2015 Predictions

Having spent time with the actual members of BAC (two weeks ago), I will tell you that they ARE highly motivated, and the 75th Anniversary IS in fact a big deal to them. With respect to last year, I don't think anyone can objectively watch that performance on video and not see how highly motivated those members were then as well.

As I have stated on here several times before, I have no problems with the numbers from last August. Boston put on a great show at finals, but context is everything, and the 2014 Championships also included three drum corps (BK, BS, Cavies) who also happened to have their best seasons in years. The fact that these three corps hit it out of the park does not for a second diminish BAC's product.

As for my own prediction...for the third year in a row, I'm going to predict 4th-9th.

• Like 2

cocklesofmyheart1.png

Haha so either my cockles will be warm or I'll be having a heart attack. Either way, hey, Scouts in 6th! A good day.

• Like 1

I'm interested to see where Jubal places, have loved their shows over the last few years, they're looking a lot stronger in recent years than when they came over in 2011. I could see them pushing top 25. Cool that they're doing a little tour starting in San Antonio!

Edited by DrumManTx

Haha so either my cockles will be warm or I'll be having a heart attack. Either way, hey, Scouts in 6th! A good day.

That's where my cockles are? I was way off!

A DCI Hall of Famer once told us that if you think an anniversary year or finals location at home gives you special motivation, you're probably an immature performer.

Madison Scouts in their 75th anniversary year in 2013 finished in exactly the same placement spot ( 9th ) as they did the season before. I don't think the judges care if its your anniversary year or not when it comes to their giving of scores. Boston failed to make Finals in Boston ( Foxboro ) in 1994 by a mere 4 tenths, finishing in 13th, and missing performing on Finals Night. Madison Scouts just missed out on Finals ( 14th ) in 2002 as when Finals was in Madison too. That said, most athletes, ( pro and college ) will tell you that they do feel a "special motivation" when playing at home. So this notion that those in Corps or are college or pro athletes that speak about a " special motivation " when playing at home are " immature " is silly nonsense, no matter if that remark came from a " DCI Hall of Famer " or not. Teams in sports play like heck to earn home field advantage in the playoffs, and all Corps and sport teams like and prefer to compete before home crowds. Thus, most of them do tell us that they have a natural , "special motivation" to see that it happens, and they are not " immature " for having said so. Whether it actually happens or not, is of course beside the point.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

A DCI Hall of Famer once told us that if you think an anniversary year or finals location at home gives you special motivation, you're probably an immature performer.

This is very true IMO. Most if not all anniversary shows usually just touch those involved or have been involved. Some older audiences may connect a bit just because it brings them back to their own time for a minute. I think most really dont care. Ive done a few shows where a corps went back in time and even with current members it was ok BUT hard to connect being they had no past experience to relate to, even if a huge history lesson was given.

For me it's nice sometimes to connect pieces from the past but it;'s because Ive been around since dirt but judging IMO will not be influenced by it.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

Those who try and tell you that athletes don't have a " special motivation " when playing at home ( as opposed to on the road ) more than likely never played a lick of scholastic sports in their lives.

And try telling anyone... right before on their anniversary... that they are" immature " for having a " special motivation " for their anniversary, and see the weird look you'll get. Whether the actual outcome becomes " special" is beside the point. Anyone that thinks a wedding anniversary is not " special " has either never been married, or they are probably divorced with such a blase attitude. All " anniversaries " in anything... anything at all, are considered " special ", and we find extra" special motivation" on the part of its participants. The fact that a couple of people on DCP need this explained to them, is sort of peculiar when you really get right down to it. ( haha! )

Of COURSE, Madison Scouts staffers and marchers prior to the 75th season of 2013 thought of that upcoming season as their anniversary as" special,"and as such were " specially motivated" to make it so, despite the fact that most of their marchers that year were not around for many of the prior years. Anybody that tells us that corps marchers are " immature " for considering anniversaries as " special motivators " , ( as poster Kamarag did here above ) or that most marchers in anniversary years for their Corps " don't care " about the fact that its their Corps Anniversary years ( as poster Guardling just said ) really, frankly, don't know what they're talking about on this. They are being just ridiculous and completely out of touch in such assessments, imo ( lol!)

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

All this talk of cockles makes me cackle.

There. Moving on...

Not to overlook the occasional chuckle.