Would you still be interested in DCI if it wasn't competitive?

I was watching both nights of DCI East and spectators were leaving in a continuous line BEFORE scores were announced. So either:

1. Scores DON'T matter to spectators, or

2. Scores are too predictable and never change relative to each other, or

3. Scores don't count until August 9th

Personally, I would pay full admission price to watch Oregon, Spartans, The Academy, Phantom, SCV, and Blue Devils without judges.....

Joe Dz in NJ

Those aren't the only possibilities. People will also leave because...

• Scores (and recaps) will be easily available via internet in a short amount of time.
  • There will not be an encore performance.
  • There will not be full retreat.
  • Wanting to beat the crowds out of the stadium and parking lot.
  • Of personal reasons unrelated to the drum corps show (work, school, kids, etc.)

Those aren't the only possibilities. People will also leave because...

• Scores (and recaps) will be easily available via internet in a short amount of time.
  • There will not be an encore performance.
  • There will not be full retreat.
  • Wanting to beat the crowds out of the stadium and parking lot.
  • Of personal reasons unrelated to the drum corps show (work, school, kids, etc.)

these are the reasons, plus not like BITD when you had to sit waiting on scores now you get get them over your phone on the way home. One doesnt have to wait any longer.

I used to go to prelims only ,I was more interested in seeing every corps perform ,I could care less who won what .I'm also old enough to remember 3 days of prelims and never seeing the same corps twice ,My first DCI was White Water in 74 , Those's where the good old days .Going to prelims 3 days in a row seeing the same corps complete doesn't do for me SORRY

Edited by Florida Sun
  • Like 1

This year it's been about the shows for me.

Normally I'd say that without the scores things become less interesting, but there's little doubt that Blue Devils is going to win running away with the highest DCI score in history. Scores aren't really that important to me this year because of that and the great possibility that there's not going to be any big shakeups in placement down the line.

It wouldn't lessen my interest, it would just slightly sway my focus. DCI gives me music that I enjoy. Without the competitive aspect, I could simply just focus just on the wonderful music all the corps are making.

I wouldn't care one bit. When I photograph the shows, I have fun and enjoy every corps and enjoy the photos I get and enjoy seeing them from the POV I am privileged to enjoy. During Marching band season, I absolutely do not follow scores one bit. It's entertainment. Simple as that! Enjoy it and do not take it seriously. It's suppose to be fun.

I used to go to prelims only ,I was more interested in seeing every corps perform ,I could care less who won what .I'm also old enough to remember 3 days of prelims and never seeing the same corps twice ,My first DCI was White Water in 74 , Those's where the good old days .Going to prelims 3 days in a row seeing the same corps complete doesn't do for me SORRY

Remember the U.S. Open in Marion, Ohio? I could never even remotely try and remember who placed where and scored what. I just remember the special atmosphere that show was all about.

• Like 1

No. The overall product would suffer greatly.

My vacation in 1974 ,leave from Milford Ct. Friday night got to Marion Ohio early morning ,Got a room where the Bons Bons where staying ,wow what a baritone line .Headed over to the stadium prelims where running ,Bought tic's and headed in .After found a great steak house for dinner ,before heading back to finals ,Blue Rock came on the skys opened up ,the field looked like a lake ,Tons of thunder and lighting ,ended the show till the next day ,Stayed over the extra day Finals sunday afternoon .Then back in the car headed to Toleado ,for the Key To the Sea ,first year of that show two day there , And then out to White Water ,3 days of prelims .Great vacation even got to Madison and the Wi, Dells. Sunday drove straight through back to Ct, all motels where booked coming home ,was told would not find a room till Jersey ,So what the hell if i'm driving that far whats another 2 hours to Ct,

I would not be interested as the competitive aspect if a big part of the reason to improve each and every day. The products on the field would suffer if it was all exhibition.