2014 World Championships Semi Finals

If it's already difficult, raise the bar 2x or 3x for next year. Difficulty is relative to your own designers comprehension, not necessarily to other drum corps. If they achieve that, make it more difficult. Make it seem that the corps are aiming to clean and execute a show beyond what the staff thinks is possible. It's like, I get it... perfect captions year after year.

If you create a show that is that seriously difficult to pull off, you might get 4-6. So what? They've given thousands of members rings already. What's another perfect caption mean anymore. It's starting to look like Constantly Risking Absurdity Part 7.

I'd rather watch a show that can be perfected by the end of the season than one that a corps has to struggle to only kind of get clean. Your criticism makes no sense to me at all.
  • Like 2

My argument is that the magnitude of pushing the kids can be amped up more. I'm not saying they're not pushing their kids. They should experiment with going much further. Further than the comfort zone of what you think is possible.

You don't have to make it insane. If you run a 5k, run a 7k or a 10k. You don't have to go up to the 20k right away, work up to it in LARGE chunks. The increment has to be uncomfortable.

You're missing the point. Perfecting the details that often go unnoticed is extremely difficult. More difficult than getting the big, obvious moments right, in my opinion. I also believe there is a lot of value that can be gained in fighting for personal perfection that may not be noticed by the general viewer. The idea that the Blue Devils are not challenging themselves is ... frankly ... absurd. Very few corps get to the point where they have the big moments down pat and can spend the amount of grueling time it takes to get BD clean.
  • Like 1

Agreed. The crazy fast drills I think peaked in 2009 when every other night, we would get a report on DCP that a brass player or two fell during the Cadets or Crown show. Also agree there are other very effective ways of presenting a visual show without marching 220 BPM.

There is something to be said about avoiding injuries. Most years, going back who knows how long, injuries were constant complications with The Cadets.

Agreed. The crazy fast drills I think peaked in 2009 when every other night, we would get a report on DCP that a brass player or two fell during the Cadets or Crown show. Also agree there are other very effective ways of presenting a visual show without marching 220 BPM.

I dont think it was just about injuries so much ( although,it was out of control ) BUT designers need to evolve sometimes and look for other ways to do what we do, It very natural and thank goodness it's like that. Imagine, the same ole same ole year after year. We may not all like the creative process or where it leads sometimes BUT without it , it would be a very boring activity and I dont think would attract very many people.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

Well, I for one would throw babies every year for Cadets 93 or 97-type shows :)

There is something to be said about avoiding injuries. Most years, going back who knows how long, injuries were constant complications with The Cadets.

A lot of that wasn't necessarily the drill itself, or the tempos...but rather the super-straight leg marching style (which they have since relaxed quite a bit). Also, standing with closed toes is one of the worst things you can do to your body, particularly your knees and ankles. While they haven't changed the stance, moving to a much more relaxed straight-leg style appears to have reduced member injuries considerably.

What you are not paying attention to is the manner in which they construct their shows. They block out major effect moments early in the season, and have a lot of easier "filler" in between. Then they are constantly adding more content and difficulty into the gaps each week, as soon as the new, more detailed parts are ready to go. This is one of the reasons it appears they are never struggling. When a new section is ready, they add it. It is better from an audience perspective, because you don't see kids failing to noticeably achieve the program (such as with Boston), and always look to be getting a polished production. When you see it again a few weeks later, you realize it has MORE stuff than the last time, but is still polished. Very, very smart approach, which is good for fans, performers, and obviously scores.

Agile show design... lol.

Programmers and project managers will get this one.

• Like 1

BAC tuba down.

Zero concern by the BAC staff in the stands.

When you don't know what you are talking about you should remain silent IMO.

According to staff/board in the know:

"The Tuba player Nik tore his ACL in his knee last night during the show. He has a big heart and incredible intestinal fortitude. He got himself off the field ultimately with the help of a field judge. I was standing next to our corps doctor (she is also a Board member) when it happened and she immediately went down to the field. It is upsetting to read post on DCP about a perceived lack of care by the corps or the staff. This is so far from the truth and obviously from people who are completely uniformed about the BAC family. Godspeed Nik and I know it breaks your heart not to be able to perform your age out night."

I gotcha. So you think the gap between Blue Devils and Cadets should be smaller?

The way I see the top three is BD 1.2-1.5 ahead of cadets and Cadets about a point ahead of Coats. But obviously any given night the performances and panel composition can shift those.