2015 Predictions

I wouldn't be worried about them, to be honest, I would feel very confident. The colorguard supervisor, Scott Boerma, and the visual supervisor have all worked together. As for James Sparling, he and Scott Boerma worked on some of the Macy's music, and he is very talented, so I wouldn't worry. He's also not new, James I mean, he's been with the corps for several years and was basically in the role he is in now last year, with Lee Beddis being more of an individual that was offering wisdom, and overseeing things.

If you liked Madison's brass last year, it's virtually the same teaching staff, with a new arranger.

Musically, Scott Boerma is overseeing it all which is a great move because the guy is brilliant. Even though he is not the caption head, he is not one to just write charts and be out of the picture beyond that, he will be very involved I am sure.

Now, as far as their movement, I am saying they'll jump to 5 or 6, which I am sure will get blasted, but I have a great deal of confidence in this team.

Didn't Boerma also write some of the worst shows Madison ever did, not just the great ones?

• Like 1

But he WAS there in 2000,2001,2002,2003, and 2004!

I personally like most of those shows. Besides, the output of an arranger/designer really depends on the administration of the corps more than some may think. From what I have heard actually from a friend who personally knows Scott, his work for Spirit of Atlanta was mostly just complying to the design wishes of the director rather than being able to make free creative designs. The same could have happened for that period of time for Madison. And even still, the brass charts he's put out for Spirit have been pretty great IMO regardless!

Edited by theyremovingit

Didn't Boerma also write some of the worst shows Madison ever did, not just the great ones?

Like what?

...and what would the point of saying that be other than to troll? You've heard the saying: "They can't all be humdingers", right?

I think what you look for is good versus bad. Just because the shows weren't successful doesn't mean that the music was done poorly. I mean come on.... It's pretty obvious.

He WAS there from '89 - '06. In all those years, were the arrangements bad? NO. We the placements of the corps his dealio? NO. So I don't get your logic....

Edited by jjeffeory

Like what?

...and what would the point of saying that be other than to troll? You've heard the saying: "They can't all be humdingers", right?

I think what you look for is good versus bad. Just because the shows weren't successful doesn't mean that the music was done poorly. I mean come on.... It's pretty obvious.

Point being, he's being touted as an upgrade, when many of his waning years were far from that. It is actually an important thing to consider, since this is a prediction thread, putting stock that they will have a better book, when you can cite some things that suggest otherwise from the more recent past at madison and soa is pretty important.

Point being, he's being touted as an upgrade, when many of his waning years were far from that. It is actually an important thing to consider, since this is a prediction thread, putting stock that they will have a better book, when you can cite some things that suggest otherwise from the more recent past at madison and soa is pretty important.

I thought Boerma's SOA arrangements have been great. Remember that during Boerma's post Madison time, he has been busy "upgrading and refining" his skills, working with U of Michigan and WMU.

I also liked '04 and '05 arrangements. Those other years you mentioned, I just didn't enjoy the source material. No one could have arranged it so that I cared for it...

I dunno, Smith's best work has been with Suncoast Sound in the 1980's and early Magic of Orlando ( 1990), imho. So I think Boerma IS an upgrade!

*Sorry, I cleaned up some language. Sometimes I'm a sloppy writer on informal stuff....

Edited by jjeffeory

Some of those had issues visually, but I still listen to each of those shows constantly.

You are right, it is harder in today's DCI to jump a lot, and maybe it is wishful thinking, but that's how I feel about 2015.

thats cool too... these are afterall, prediction threads, so there is of course no right or wrong answers in the offseason.. and only time can tell if any of these predictions eventually come true. So your prediction is no less, nor more worthy than anyone elses at this juncture.

2002 was a finalist musically. visually...well, thats another story