Blue Devils B Placement Friday Night?

One thing to consider is how long a streak BDB drumline has had. They have not lost a show since 2012 and that was one show by Oregon then they came back and whooped em to win the open drum title. (6 years straight)

This year they finally had the hornline that was on par with their incredible drumline. The guard is getting better and I think if they had a guard as good as Spartans then they very well could have been in finals. Look at the drum scores all season. Mandarins have never beat them all year in percussion. (and quite a few others too)

The thing that did it for them this year and not last is the show was a real winner and they worked it.

everybody is just Drum Corps - big or small. Everybody goes up against everybody every night. You don't like it? Then start your own league and have your own finals - but you aren't part of DCI.

As I said above, I agree with doing away with the distinction between classes.

But when you say "every night", are you going to require the smaller corps to expend the same money as the bigger corps and actually give a comparable number of shows? If so, you'll just kill off all the smaller corps.

I believe there should be a minimum number of shows to qualify for Championship week (say maybe 10), but I don't think you can expect the current Open corps to approach the number of shows the current World corps do, regardless of which corps they happen to be competing against. For that matter, not all the World corps are currently are currently on an even level - Cadets and Cavaliers each did 31 shows before Finals, while Oregon only had 20 shows. I don't hear anyone complaining about Oregon.

I happen to be an old grump that believes NO open class / div.2-3 corps should be competing during WC Finals AT ALL!

You had your Finals. Congratulations. That's it. If you want to be World Class, then get your butt on a WC tour and compete against WC corps night after night where the WC judges can get multiple looks against you and your peer competition.

This "feel-good," "let our little brothers and sisters play with us too," stuff is baloney. Open Class competing at prelims has NOTHING to do with enrichment or education or any of the other reasons you hear... it has EVERYTHING to do with the fact that DCI does NOT have enough World Class corps anymore to justify holding a Thursday show - so they have to manufacture a way to make Thursday look important enough for people to still show up and buy tickets. Open Class to the rescue! $$$$

The result is this bastardization whereby everybody has been separate all season, but now we are all equal? Thank you Boston, we are the Animal Farm.

I just think it is a slap in the face to Academy, Spirit and Oregon Crusaders for BDB to pop in 15th without the same amount of looks and comparisons within the World Class competitive framework.

My solution? Take away all of the divisions... everybody is just Drum Corps - big or small. Everybody goes up against everybody every night. You don't like it? Then start your own league and have your own finals - but you aren't part of DCI.

That's my rant - what's yours?

Wow old grump I pretty much agree with you. Some very good points here. You said:

I just think it is a slap in the face to Academy, Spirit and Oregon Crusaders for BDB to pop in 15th without the same amount of looks and comparisons within the World Class competitive framework.

I've been trying to make the above point in a gentler way. Nicely done. You also said:

You had your Finals. Congratulations. That's it. If you want to be World Class, then get your butt on a WC tour and compete against WC corps night after night where the WC judges can get multiple looks against you and your peer competition.

I've also been trying to make this second above point in a gentler way. Nicely done. Bolding is mine.

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 1

I told you guys it was gonna be a one two knock out punch by our wonderful open class corps. I'm looking forward to Genesis, Spartans, 7th and Music City to also do the same!

I agree that DCI should just do away with the classes. The way to decided who gets paid and who doesn't? (Currently Open Class gets little to no performance fees) Two factors:

1) Place in the top 25

2) Must attend, San Antonio, Atlanta and Allentown

• Like 2

Sorry you got beat by a better corps now stop crying.

Out of respect for drum corps, I just deleted what I first wrote here... and am going to tie up my hands.

Edited by luv4corps

I'll reiterate what I said about Oregon. Their color guard killed their score in semis. A stronger guard contribution = higher guard scores and = higher GE scores. They had a 1.05 spread over SCVC before the color guard score was factored in.

If Oregon's guard placed where they did in 19th, they would have scored an 80.65. Add in a few more tenths for the Visual emphasized GE judge, and that would probably be around an 80.85 - 81.0. Had their guard scored as high as Vanguard Cadets did, their score would have been a 81, add in a few tenths for the GE emphasized visual judge, and probably around an 81.25 - 81.5. Their GE scores are the only thing that's slightly confusing to me, particularly what I would assume the music emphasized one would be. But when you look at the consistency of their guard over the latter half of the season, the guard score isn't that surprising unfortunately. Their drumline was all the way up in 13th in prelims and 15th in semis, that's something to be proud of.

And nobody here's crying or whining, they're asking legitimate questions and trying to understand as to why the corps were scored as they were, answer the question or shut up. Nobody likes someone obnoxiously gloating.

Would love to hear other's opinions on this. I have my own, but it's probably obvious what it is.

Bottom line: BDB jumped five placements this year. In the past five years, no open class corps has placed anywhere near 15th. That is significant. Kudos to BDB for adjusting to the new sheets and maximizing. But shouldn't they be a world class corps then? How long till they make finals?

My real point is: is open class even necessary anymore?

scores don't dictate class. financials dictate class. if scores alone dictated class, pioneer would have been open Class several years ago

If BDB makes finals, and I'm sure that day is coming, they should be a world class corps and compete head to head with world class corps throughout the season.

The big lesson in all of this: teaching/execution trumps designing. I read in another thread something to the effect that Crown taught their way to the top, rather than designed their way to the top.

no they would still be an open class corps until DCI reviews them to be moved into World Class

no they would still be an open class corps until DCI reviews them to be moved into World Class

Yes, I did know that. My statement was more for the purpose of rhetoric. And along those lines, wouldn't they have to apply? No one is automatically moved to world class, or for that matter, open class (as in the case of Pio). But all these questions being raised and discussed are compelling.

Edited by luv4corps