People say the score doesn't mean anything then other people HYPE a "perfect" score. Kinda contrary messages for me.

the score is relative so BD should be thanking the 4 previous corps for creating the opportunity for their high score :ninja:

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 2

the score is relative so BD should be thanking the 4 previous corps for creating the opportunity for their high score :ninja:

Let's not discredit BD here. They had to create a spread to get anywhere near the 99's. They could've easily won the championship with a 97.3.

• Like 2

I think cixelsyd's point is, if you get scatter drill a little bit wrong in the period between starting in form A and ending in form B, there's no way for the judges to tell it's wrong. Whereas if members move with drill from form A to form B, they have to maintain intervals the whole time. It's harder in the sense that it's riskier from a visual judging aspect.

Edit: I see corpsband made the same point.

that is so not true.sure you can see if someone is out of line BUT do one thing wrong in a scatter drill that wasnt there the time before and you have a traffic jam and faces of kids wondering why you are there this time. It's so easy to see when its not done well or not done the same way each and every time

Let's not discredit BD here. They had to create a spread to get anywhere near the 99's. They could've easily won the championship with a 97.3.

There's not any discredit invovled. They could have won with an 85.0 so long as the previous corps was at 2.475pts behind them. And it would mean pretty much the same thing. Build up scoring -- there is no perfect and there are no absolutes. There are only spreads.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

You lost me at "clean"... because if people are scattering, there is no form to clean, and no uniform intervals to maintain.

Next, how can you say they have nothing to guide off in choosing their paths? There are lines every five yards laterally, while front-to-back you have sidelines and hash marks.

its very clear you may have never marched or taught a good scatter drill.( I mean that with all due respect ) It is far more complicated than it looks and so easy to see when it doesnt work. I have done them all as well as judged them. Many bad ones and it's an art in itself to get that stuff right. Everytime a drill designer wanted one or a show called for it every tech in the world dies , knowing they will have to work way harder to get it right.

PS: being clean or effective, or right for the show doesn't always mean uniformity to each other. A scatter can look right or a hot mess and a filthy mess with many potential issues.

Edited by GUARDLING

A scatter can look right or a hot mess and a filthy mess with many potential issues.

Point to any scatter drill that you think is a hot mess and anyone can respond with, "It's supposed to look that way".

Point to any scatter drill that you think is a hot mess and anyone can respond with, "It's supposed to look that way".

Not at all. A trained eye or someone who has worked this sort of thing can easily see the difference. Its so easy to see a lost kid on the field or when things werent done the same way time after time. I have judged alot and have never headr that excuse. I dont think when it is obvious anyone would have the nerve to say it. I know I for one would take that excuse apart in a few seconds and so would DCI judges I know.

Edited by GUARDLING

Ok. So 2002 Cavaliers should be thanking 2002 BD and Cadets for their score. And 2005 Cadets should thank Cavies and PR.