2015 Predictions

They have been sheer power...

Not compared to the Shaw and Wren years.... Even Michael Klesch knew how to arrange for Phantom in 2000 and 2001 for power more than the current years, and yes, that's just my opinion. I miss Phantom's powerful signature sound from the last 40 years until a couple of years ago.... So compared to their history, I chuckled at the sheer power comment.

I'd argue that PR has been putting out shows that have been only power and no emotion. Their brass arrangements have lacked any sort of true emotion and instead they've been relying on their phenomenal low brass sound. Don't confuse the concepts of the shows with the actual arrangements being played.

I agree about the lack of emotion. IMO the 2014 show felt a bit "mechanical" in comparison to some past shows.

Thing is, I don't always see it as an issue with the arrangements. There were points last year where they could have slowed down some brass statements and made them more "grand."

Not compared to the Shaw and Wren years.... Even Michael Klesch knew how to arrange for Phantom in 2000 and 2001 for power more than the current years, and yes, that's just my opinion. I miss Phantom's powerful signature sound from the last 40 years until a couple of years ago.... So compared to their history, I chuckled at the sheer power comment.

And sadly, that's all in the past. Can't imagine it will change with the same people in place this year.

And sadly, that's all in the past. Can't imagine it will change with the same people in place this year.

To each their own. 2013 lacked overall but this summer, their sound was phenomenal come finals. As powerful as 2003 in terms of overall brass sound if not more.

To each their own. 2013 lacked overall but this summer, their sound was phenomenal come finals. As powerful as 2003 in terms of overall brass sound if not more.

For those of us who were at Indy for the 3 nights this past August, it was obvious that all of the top 12 corps played with more than sufficient power to satisfy. Finals night, in particular, was electric. The fan network supplied only an approximation of what the live performances were like in terms of impact and power. And, it's not just about sheer volume....good intonation, balance and tone quality differentiated the top corps.

Edited by brichtimp

For those of us who were at Indy for the 3 nights this past August, it was obvious that all of the top 12 corps played with more than sufficient power to satisfy. Finals night, in particular, was electric. The fan network supplied only an approximation of what the live performances were like in terms of impact and power. And, it's not just about sheer volume....good intonation, balance and tone quality differentiated the top corps.

I agree. I didn't love every show from design, but from a brass performance standpoint, top to bottom was fun to listen to at Finals.

Hey I think from top to bottom the whole activity has just improved wonderfully as far as brass sounds. I never thought there would be anything else but G bugles but I think the B flat sounds much better. I'll take tone over volume any day!

(it's like comparing a pair of Cerwin Vega to a pair of AR)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think that BD and SCV will get closer and closer to eachother towards the end and that either bluecoats or cadets (their show design looks really good for the corps that they are) will take third. I also think that BDB and SCVC will surpass even more world class corps like Oregon Crusaders, Academy, Mandarins, Pacific Crest and maybe Colts - maybe even making it to around 14th place...

I think that BD and SCV will get closer and closer to eachother towards the end and that either bluecoats or cadets (their show design looks really good for the corps that they are) will take third. I also think that BDB and SCVC will surpass even more world class corps like Oregon Crusaders, Academy, Mandarins, Pacific Crest and maybe Colts - maybe even making it to around 14th place...

Just from the past few year trends, I'd have to put BD up top but would argue Cadets/Crown over SCV and Bluecoats only based on design for SCV (nice shows but nothing earth shattering) and Bluecoats ( great 2014 but can we design something that great without being Tilt 2)? From Cadets posts, there are doing some wickedly hard stuff so if they can clean it, I think they'll be in the running and Crown with a beefed up percussion team and a design team that usually gets it right, I'd have to put these two with BD for top 3. (Nov prediction FWIW).

Edited by Tobias