2015 Predictions

Oh it looks like my comments were taken the wrong way. I was criticizing the unenthusiastic crowd, not the bada## chord/moment.

That was the standpoint from which I assumed you were speaking, Cappy. However, I hate to impose my own interpretations upon the words of others...it was just that I was not sure from which direction your words were coming...and I did not wish to castigate YOU for a false interpretation on MY part. We're good...and I agree with you. I show this clip to my brass students quite often, and with every viewing, their response is the same..."Holy S**t!!" They know how difficult this is...to maintain the dynamic, tonal, and intonational control throughout the 30+ seconds comprising the final product. To many, it is (or has become, I believe) a "big deal (shrug of the shoulder)" moment. But to those who know brass...and the demands of the final minute of an 11-minute show...it IS a big deal.

What truly bothers me is watching the reactions of those pictured in the stands upon completion of the chord (and, I believe, was your point as well). The whole "Ho, Hum...who's on next.?" sense that I'm seeing from many really makes me seethe. And no, not as a "Trooper" fan...but a fan of Drum and Bugle Corps. I would have been (and in fact, WAS) blown away by that chord NO MATTER who played it. And by ####....I would have been (and in fact, DID) giving it my all to acknowledge it...again, NO MATTER who played it. I guess, however, that "front-running" is the popular sport in America now...

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 1

That was the standpoint from which I assumed you were speaking, Cappy. However, I hate to impose my own interpretations upon the words of others...it was just that I was not sure from which direction your words were coming...and I did not wish to castigate YOU for a false interpretation on MY part. We're good...and I agree with you. I show this clip to my brass students quite often, and with every viewing, their response is the same..."Holy S**t!!" They know how difficult this is...to maintain the dynamic, tonal, and intonational control throughout the 30+ seconds comprising the final product. To many, it is (or has become, I believe) a "big deal (shrug of the shoulder)" moment. But to those who know brass...and the demands of the final minute of an 11-minute show...it IS a big deal.

What truly bothers me is watching the reactions of those pictured in the stands upon completion of the chord (and, I believe, was your point as well). The whole "Ho, Hum...who's on next.?" sense that I'm seeing from many really makes me seethe. And no, not as a "Trooper" fan...but a fan of Drum and Bugle Corps. I would have been (and in fact, WAS) blown away by that chord NO MATTER who played it. And by ####....I would have been (and in fact, DID) giving it my all to acknowledge it...again, NO MATTER who played it. I guess, however, that "front-running" is the popular sport in America now...

Exactly. It was so disappointing to see that half-hearted attempt at applause at the end of the chord. On the better video you posted up, you can really hear how crazy this chord is. No noticeable drop outs, consistent tone and intonation, and consistent volume. That's absolutely crazy to do. Heck even during the one year I marched, my college band had trouble holding out a note like that without noticing trumpet and low brass dropping out and coming back in.

1. Blue Devils

2. Santa Clara Vanguard

3. Carolina Crown

4. Bluecoats

5. Cavaliers

6. Cadets

7. Phantom Regiment

8. Boston Crusaders

9. Blue Knights

10. Blue Stars

11. Crossmen

12. Blue Devils B

13. Troopers

14. Spirit of Atlanta

15. Academy

1. Blue Devils

2. Santa Clara Vanguard

3. Carolina Crown

4. Bluecoats

5. Cavaliers

6. Cadets

7. Phantom Regiment

8. Boston Crusaders

9. Blue Knights

10. Blue Stars

11. Crossmen

12. Blue Devils B

13. Troopers

14. Spirit of Atlanta

15. Academy

Madison taking 2015 off?

1. Blue Devils

2. Santa Clara Vanguard

3. Carolina Crown

4. Bluecoats

5. Cavaliers

6. Cadets

7. Phantom Regiment

8. Boston Crusaders

9. Blue Knights

10. Blue Stars

11. Crossmen

12. Blue Devils B

13. Troopers

14. Spirit of Atlanta

15. Academy

I will never understand the people consistently putting SCV in 1st or 2nd year after year. I know, I know, they've been in the top 4-5 for a while but I don't see how they'll rise higher than that with BD and Cadets consistently killing it. SCV's brass is average in the context of the top 5 corps and they haven't put out a visually clean program in some time. Maybe it's their drill style but they always look dirty to me.

He played three seasons after the streak ended, so not sure of your point.

If I recall correctly, there were times he started and left earlier than normal because of injuries just to keep the streak alive. But, maybe some research should have been done first.

I think the competition for the top 4 is going get tighter and tighter over the next couple seasons. Cadets, Coats, Crown, SCV, and BD all fighting for as high a spot as possible. Cavies might even get thrown in that mix with the improvement they've shown over the past few seasons.

If I recall correctly, there were times he started and left earlier than normal because of injuries just to keep the streak alive. But, maybe some research should have been done first.

Other than a couple games from which he was ejected for arguing with an umpire, Ripken left only four games before the seventh inning during the streak.