Blue Devils B Placement Friday Night?

The Concord organization gets determined to prove they are the top, not whine about others.

I'm not going to disagree with the first part of that. They are one of the best, if not the best in the activity when it comes to changing their game for maximum effect, but if you believe that Blue Devils don't whine about not winning, then I have some wonderful land to sell you...really pristine property that overlooks one of the greatest opportunities for environmental cleanup and rejuvination that you have ever seen!

(if you ask most long time BDs that I have ever known, they will tell you that they should have won every single year...)

Edited by NeoCervantes II
  • Like 3

I'm not going to disagree with the first part of that. They are one of the best, if not the best in the activity when it comes to changing their game for maximum effect, but if you believe that Blue Devils don't whine about not winning, then I have some wonderful land to sell you...really pristine property that overlooks one of the greatest opportunities for environmental cleanup and rejuvination that you have ever seen!

(if you ask most long time BDs that I have ever known, they will tell you that they should have won every single year...)

No, we won't. But if you ask is if we believe the corps can win every year, the answer will be a resounding yes. There's a big difference.

• Like 1

look I get it.....I've been there. You lose to someone you don't see all year. it happens.

OC turned heads. When next season starts and BDAMinus goes back to Open Class, people will remember OC, and await what they have to offer in 2015.

I'd like to add one more point to the discussion about open class not competing head to head against world class and then they come out and beat them. Since open class and world class are for all intents and purposes, separated, all year, is it really right that judges score them completely independant of one another all year until finals week?

To clarify: not only does a world class corps not compete head to head against an open class corps till the end, NO world class corps compete head to head against the likes of BDB and VC until the end. The judges don't ever get a same show comparison until prelims. Scores got pretty inflated in some of the open class only shows. Just one example: http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/stats-calendar-recaps/?selMonth=7&selYear=2014

I don't think this is a good development in the activity. If they get the same sheet and high scores there should be more shows between all corps from same panels.

If there is this much overlap, let's please make it fair.

• Like 1

AMEN DUDE! I basically sad that in another thread. +10

I've said this on here a zillion times

I'd like to add one more point to the discussion about open class not competing head to head against world class and then they come out and beat them. Since open class and world class are for all intents and purposes, separated, all year, is it really right that judges score them completely independant of one another all year until finals week?

To clarify: not only does a world class corps not compete head to head against an open class corps till the end, NO world class corps compete head to head against the likes of BDB and VC until the end. The judges don't ever get a same show comparison until prelims. Scores got pretty inflated in some of the open class only shows. Just one example: http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/stats-calendar-recaps/?selMonth=7&selYear=2014

I don't think this is a good development in the activity. If they get the same sheet and high scores there should be more shows between all corps from same panels.

If there is this much overlap, let's please make it fair.

well to answer your questions...that's for DCI and the corps to decide. I'm not privy as to why they went on the WC sheets, but they did. Personally, I think many things OC does is stupid in terms of how they market themselves etc, but they seem to like it.

But...i'll be honest....even if they had been on the old OC sheets all season, I'm not sure it would have changed the results

But...i'll be honest....even if they had been on the old OC sheets all season, I'm not sure it would have changed the results

Would love to hear other's opinions on this. I have my own, but it's probably obvious what it is.

Bottom line: BDB jumped five placements this year. In the past five years, no open class corps has placed anywhere near 15th. That is significant. Kudos to BDB for adjusting to the new sheets and maximizing. But shouldn't they be a world class corps then? How long till they make finals?

My real point is: is open class even necessary anymore?

• Like 1

Is there any chance Oregon's scores suffered slightly for having switched out their narratorial voice in the last week? While I don't think corps should ever used prerecorded voice (on the grounds that all performance should be done live by members of the corps), wouldn't any reasonable judge have to conclude that James Earl Jones's voice is a more effective than the one used during championships? In that regard, I think Raiders' 2013 use of John de Lancie's "Raven" recording was more impressive than where Oregon ended up. Also, since all of Oregon's timing for two months had been worked around Jones's voice, the late substitution also might have made their show a little less tight than it had been before.

I will weigh in here.

My first read on all of the above mentioned corps was at semis. While OC, Academy, Mandarins and PC were fine performances, I felt like BDB was placed correctly. and given what they have been achieving in recent years, this place may need to prepare for Concord to have two groups in the top 12. I also appreciated Vanguard Cadets. So cool to see "Feeder Corps" at this level!

MIke

Is there any chance Oregon's scores suffered slightly for having switched out their narratorial voice in the last week? While I don't think corps should ever used prerecorded voice (on the grounds that all performance should be done live by members of the corps), wouldn't any reasonable judge have to conclude that James Earl Jones's voice is a more effective than the one used during championships? In that regard, I think Raiders' 2013 use of John de Lancie's "Raven" recording was more impressive than where Oregon ended up. Also, since all of Oregon's timing for two months had been worked around Jones's voice, the late substitution also might have made their show a little less tight than it had been before.

I hate to blame their score on a recording. They had to change it of course because of copyright issues. I didn't see anything wrong with their timing but the possibility exists I guess. In semis they finally timed the door slam just right!

If BDB makes finals, and I'm sure that day is coming, they should be a world class corps and compete head to head with world class corps throughout the season.

The big lesson in all of this: teaching/execution trumps designing. I read in another thread something to the effect that Crown taught their way to the top, rather than designed their way to the top.

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 1