Blue Devils B Placement Friday Night?

It's funny - Academy walked off the field after semis and thought they'd blown it and they cried. OC walked off the field and thought they nailed it. Members and staff were celebrating at a buffet dinner when they received the shock. No one, not staff, not member, not parent... would have imagined in their wildest dreams that things would end this way.

This hurt - bad.

I'm sure that it was painful for the kids in OC, and also really exciting for the kids in BDB who jumped up.

But if OC nailed their performance, and was celebrating their achievements, why let the opinions of 11 folks in green polo shirts detract from that? Only one team gets to win, but all the teams can entertain the audience, deliver an excellent performance of their show, take their corps to new levels of achievement. From my perspective, OC achieved all of those things this summer. Maybe a different panel would have called it different? Maybe OC had a great show, but the other teams had even better ones? Impossible to say.

It's easy to get too wrapped up in the competitive aspect IMO, especially for corps in OC's placement range.

• Like 4

But I will say when they'd finished on Friday that I thought their Thursday run was better...cleaner for sure. I can't wait to see what they have in store for 2015.

but I can't disagree with their placement.

Editing in Jeff Ream's comment quote here: "with Open class corps going on the same sheets as World Class this year, it shows BDB and SCVC planned for the new sheets, and to max them out as best they could."

Yeah I pretty much knew I'd get responses like this. And I respect the opinions and total objectivity of you all. It's a year to chalk up to experience I guess. Never underestimate BDB and VC! Obviously those organizations know exactly what they are doing.

Concord CA should be throwing a victory parade for all the Blue Devils this year.

Edited by luv4corps

Yeah I pretty much knew I'd get responses like this. And I respect the opinions and total objectivity of you all. It's a year to chalk up to experience I guess. Never underestimate BDB and VC! Obviously those organizations know exactly what they are doing.

Concord CA should be throwing a victory parade for all the Blue Devils this year.

look I get it.....I've been there. You lose to someone you don't see all year. it happens.

But...and I'm a big OC fan since their days in Open Class...they took HUGE steps forward this year. The problem is so did many others! 5 years ago this show is knocking on finals doorstep. The talent pool keeps getting better every year. In no way should OC sulk. In the last 10-15 years, the only other corps not named Troopers that got so much love yet wasn't a finalist was Jersey Surf in 2012. Think about that. people noticed OC. people who usually wait til after intermission to be seated. kids that don't shut up in the stands until big names come on. You know those I mean.

OC turned heads. When next season starts and BDAMinus goes back to Open Class, people will remember OC, and await what they have to offer in 2015.

• Like 2

look I get it.....I've been there. You lose to someone you don't see all year. it happens.

But...and I'm a big OC fan since their days in Open Class...they took HUGE steps forward this year. The problem is so did many others! 5 years ago this show is knocking on finals doorstep. The talent pool keeps getting better every year. In no way should OC sulk. In the last 10-15 years, the only other corps not named Troopers that got so much love yet wasn't a finalist was Jersey Surf in 2012. Think about that. people noticed OC. people who usually wait til after intermission to be seated. kids that don't shut up in the stands until big names come on. You know those I mean.

OC turned heads. When next season starts and BDAMinus goes back to Open Class, people will remember OC, and await what they have to offer in 2015.

Yes, the moving forward of so many corps. Yes, I get that and it is very apparent. Open class especially. I am starting to agree with the folks who say DCI should eliminate open class.

Edited by luv4corps

I'm sure that it was painful for the kids in OC, and also really exciting for the kids in BDB who jumped up.

But if OC nailed their performance, and was celebrating their achievements, why let the opinions of 11 folks in green polo shirts detract from that? Only one team gets to win, but all the teams can entertain the audience, deliver an excellent performance of their show, take their corps to new levels of achievement. From my perspective, OC achieved all of those things this summer. Maybe a different panel would have called it different? Maybe OC had a great show, but the other teams had even better ones? Impossible to say.

It's easy to get too wrapped up in the competitive aspect IMO, especially for corps in OC's placement range.

So well said. Thank you. 11 guys in green polo shirts really sums it up. If they called it right, they called it right, and even if they didn't, it is what it is - subjective.

Judges are telling World Class corps in the 14th-18th range very directly (not just with their scores, but with their comments) to write less challenging shows. I don't think that's what we really want, but it's what we're going to get.

BDA- good one!

• Like 1

Hi All,

I am not in Indy for the shows this year and I did not watch the webcast Friday night.

Question out to those who saw Blue Devils B perform and others (Be it in person or webcast)

Was Blue Devils B so much better on Friday night compared to Thursday to have them go from 18 to 15th place and beat two corps (Spirit of Atlanta and The Academy) ?

In my opinion, they had no business beating Mandarins or Pacific Crest, much less OC or Academy. All four of those corps had entertaining, effective programs, an obviously higher level of performance in brass, and no deficits in other captions that could have accumulated to swing the verdict the other way.

• Like 7

In my opinion, they had no business beating Mandarins or Pacific Crest, much less OC or Academy. All four of those corps had entertaining, effective programs, an obviously higher level of performance in brass, and no deficits in other captions that could have accumulated to swing the verdict the other way.

Thank you SO much for this. I feel vindicated and validated. I thought the cut-off was about Mandarins too. So glad someone else agrees with me. Although methinks we are severely outnumbered in our opinion.

• Like 1

Judges are telling World Class corps in the 14th-18th range very directly (not just with their scores, but with their comments) to write less challenging shows. I don't think that's what we really want, but it's what we're going to get.

I think they are actually telling those corps not to over-write, and to make sure they can clean...to achieve...what they do attempt. And that's very valid advice.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 2