2015 Predictions

Really can't see this happening with their movement the last several years.

Any given year. Who saw it coming that PR would fall from 1st to 9th from 08-09? And also, it doesn't necessarily mean SCV got worse, it just means everyone else got better.

Any given year. Who saw it coming that PR would fall from 1st to 9th from 08-09? And also, it doesn't necessarily mean SCV got worse, it just means everyone else got better.

Probably the same number that saw them going from the 2007 show to winning in 2008, considering once all corps were competing that year at the end of June they were scoring in about 4th with their scores at the end July. http://www.dciscores.com/world/?year=2008 and started 2009 right around the 4-5 range. http://www.dciscores.com/world/?year=2009 before dropping to 9th in August.

So is the fluke that they won, or that they dropped so much.

SCV has a tendency to be a little more consistent than PR the past few years, so I sincerely doubt SCV will drop off-Not with the music designers and staff alone.

Year Corps Placement Corps Placement

2008 PR 1 SCV 7

2009 PR 9 SCV 5

2010 PR 6 SCV 7

2011 PR 5 SCV 6

2012 PR 3 SCV 5

2013 PR 6 SCV 4

2014 PR 7 SCV 4

Based on this, it wouldn't be out of the question for PR to drop to the 9-10 range and SCV pop up into the top 3. It's certainly not going to help PR losing those on the visual/guard staff either.

• Like 1

Let the slotting commence!

Oh, I think it began LONG before this thread was started.

Probably the same number that saw them going from the 2007 show to winning in 2008, considering once all corps were competing that year at the end of June they were scoring in about 4th with their scores at the end July. http://www.dciscores.com/world/?year=2008 and started 2009 right around the 4-5 range. http://www.dciscores.com/world/?year=2009 before dropping to 9th in August.

So is the fluke that they won, or that they dropped so much.

SCV has a tendency to be a little more consistent than PR the past few years, so I sincerely doubt SCV will drop off-Not with the music designers and staff alone.

Year Corps Placement Corps Placement

2008 PR 1 SCV 7

2009 PR 9 SCV 5

2010 PR 6 SCV 7

2011 PR 5 SCV 6

2012 PR 3 SCV 5

2013 PR 6 SCV 4

2014 PR 7 SCV 4

Based on this, it wouldn't be out of the question for PR to drop to the 9-10 range and SCV pop up into the top 3. It's certainly not going to help PR losing those on the visual/guard staff either.

Does SCV having some of PR's design staff throw a wrench into this discussion? I know there are more to a design team than the music arrangers, but same arrangers who wrote for PR's 1-9 years are also writing at SCV, aren't they?

The odd thing about SCV recently:

I think they've been doing really safe (to an extent) shows the last two years - shows that IMO could not medal because of the design, and placed as high because of achievement. I think for SCV to be Top 3 again they will need to do a more innovative show design, and with that also comes the risk of dropping again. Doing something new risks failing/missing the mark

2012 is a good example, IMO, of mixing "safe," tried-and-true literature (Planets, music from Phantom of the Opera) while bringing a fresh visual theme & some newer literature (the Mackey and Whitacre pieces that were relatively new to drum corps when SCV did them in 2012). I would love to see SCV go back in a similar direction - something not too esoteric (like Devil's Staircase of 3Hree) but also not something that thematically and rep-wise has been done before (like Les Mis or 2014).

Of course, I really liked SCV the last few years, and while concept-wise I rolled my eyes and groaned a bit when I heard Les Mis and Scheherazade but ended up really liking Les Mis and appreciating 2014.

• Like 1

Posted in wrong thread earlier...

My thoughts:

Everyone is so far off in their predictions..... Come on it's as clear as day

1) Bandettes

2) Les Etiole

3) Lone Star

4) Glassmen

5) Americanos

6) Florida Wave

7) Kiwanis Kavaliers

8) Suncoast Sound

9) Star of Indiana

10) Freelancers

11) Sky Riders

12) Southwind

I agree except you forgot Academie Musicale!

So I fixed that for you :-)

Posted in wrong thread earlier...

My thoughts:
Everyone is so far off in their predictions..... Come on it's as clear as day

1) Bandettes

2) Academie Musicale (tie)
2) Les Etoiles (tie)
3) Lone Star
4) Glassmen
5) Americanos
6) Florida Wave
7) Kiwanis Kavaliers
8) Suncoast Sound
9) Star of Indiana
10) Freelancers
11) Sky Riders
12) Southwind

Excited to see where the Cascades go, was hugely impressed with their show last year, HUGELY impressed. Greatly improved in performance captions as well, especially that awesome guard. Looks like they're having great numbers at camps and are fielding a moderately larger corps this year, I'd love to see them move into the conversation with Pacific Crest, Mandarins, ect. soon. New staff they got last year sounds excited and eager to revamp them. Would be cool to see them around 20th or so, or at least in Semis this coming year.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 4