2014 Drum Corps International World Championships World Class Finals

The Murfreesboro show moved to Vanderbilt University this year, I had heard because of work being done on the MTSU stadium. But I would have to believe DCI would love to keep the event at Vandy. VU has a truly state-of-the-art artificial surface, and being in the heart of Nashville means Nashville (and SEC) media will cover it. I don't know what attendance was like at Vandy vs. Middle. Is there a strategic or political reason the tour would remain at Middle?

The Murfreesboro show moved to Vanderbilt University this year, I had heard because of work being done on the MTSU stadium. But I would have to believe DCI would love to keep the event at Vandy. VU has a truly state-of-the-art artificial surface, and being in the heart of Nashville means Nashville (and SEC) media will cover it. I don't know what attendance was like at Vandy vs. Middle. Is there a strategic or political reason the tour would remain at Middle?

Weirdly off topic, but...

I hope it does not move to Vandy. That stadium is atrocious for drum corps. It is very much a bowl type stadium. The seats at Murfreesboro are much closer to the field than those at Vandy. Also, Nashville traffic sucks.

Edited by DarkHorner

Cadets appeared to be sore losers. I later found out this is how Cadets do it when they do not get the Gold. I also think they as an organization should reconsider as IMAGE is important. Just because you have been doing something for a while does not make it right!

Edit for spelling

I really don't understand why everyone wants all the corps to be all happy happy hugging time. Most corps when at retreat will stand at attention, not moving around like fools, showing respect for the other corps. When they are dismissed, they leave quickly and quietly, symbolically giving the field to the champion corps. I actually prefer what Cadets do, it stems back to the military tradition of drum corps. Anyone who cannot get this needs to do some serious research on the history of this activity and its roots in the military.

I really don't understand why everyone wants all the corps to be all happy happy hugging time. Most corps when at retreat will stand at attention, not moving around like fools, showing respect for the other corps. When they are dismissed, they leave quickly and quietly, symbolically giving the field to the champion corps. I actually prefer what Cadets do, it stems back to the military tradition of drum corps. Anyone who cannot get this needs to do some serious research on the history of this activity and its roots in the military.

I don't think anyone is questioning Cadets or the other groups that played the rigid military game at retreat (I marched in one for several years). The problem doesn't even lie in Cadets' intention to get out of the way as soon as possible. That's admirable. The problem lies with how they left, and the perception of it. And for folks that might not understand the intent, the perception is all that matters.

I'm sure they could find a happy medium between the two, don't you?

"Excuse me, son? I hate to interrupt your show, but you might need this..."

10610613_10202505433418544_4836281752125

There's YouTube vid of this.

More impressive than the judge returning the drum (man...having to air drum at finals....MAJOR suckage, especially if he'd been an age out), was the fact that he got it back on the harness on the move....with some petty fast and big crabbing going on. Barely lost the interval...excellent marching.

Probably one of the best recoveries ever.

• Like 4

The most moving moment of the night was when the Blue Devils went over to congratulate the Bluecoats on their season. They could have just stood there, soaking up the victory, waiting for another corps to come up to congratulate them on winning it all. The Blue Devils scored a lot of classy points last night by that gesture.

• Like 5