competition.

Even of the Blue Devils score a 99.5 tonight, it doesn't mean they are better or worse than 2002 Cavaliers or 2005 Cadets. "Best drum corps ever" is whatever you want it to be, score be ######. My "best corps ever" isn't any of those three, and I'm sure we could fill a 100-page thread arguing about it.

You make good points. Perhaps it isn't "the best ever", even though it will be referred to forever due to the score. I think what I'm saying is the sheets are wrong if that is now what is judged as "maxing" out. However subjectively it's determined that it's that show getting 20's something isn't right with the structure.

Edited by caliswift
  • Like 1

You make good points. Perhaps it isn't "the best ever", even though it will be referred to forever due to the score. I think what I'm saying is the sheets are wrong if that is now what is judged as "maxing" out. However subjectively it's determined that it's that show getting 20's something isn't right with the structure.

You're still making the mistake that a 20 somehow means "perfect". It doesn't. It just means the corps that received the 20 was .2 (or more) better than the corps receiving a 19.8.

• Like 1

You're still making the mistake that a 20 somehow means "perfect". It doesn't. It just means the corps that received the 20 was .2 (or more) better than the corps receiving a 19.8.

no many how many times, how many years,people just don't get this for some reason. YA run out of #s...lol

• Like 2

Good lord the arrogance on DCP with everyone's self proclaimed expertise is so #### frustrating.

Look, when people that have been teaching and judging for years tell you something, it's probably true. In this case, it's not even opinion, it's solid gold fact. Don't get frustrated, just try and figure it out.

Let's turn this around some. Instead of us telling you why there's no such thing as a perfect score, why don't you tell us why you think there is, and why you think it's valid to compare numbers between years?

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1