2014 World Championships Semi Finals

They do that. You know how much work they put in in the offseason? Many of the members take ballet classes or lessons before even auditioning. This year's show looks easy because they have prepared so much but it is not easy whatsoever. Just picking a corps at random, if the same corps had Bluecoats drill it would have been pretty much perfect a month ago.

Not totally true - Only if they trained for that type of show. I agree but different training would be needed. BD was great last night

If it's already difficult, raise the bar 2x or 3x for next year. Difficulty is relative to your own designers comprehension, not necessarily to other drum corps. If they achieve that, make it more difficult. Make it seem that the corps are aiming to clean and execute a show beyond what the staff thinks is possible. It's like, I get it... perfect captions year after year.

If you create a show that is that seriously difficult to pull off, you might get 4-6. So what? They've given thousands of members rings already. What's another perfect caption mean anymore. It's starting to look like Constantly Risking Absurdity Part 7.

What you are not paying attention to is the manner in which they construct their shows. They block out major effect moments early in the season, and have a lot of easier "filler" in between. Then they are constantly adding more content and difficulty into the gaps each week, as soon as the new, more detailed parts are ready to go. This is one of the reasons it appears they are never struggling. When a new section is ready, they add it. It is better from an audience perspective, because you don't see kids failing to noticeably achieve the program (such as with Boston), and always look to be getting a polished production. When you see it again a few weeks later, you realize it has MORE stuff than the last time, but is still polished. Very, very smart approach, which is good for fans, performers, and obviously scores.

• Like 1

Just reviewed the recaps. Wow. M. Anderson scored Blue Devils B 8.7 & Madison 8.6 in GE Rep. He should be fired for this.

On another note, there has been lots of talk here about BD's drill being easy & how little the horn line moves fast while playing. I had this in mind while watching BD tonight & it was like clockwork. When the horn line plays they are marching slowly. Nearly all of the fast drill took place during a drum break or pit break...then when the horns began playing again, the drill & movement was slowed way down. BD's visual demand is nowhere near as difficult as Garfield, or SCV or Coats either.

I was hoping for a more climactic end to this drum corp season, but most spots are pretty much locked in at this point.

Even though BD's show is my favorite this year, I completely agree. I re-watched with the same thing in mind after reading a lot of the comments on how hard their drill is, and it's really not. Almost always slow or stopped when playing hard stuff. Regardless, its the only show I'm left humming and wanting to watch again!

• Like 1

BD show marching wise is not close to difficult and I laugh when people say they do everything so well it looks easy. They stand and play or move slowly more than any of the top corps. Just watch the webcast. They have the best designers in the world who write effectlively to the sheets and have arguably the best talent on the field or close to achieve. My favorite BD show since 2011 but lets not call it difficult. Crown's show is difficult. Cadets constant movement and uber exposed drill is difficult but BD's drill is not. THIS is the reason you don't see Cadets doing whiplash drills anymore or may see Crown come out next year with slightly less ambitious brass/marching responsibilities. It really is not rewarded as much as in the past. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the change but the change is here.

Edited by theCHEZman
  • Like 3

BD show marching wise is not close to difficult and I laugh when people say they do everything so well it looks easy. They stand and play or move slowly more than any of the top corps. Just watch the webcast. They have the best designers in the world who write effectlively to the sheets and have arguably the best talent on the field or close to achieve. My favorite BD show since 2011 but lets not call it difficult. Crown's show is difficult. Cadets constant movement and uber exposed drill is difficult but BD's drill is not.

I'd imagine that the judges sheets would reflect that if what you said is true (read: they'd be outperforming their content). That's clearly not the case.

• Like 1

I'm watching the shows with my two eyes. The marching program is effective, not difficult. There is enough demand to satisfy the sheets but im not seeing where it is difficult. Now MY DIFFICULT may be different than yours, but when brass are playing their runs as they are backing into blind forms etc, that is where I find a show difficult.

BD show marching wise is not close to difficult and I laugh when people say they do everything so well it looks easy. They stand and play or move slowly more than any of the top corps. Just watch the webcast. They have the best designers in the world who write effectlively to the sheets and have arguably the best talent on the field or close to achieve. My favorite BD show since 2011 but lets not call it difficult. Crown's show is difficult. Cadets constant movement and uber exposed drill is difficult but BD's drill is not. THIS is the reason you don't see Cadets doing whiplash drills anymore or may see Crown come out next year with slightly less ambitious brass/marching responsibilities. It really is not rewarded as much as in the past. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the change but the change is here.

or maybe some of these corps are just tired to the fast, whiplash drills and figure there may be other ways to explore staging. Not to say it wont ever come back or be a part of but not consistentaly fast fast fast

Sorry - I posted this before looking at the recaps and realizing Kemp judged. The gap will sort itself out tomorrow night between the top 3

Again - all the corps were great. Carry on!

I seriously doubt it, and if you think Kemp's measly 0.2 between Cadets and Bluecoats made a difference, then you'll be even more shocked when 3 of the 4 GE judges tonight will be VERY Bluecoats friendly. That won't help widen the gap you'd like to see.

If anything, that 0.15 gap will disappear tonight, not widen. Bluecoats could feasibly win 7 of the 11 judges this evening. Likely at least 6. Visual will be the only thing left holding the Cadets up.

Synopsis for tonight as I posted in the Panels thread two days ago...

GE

Kennedy: had Bluecoats over Cadets 3 of the last 4 shows...

Kelly: had Bluecoats up most recently in Allentown...

Stone: had Bluecoats up BY A MILE in Allentown...

Dr. Nola: 0 for 6 (or 7?) for Bluecoats head to head with Cadets. Oh well. You win some, you lose some.

Verdict: 3 of 4 favor Bluecoats

Visual

Chumley: 0'fer

Oliviero: Bluecoats up by A LOT in Massilon

Solomon: 0'fer

Verdict: 1 of 3... maybe

Music

Harper: Never judged head to head, and very few shows this year -- tossup

Markham: Twice had Cadets up by .1 -- tossup? Might favor the Cadets

Kristensen: Had Bluecoats up on Cadets in ATL (tied BD overall)

Rothe: Had Bluecoats up on Cadets in ATL (tied BD overall)

Verdict: 2 of 4 likely... could be 3.

Overall

Likely 6 judges will have Bluecoats up. Could be 7. I believe it will be an absolute dogfight, and GE especially will hurt the Cadets shot of holding any formidable gap.

Edited by IMcomguy

So surprised you feel this way coming from THE guy who started the Cadets 2014 thread. You keep posting the same thing over and over again.

I'm watching the shows with my two eyes. The marching program is effective, not difficult. There is enough demand to satisfy the sheets but im not seeing where it is difficult. Now MY DIFFICULT may be different than yours, but when brass are playing their runs as they are backing into blind forms etc, that is where I find a show difficult.

Who do you think I trust? The judges eyes or yours? Enough said.