2014 World Championships Semi Finals

Sure, except for all of the many times they are hauling ### while playing.

All 60 seconds?

• Like 2

Devils' color guard is displaying a level of excellence and variety that no other guard is matching (Crown is closest in variety, IMO if not achievement). Devils don't demonstrate two or three skills and beat you over the head with them...they display a skill, move on to another skill, over and over and over. Every one of these many skills is incredibly effective and achieved at a very high level. That's why they score where they do.

You can honestly apply that to the entire corps, not just the guard.

Also, they aren't even in the Top Ten of "most risque color guards".

This is what I've suspected they've been doing for a pretty long time and winning with ( BD organization), and yet other corps can't figure it out that this is what it takes to consistently contend for a title or win DCI today.

• Like 1

There's a significant amount of struggle at the Blue Devils, you just never see it because they work *very* hard to get it all out before they ever put the uniform on. The amount of work they put in at winter camps and spring training is simply mind-boggling. In all honesty, if you see any top corps struggling at any point in the season, they've done something very wrong.

If it's already difficult, raise the bar 2x or 3x for next year. Difficulty is relative to your own designers comprehension, not necessarily to other drum corps. If they achieve that, make it more difficult. Make it seem that the corps are aiming to clean and execute a show beyond what the staff thinks is possible. It's like, I get it... perfect captions year after year.

If you create a show that is that seriously difficult to pull off, you might get 4-6. So what? They've given thousands of members rings already. What's another perfect caption mean anymore. It's starting to look like Constantly Risking Absurdity Part 7.

Given that the Prelims thread has been closed, for reasons I have yet to read about, I'll post a few quick thoughts here:

--Sound quality was terrible for all corps whose speakers were planted in front of the broadcast team's microphones, which was nearly half of them. In such cases, I wish the sound team would turn down the feed from those microphones. In particular, Blue Knights' narrator had a bad night, which is not easy to do when you're prerecorded.

I've noticed the sound guys putting mics in front of the pit speakers for prelims and semis. I don't recall seeing this in previous years at Indy.

I was trying to count how long they went without actually picking up a flag tonight.....but hey.... I don't think it was quite as long as 2009. They do smack that tambourine nice though

This is what I've suspected they've been doing for a pretty long time and winning with ( BD organization), and yet other corps can't figure it out that this is what it takes to consistently contend for a title or win DCI today.

I don't think the other corps' caption heads particularly care that BD wins guard. I don't believe they are even attempting to emulate or figure it out.

I don't think the other corps' caption heads particularly care that BD wins guard. I don't believe they are even attempting to emulate or figure it out.

No, the whole show design, not just guard, which is what Kamarag added in his post.

I've been alluding to this the whole season through several posts. Blue Devils is basically going to keep winning until someone steps up.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

If it's already difficult, raise the bar 2x or 3x for next year. Difficulty is relative to your own designers comprehension, not necessarily to other drum corps. If they achieve that, make it more difficult. Make it seem that the corps are aiming to clean and execute a show beyond what the staff thinks is possible. It's like, I get it... perfect captions year after year.

If you create a show that is that seriously difficult to pull off, you might get 4-6. So what? They've given thousands of members rings already. What's another perfect caption mean anymore. It's starting to look like Constantly Risking Absurdity Part 7.

Because the organizational goal is one of performance excellence. The idea is to put out a program that challenges the members to the extent that they can make it as near perfect as humanly possible on August 9th, 2014. It's about squeezing out every bit of achievement you can, not "almost nailing it".

There are a large host of "almost" corps, but very few that push the balance of content and achievement like Devils do (and Crown last year, and Cadets most years).

It's not up to the Blue Devils to rewrite the rulebook. You wouldn't see that in any other sport or competitive event. The corps plays the game by the rules and adjudication process that is in place. Change that, Devils will change with it, and most likely excel in whatever venue you turn it into.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 5