2015 Predictions

What I do appreciate from a judging standpoint, is the variety of styles being rewarded. I lump BD, Crown and Bluecoats in the more modern style and Cadets and SCV in the more traditional style..

On the contrary, I find Crown to be one of the more traditional style shows this year and SCV more modern.

On the contrary, I find Crown to be one of the more traditional style shows this year and SCV more modern.

SCV is a bit more of a mix. They use electronics to quite the effect, but they still have traditional drill (although it is high velocity and tight intervals) and a more traditional approach to the music. Meanwhile, BD is nearly all staged drill, and Bluecoats are using a very different approach to the music. SCV is kinda sitting in the middle of modern and traditional.

The conclusion that I came to (my opinion of course) is that BD are always coming out with something new, every year they are fresh and push the activity a few more inches (or yards) forward.

How do you know they're pushing it forward rather than backward or sideways? That's not an attack on BD, just a reminder that we tend to be too quick to refer to any change as progress when it may not be. Some roads are dead ends.

• Like 1

I think SCV has more drill and Crown in the past two seasons has used more staging.
  • Like 1

innovation rankings: (current top 5 plus BK which has to be included in discussions of the past couple years)

this year -

Bluecoats - a new sound!

SCV/Cadets - lush, underlying electronic "soundtracks" run throughout. Cadets employ organic & theatrical blocking, SCV cutting edge guard design.

BD - taking indoor elements (hanging percussionist, ladder rifle work etc) to the field for the first time

Blueknights - very creative staging, arrangement & drill design. Modern balletic guard design

Crown - not too much "innovation" this year - a combination of 92/93 Star with 96 Regiment

last year -

Bluecoats

Blueknights

BD

Cadets

Crown

SCV

last ten years -

BD - blocking vs. drill

Cavaliers - visual driven design, modern symphonic literature & original compositions - guard integration, contemporary American music

Crown - the modern drum corps "mash up" - ballad and show design

Cadets - narration, electronics/amplification, front ensemble integration and arrangement

last thirty years -

Cadets - huge impact on visual design with organic/asymmetric drill, symphonic production writing, theatrical blocking/staging, Bb instrumention, electronics, voice & modern guard approach, modern rehearsal methodology

SCV - similar to Cadets - a massive impact on percussive writing, symphonic arrangement, modern drill design, theatrical presentations

BD - theatrical blocking/staging & modern guard design, very on trend with both the commercial arts world and the indoor guard/percussion design worlds

Star/Crown - movement, horn program basics program

A lot of folks seem to overlook the truly original for the flashy. Take the pit work during Cadets ballad - going from wood voices to metal voices as the pit members migrate down the line. Or their electronics program. Or the staging and tempo elements during Waltz. Sometimes a program which seems "traditional" on the service is actually quite a cutting edge design:

electronics:

behind the scenes - a modern drum corps electronics team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9ze_yeWeN8

ballad staging:

Cadets 2015

https://youtu.be/bXsvcFD8S6s

sound design:

Bluecoats 2014 closer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3ycWetRpy0

• Like 1

innovation rankings: (current top 5 plus BK which has to be included in discussions of the past couple years)

this year -

Bluecoats - a new sound!

SCV/Cadets - lush, underlying electronic "soundtracks" run throughout. Cadets employ organic & theatrical blocking, SCV cutting edge guard design.

BD - taking indoor elements (hanging percussionist, ladder rifle work etc) to the field for the first time

Blueknights - very creative staging, arrangement & drill design. Modern balletic guard design

Crown - not too much "innovation" this year - a combination of 92/93 Star with 96 Regiment

last year -

Bluecoats

Blueknights

BD

Cadets

Crown

SCV

last ten years -

BD - blocking vs. drill

Cavaliers - visual driven design, modern symphonic literature & original compositions - guard integration, contemporary American music

Crown - the modern drum corps "mash up" - ballad and show design

Cadets - narration, electronics/amplification, front ensemble integration and arrangement

last thirty years -

Cadets - huge impact on visual design with organic/asymmetric drill, symphonic production writing, theatrical blocking/staging, Bb instrumention, electronics, voice & modern guard approach, modern rehearsal methodology

SCV - similar to Cadets - a massive impact on percussive writing, symphonic arrangement, modern drill design, theatrical presentations

BD - theatrical blocking/staging & modern guard design, very on trend with both the commercial arts world and the indoor guard/percussion design worlds

Star/Crown - movement, horn program basics program

A lot of folks seem to overlook the truly original for the flashy. Take the pit work during Cadets ballad - going from wood voices to metal voices as the pit members migrate down the line. Or their electronics program. Or the staging and tempo elements during Waltz. Sometimes a program which seems "traditional" on the service is actually quite a cutting edge design:

electronics:

behind the scenes - a modern drum corps electronics team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9ze_yeWeN8

ballad staging:

Cadets 2015

https://youtu.be/bXsvcFD8S6s

sound design:

Bluecoats 2014 closer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3ycWetRpy0

lulz. how did i know you'd try to label "run-and-gun yet again" as innovative?

• Like 1

lulz. how did i know you'd try to label "run-and-gun yet again" as innovative?

I didn't label "run and gun yet again" as innovative. But I guess you didn't actually read my post.

that was a tongue-in-cheek reference to the 2015 cadets.

but....

well...

nvm.

Thanks for adding so much to this conversation. I understand you being cranky though...