Would you still be interested in DCI if it wasn't competitive?

It's competitive now? When there's a 95 percent chance the winner for the next decade will be Blue Devils or Cadets, that doesn't feel particularly competitive.

• Like 2

there;s 1 way to fix that

Drink your Ovaltine?

Edited by HockeyDad

But going one level down, I think the competition motivates the excellent performance we enjoy. The staff and members are always trying to outdo other groups and past years, because they don't want to fall down the rankings. Sometimes this can be bad - everyone seems to believe that the judges are rewarding prop use and thus everyone is competing to dump multiple trucks worth of crap on the field - but mostly it just pushes corps to create more engaging shows at a higher performance level.

Yes, I think it's moot because without the competitive element, you would lose the activity completely. It drives the will to improve and succeed, to stay together as a group from year to year, to travel and actually compete - nobody's going 100s or 1000s of miles to Masillon to give an exhibition. The tour itself probably makes the kids grow in a way that would otherwise never exist. I think even for a group like Pioneer, they look at the score at the start of the season and at the end, and I'm sure they really get something out of the tangible measure of improvement.

lol..i guess thats another way..lol

That was a loaded statement with all the "creative" people on here. :tounge2:

There are several ways to have different outcomes, like change what is being rewarded.

Who said I was all that interested "now" ? I'm here for the arguments ( not the abuse ) :shutup: