2015 Predictions

Has not the usual 12th-13th cut off score for World Class finals been around an 84 or so over the long haul?

Since moving to Indy in 2009, Semifinals 13th and 12th Place Scores:

2009 - 85.60, 85.90

2010 - 84.65, 86.50

2011 - 83.40, 86.55

2012 - 84.60, 84.90

2013 - 86.05, 86.20

2014 - 85.35, 85.45

Average 13th Place Score - 84.94

Average 12th Place Score - 85.91

Average Gap - .975 (Though I'm sure 2011s 3.15 gap made that average shoot up).

Edited by DrumManTx

Apples and Oranges( and maybe " waffles " for some) on this score topic.

The scoring system used today is vastly different than the one used in the 80's... or even the one used as recently as just 4,5 years ago.

And the scores from the 70's can all be thrown out altogether when discussing comparison's, as those scores were not done with the build up system. Instead DCI system utilized back then what is commonly called " the tic system ", and that system of judging was fundamentally at odds with the later " build up " system that essentially scrapped the tic system in its entirety and incorporated instead a build up system for judging Corps in competition that we have today. Thus, comparing scores from different shows in the same nite, with different judging panels and mix of Corps, is fraught with silliness.... and comparing Corps scores and placement positions from different DECADE eras ( like the 80's ), is even more silly and has as much usefulness as comparing 2014 American NFL football scores and stats with 1970- 1980 Canadian Football League scores and stats. In other words, don't waste your time even mentioning what the DCI scores were at different placement positions ( 1st or 40th ) throughout the DCI years.

Edited by BRASSO

I think the top corps used to be in the 90-93 range back in the tick era. Those judges were brutal.

Since moving to Indy in 2009, Semifinals 13th and 12th Place Scores:

2009 - 85.60, 85.90

2010 - 84.65, 86.50

2011 - 83.40, 86.55

2012 - 84.60, 84.90

2013 - 86.05, 86.20

2014 - 85.35, 85.45

Average 13th Place Score - 84.94

Average 12th Place Score - 85.91

Average Gap - .975 (Though I'm sure 2011s 3.15 gap made that average shoot up).

Thanks. I my recollection was around that even with the different sheets.

I think the top corps used to be in the 90-93 range back in the tick era. Those judges were brutal.

And under that " brutal " system as you described, Corps could make the Finals with scores in the high 70's... and at Finals Night, some of those 11th, 12th place Corps scored in the lower 70's, 20 or more points out of first.

Edited by BRASSO

Are you seriously suggesting that 88.10 is going to be left out of Finals? Madness! Madness, I tell you!

Oh well...sorry to dissapoint you...but apparently I am.

I'm not Nostradamus. Live with it.

And if I am indeed proven wrong, which I would be the very first to admit I probably am...I can assure you that I'd be the first to laugh at myself...but I'll lose no sleep over it.

All in good fun, my Dear...all in good fun.

I'm not an idiot. Is 88.4 a score far above any previously 12th place score? Of course it is. Do I realize that this is stepping out on a very precarious limb...of course I do. And is this a prediction which seems to be totally idiotic with the current existential score range of DCI finalists? Yes, indeed. However...

1) Please let me point out that anybody who predicted a winning score of 99.65 in 2014 would have been met with the same amount of suspicion and derision that my stated prediction is to be met with...yet, they would, in the long run, have been totally correct, wouldn't they?

2) I am a student of human nature, and human nature tells me that based on the winning score of 2014, there will be a natural reaction to "clamp down" on scores in some/all categories.

3) Yet...if we are to maintain that the relative level of performance in all areas is increasing with each passing year, how is it that we should, at the same time, hold to "what came before"? Would such a holding pattern be a matter of lack of growth, or could it be that there is a subconscious tendency to "go with the norm"....and hold ourselves hostage to the dictates of the past, instead of accepting the growth of the present? In most cases, agree or disagree, we all saw a tremendous jump in an all-time high score at the top last year. Who is to say that the same can't happen for 12th place?

As I said...right or wrong, I'm not going to lose any sleep over my prediction. If I were to lose the Powerball Lottery by a single integer, then I'd lose sleep. This one? Naaaahhhhh.....

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 1

And if I am indeed proven wrong, which I would be the very first to admit I probably am...I can assure you that I'd be the first to laugh at myself...but I'll lose no sleep over it.

my dear, all in good fun, yeah right.

How some things never change, move on nothing to read here.

GO DCI!

I'm not an idiot. Is 88.4 a score far above any previously 12th place score? Of course it is. Do I realize that this is stepping out on a very precarious limb...of course I do. And is this a prediction which seems to be totally idiotic with the current existential score range of DCI finalists? Yes, indeed. However...

1) Please let me point out that anybody who predicted a winning score of 99.65 in 2014 would have been met with the same amount of suspicion and derision that my stated prediction is to be met with...yet, they would, in the long run, have been totally correct, wouldn't they?

2) I am a student of human nature, and human nature tells me that based on the winning score of 2014, there will be a natural reaction to "clamp down" on scores in some/all categories.

3) Yet...if we are to maintain that the relative level of performance in all areas is increasing with each passing year, how is it that we should, at the same time, hold to "what came before"? Would such a holding pattern be a matter of lack of growth, or could it be that there is a subconscious tendency to "go with the norm"....and hold ourselves hostage to the dictates of the past, instead of accepting the growth of the present? In most cases, agree or disagree, we all saw a tremendous jump in an all-time high score at the top last year. Who is to say that the same can't happen for 12th place?

As I said...right or wrong, I'm not going to lose any sleep over my prediction. If I were to lose the Powerball Lottery by a single integer, then I'd lose sleep. This one? Naaaahhhhh.....

Sense of humor?

Taking a different tack entirely. Keeping Corps out of the mix, and predicting final scores:

1. 99.175

2. 98.55

3. 98.20

4. 97.15

5. 96.525

6. 95.95

7. 93.9

8. 92.85

9. 91.75

10. 90.80

11. 88.65

12. 88.40

Taking a still different tack, and predicting the ordinals:

1. 1

2. 2

3. 3

4. 4

5. 5

6. 6

7. 7

8. 8

9. 9

10. 10

11. 11

12. 12

I'm sure someone out there will disagree with me.

* Edited upon further reflection. I swapped 7 and 8. You can't tell because 8 became 7 and 7 became 8, but I assure you I did.

Edited by skevinp