2014 World Championships Semi Finals

Looking over the captions, to me it seems that SCV's key to medal is GE and getting the drum title. Their strengths being GE and percussion, they can pull SCV ahead.

Just reviewed the recaps. Wow. M. Anderson scored Blue Devils B 8.7 & Madison 8.6 in GE Rep. He should be fired for this.

On another note, there has been lots of talk here about BD's drill being easy & how little the horn line moves fast while playing. I had this in mind while watching BD tonight & it was like clockwork. When the horn line plays they are marching slowly. Nearly all of the fast drill took place during a drum break or pit break...then when the horns began playing again, the drill & movement was slowed way down. BD's visual demand is nowhere near as difficult as Garfield, or SCV or Coats either.

I was hoping for a more climactic end to this drum corp season, but most spots are pretty much locked in at this point.

• Like 1

The thing that irks me is that Blue Devils seamless perform their program with ease from the get go in the early shows. I think that's an indication that they're really not challenging their kids. Yes they perform well, yes they are amazing, but if the kids are so good I think you should challenge them with consecutive years where the show is hard enough that the beginning of the season is very rough and the end of the season is very refined.

There's a sense of reward watching a corps literally struggle through a run through in the beginning of the season and see them conquer a show by finals week.

I never get that sense of reward from BD. These 20s comes too easy for them, so my applause seems to be more directed at the designers more than the corps. It's fine, but it has been kind of boring to see a corps that consistently gets 20s. For a niche activity that is dwindling away, this sort of emphasis on what is considered a perfect caption makes it more niche I guess. It almost feels like BD shouldn't compete because the consistency of giving them the best score is so absolute that it is becoming more and more tolerable. Sugar doesn't taste so sweet when you have it everyday.

The Cadets need to figure it out. 2007-2009 was some of the most beautiful drill in terms of demand, design, and execution. I didn't think they really cared about whatever was happening with the scores, the audience reaction, or the general perception. 2008's closer just made me chuckle at the fact that whatever watching before me was actually happening. That aura of brashness was a breath of fresh air. They might not have won but the entire DCI community probably acknowledged the kids as being serious Olympians.

Cadets please go back to not caring so much. The members are not that weak but I get the feeling that you're starting to shelter them from the judging sheets. Bring back that whiplash drill and crazy hornbook. You guys have been playing it too safe and too cautious and you are dangerously losing your roots of being DCIs biggest risk taker. When you're consistently a high risk taker in terms of excellence, you falter often and succeed less. But that one or two times you get it right, the pay off is totally worth it. The shows have been lifeless and I feel like you're resorting to shoddy methods to just get points rather than truly generating effect. I feel as though Carolina Crown has inherited the Cadets' willingness to take risks with difficulty and not care if you stumble and have a rough year. DCI probably won't last for much longer (I hope I'm wrong) so why not go for the jugular.

Shocked that nobody caught the new voiceover in Boston's show....... CLEAR AS DAY!

"All drum corps are created equal..."

"but some are more equal than others."

Brilliant! Heck with the G7! Now they're definitely getting 10th or lower... but oh well. I love this show!

It was added for Prelims on Thursday night, but very hard to hear in the cinema (all I could make out was "more equal than others").

I missed a lot, seemingly, while traveling yesterday afternoon for a conference near Boston today. Managed to catch most of the cinema show (starting with Troopers) in Syracuse, but haven't been online until the past half hour. Haven't watched Semis and probably won't get the chance. Planning to watch Finals. A woman here gave a paper on vampires today; I'm going to make sure she sees Cavs.

Given that the Prelims thread has been closed, for reasons I have yet to read about, I'll post a few quick thoughts here:

--Sound quality was terrible for all corps whose speakers were planted in front of the broadcast team's microphones, which was nearly half of them. In such cases, I wish the sound team would turn down the feed from those microphones. In particular, Blue Knights' narrator had a bad night, which is not easy to do when you're prerecorded.

--Silliest moment in Cadets' generally fine show (which I only saw live in Massillon, where it was very impressive: all the stuff that was added at the end actually works, albeit in the manner of the Stephen Colbert pistachio commercials) is the delivery of an FDR quote, as follows: "a day which will live" ... pause while narrator apparently searches his book for the rest of the quote ... "in infamy". Everybody knows he's been narrating the show all summer; even if they didn't, this is one of the most famous lines ever. Please give him something else to do in those ten seconds.

--I was floored when the camera team managed to not show the Bluecoats' final jump--I see that in the Prelims thread, Pizazzman wrote, "Tom Blair just swore at someone, I'm sure of it." But at least they made up for it by showing it among the clips at the end.

--It would have been helpful of the announcing team, after explaining how wonderful Crown's brass was during that selection of their favorite moments from the evening, was prepared to explain, when the scores were announced, why BD beat Crown in brass.

• Like 2

The thing that irks me is that Blue Devils seamless perform their program with ease from the get go in the early shows. I think that's an indication that they're really not challenging their kids. Yes they perform well, yes they are amazing, but if the kids are so good I think you should challenge them with consecutive years where the show is hard enough that the beginning of the season is very rough and the end of the season is very refined.

There's a significant amount of struggle at the Blue Devils, you just never see it because they work *very* hard to get it all out before they ever put the uniform on. The amount of work they put in at winter camps and spring training is simply mind-boggling. In all honesty, if you see any top corps struggling at any point in the season, they've done something very wrong.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 3

There's a significant amount of struggle at the Blue Devils, you just never see it because they work *very* hard to get it all out before they ever put the uniform on. The amount of work they put in at winter camps and spring training is simply mind-boggling. In all honesty, if you see any top corps struggling at any point in the season, they've done something very wrong.

Now now, John...you know how well the truth goes down around here....

On another note, there has been lots of talk here about BD's drill being easy & how little the horn line moves fast while playing. I had this in mind while watching BD tonight & it was like clockwork. When the horn line plays they are marching slowly. Nearly all of the fast drill took place during a drum break or pit break...then when the horns began playing again, the drill & movement was slowed way down.

Sure, except for all of the many times they are hauling ### while playing.

• Like 4

Just reviewed the recaps. Wow. M. Anderson scored Blue Devils B 8.7 & Madison 8.6 in GE Rep. He should be fired for this.

No, because you're not telling the whole story. Yes, he had BDB over Madison in GE repertoire by .2, but he also had Madison performer over book by .2 (86/88), while BDB was 87/84. That's not a fireable offense, that's doing your job and calling it like you see it. I can absolutely see where BDB has more effective moments in their program, but Madison is absolutely performing the ever living crap out of their moments. Scouts have been getting beat up in GE all year, did you suddenly think that would stop today?

Just back from semis. Great show today! I missed it somewhere/somehow…where was Colts Bass 3?

Mike