Staff merrigoround

hoping to see a different brass arranger at Phantom Regiment. My vote goes to frank sullivan! But another logical choice might be someone currently on their staff page who has arranged a championship program before...

Would also see michael gaines return to cavaliers if not anywhere else... I really miss being wowed by his drill!

That would be a great choice!!

• Like 2

I would be surprised if Michael Lentz stayed with Boston and didn't go back to judging/other ventures. With the exception of Onyx, I haven't seen him stay with other programs long.

I think they already have someone on staff that could be extremely effective...Alan Spaeth. The man is extremely artistic and creative (not to mention has a track record of success) and could prove to breathe some life into what has become a redundant theme in the shows these past several years.

I looked up, and his track record in drum corps isn't particularly outstanding (consultant to 2013 Cavaliers - 7th, and PR this year, 7th). As their visual head, this year they came out with lots of black fabric on the field (the presto chango tunnels, for ex), which wasn't exactly groundbreaking design work. Come to think of it, 2013 Cavaliers also featured lots of plain black fabric in the design. Bit of a yawn there.

Edited by Slingerland

Fairly safe in saying the top guys at BD aren't going anywhere.

Some of the techs, yes...real life and such...but Downey, Meehan, Chandler, Johnson, etc? Nope...why mess with what's been working for decades?

There ain't no revolving door at BD....never has been,

No better chemistry than this group of brilliant and talented minds. I just wish Dave Glyde received more props than he does.

• Like 2

No better chemistry than this group of brilliant and talented minds. I just wish Dave Glyde received more props than he does.

Dave Glyde might be the most under-the-radar guy in DCI history. I'm not sure anyone outside of the Blue Devils organization and alumni bade realize how valuable he really is.

• Like 2

who knows who will change? Stuff people cried about that needed to be changed after last year wasn't....and some of the changes that people did want and got didn't work out.

• Like 1

I looked up, and his track record in drum corps isn't particularly outstanding (consultant to 2013 Cavaliers - 7th, and PR this year, 7th). As their visual head, this year they came out with lots of black fabric on the field (the presto chango tunnels, for ex), which wasn't exactly groundbreaking design work. Come to think of it, 2013 Cavaliers also featured lots of plain black fabric in the design. Bit of a yawn there.

there's this whole world outside of dci that he has been great at...and choosing two years with corps that had a host of other problems isn't a great argument.

in addition, at Cavies he was only a consultant, so whatever influence he had would be minimal. same for Regiment. he was visual coordinator, the go-between for the drill writer and the vis staff/guard. so saying he had a lot of influence on either corps just isn't true. now, if he'd been program coordinator for both and then they placed as they did, he could be considered as more of a contributing factor.

Edited by chaos001
  • Like 2

I would be surprised if Michael Lentz stayed with Boston and didn't go back to judging/other ventures. With the exception of Onyx, I haven't seen him stay with other programs long.

Wow, didn't realize ML was with Boston. That explains a lot about their show.

Re the comment about them placing 13th in semis: they did have more competition that day. They could have had an off day combined with other guards who were good but whose corps didn't make finals (like the Colts).

• Like 1

The two major percussion features in the show were designed specifically to set up a transition for a moment the brass wanted to create (the switches in and out of the high brass/frisbee feature). If the brass designers didn't want that moment, I doubt the battery would have had that exposure. One of those features was spent playing a sticking exercise on truck mufflers. In the mean time, the front had pretty much zero exposure in the entire show.

That's hardly programming to feature the percussion section.

The brass is the pretty clear priority in terms of programming exposure, more so than most other corps I saw this year.

I'm not suggesting that I know where those programming decisions come from. Again, the Crown percussion thing is a strange beast. Hard to tell if its Hannum, Klesch or someone else making those calls. In the mean time, their percussion execution numbers continue to be low compared to the rest of the corps. I could definitely see a justification for making a change.

I disagree entirely with your assessment, and I can also tell you the judges did as well. They routinely bagged on them for featuring the battery twice, and the muffler section in addition to that. There were also two distinct areas (besides the muffler drumming) where the battery was at the front of the field being featured while the brass was off in their own little world. That equals three features before the 7 minute mark in the show -- from your weakest section.

I know you may not believe me (and trust me -- I also can't stand people who don't name sources, so I'm being hypocritical here I know) but I know one DCI judge personally who shared his opinions with some band director friends of mine. He spoke of the percussion feature issues time and time again. And being a percussion guy himself and a DCI judge who was out in the trenches this season, the direct comments he made were never addressed.

• Like 1