2015 Predictions

Crown , Bluecoats, Blue Stars, Cadets to finish where again, in your preseason prediction ? I'm confused with what your placement predictions are here.

They appear to be numbered talking points, not specific placement predictions. (My take on it, at least.)

Yeah, but normally the goal of predictions is to be realistic.

Ha!

Says you....

Normally the goal of predictions on DCP is to be snarky, cleaver, or to root for your favorite corps.

• Like 3

J Jeff,

Did you mean clever or were you being your Ward Cleaver and the Beaver best?

(How's that for being snarky???) I prefer the realistic and learning which of the DCP posters actually has a crystal ball in December to forecast August accurately.

J Jeff,

Did you mean clever or were you being your Ward Cleaver and the Beaver best?

(How's that for being snarky???) I prefer the realistic and learning which of the DCP posters actually has a crystal ball in December to forecast August accurately.

Ha! Chalk one up for the beaver!

Typos my friend! Typos! Good catch sport!

I don't understand why Cadets score so high? I mean I have respect for the corps and any corps to be honest but I just don't understand their placement? Anyone care to explain why they are so successful scoring wise?

I often tell people "don't let the noise confuse you" in regard to Cadets. My reference is the often pro-active and outspoken director of theirs (who I admire and also disagree with from time to time), and their ability as a corps to try new things. Whether we like it or not, and sometimes we don't, the Cadets are risk takers. Some pay off, some do not. They've had shows, like last years, where 80% of that show I just loved, and then the ending fell flat (at least for me). For others, the narration and stage ruined what was GREAT music and drill. And for others they found nothing to like. As with any corps, we all have different tastes as to how we react and enjoy the content.

Why they score high? It's as simple as this: they are REALLY GOOD!!!!!!

If you want to gauge how a show is going to fair from a scoring standpoint, try to push your personal emotions and personal preferences aside and watch for leg movement, marching style, brass and percussion performance, guard execution and content, demand of the whole show, drill, and overall GE.

Now GE is hotly debated, as it should be, but any long-time drum corps fan can tell you that if you lose to the Blue Devils in every performance caption, that unless you beat them by A LOT in GE you probably don't have a chance. Well, that's the Cadets as well. Maybe not to the degree of BD, but the Cadets are in the ball park.

Last year, for instance, The Cadets only lost to BD during the regular season. No other corps beat them, not until BLOOO did it on Finals night. That's a tremendous accomplishment, especially when you consider BD was all-time good.

Now, was 2014 Cadets' best show ever. No, not even close. But scoring high isn't just about having your best show. How often have we seen BD win with a show that many fans didn't care for? Plenty. And, by the way, I LOVED BD this past summer. Back to the point: scoring high is a matter of individual and ensemble excellence first and foremost. The Cadets have a brass line that, while not Carolina or BD, is capable of being top 3 most years. They have a percussion section capable of being top 3 and winning their fare share of drum trophies each year (they have the most high drum trophies I believe since 2000 -- someone correct me if I'm wrong here). They have one of the few guards that can challenge the Blue Devils world famous guard, they have some of the best LEGS in the activity, and you can always expect a masterful DRILL by Jeff Saktig, one that will utilize the field and staging in a brilliant way and will also challenge the heck out of the marchers.

This is why they have 10 World Championships since 1983. This is 2014, so in 31 years they won 10 titles, with numerous 2nd and 3rd place finishes. Only BD has done better from 1983 to present.

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 2

Thank You jwillis35. Thanks for explaining why the Cadets are one of the top corps. They are and will be one of my favorites. 2001..... Best show maybe they ever did. 2011.....They blew me away. 1995..... So emotional. 2014...... I listen to this show as many times at BD. The list will go on and on. Boring? Hell no.

I was a drum corps fan for decades before my son had his one shot to age out with the 2014 Cadets. For me, the consistent excellence and integration of the brass and the percussion writing (just so musical) along with the great drill execution and demand makes almost every Cadets show memorable; and boring never comes to mind for me. Can't wait to see how 2015 comes together.

1-3. Cadevolina

4-6. Cavablooguard

7. Blue Knights

8. Phantom

9. Boston

10. Madison

11. Blue Stars

12. Colts

• Like 1

Purely off of gut feeling:

1. Cadets

2. Blue Devils

3. Carolina Crown

4. Bluecoats

5. Cavaliers

6. Phantom Regiment

7. Santa Clara Vanguard

8. Boston Crusaders (misses top 7 by 0.1)

9. Blue Knights

10. Madison Scouts

11. Blue Stars

12. Troopers