Staff merrigoround

ROFLMFAO!!

That's what they said about Beddis, then Hannum.....and, when Aungst went to Blue Stars, the talking heads on DCP all said Stars would take take top drums...

I don't recall anyone saying Blue Stars would win drums, that's a pretty gross exaggeration. However, I'd argue that Blue Stars strongest section in 2010 - 2012 WAS the percussion, 2010 is arguable but I'd say so in 2011 and 2012, in 2011 leading up to finals they were beating everyone outside of BD, Cadets, Bloo, SCV, and Cavies. I liked Beddis's work at Crown, in comparison to what is going on now. Their 2009 Percussion section in particular I really enjoyed. As far as now, I think they've made progress from 2012 to 2013 to 2014, they haven't made a huge step forward however.

Edited by DrumManTx

Phantom definitely needs a new visual designer. Come on Michael Gaines jump on board!

No and No.

Phantom does not need a new visual designer.

As for MG, I'm sure he's so busy right now with the number of groups he works with, that he's not even thinking about returning anywhere.

• Like 2

No they don't! Thompson is one of the best in the business.

I wouldn't go to that extreme either. He's great for what Phantom Regiment wants to do: not push the envelope visually but design visual products that make tremendous sense.

I hope he sticks around, but I wouldn't consider him among the best.

• Like 1

I wouldn't go to that extreme either. He's great for what Phantom Regiment wants to do: not push the envelope visually but design visual products that make tremendous sense.

I hope he sticks around, but I wouldn't consider him among the best.

For a guard person, his staging for them wasn't as good as it usually is. Maybe it was that the uni blended into the corps proper and made it difficult to see them. However, it should've been taken into account and adjusted for.

On another note, guard staff has to step it back up.

Edited by chaos001
  • Like 3

No, he means Dave. He's been working extensively with Wayne on the music program for some time, extensively writing much of, if not all of it before handing it off to Wayne for orchestration.

Spot on. All you hear every year is wow Downey wrote another great book but since 2006 at least I would say it's more 75%-25% David Glyde. They make a killer pair though.

I think it would be a HUGE mistake for Phantom to let Jamey Thompson go. He get's Phantom and some of his drills have been absolutely spectacular for Phantom, when not constrained by too much story telling. I have a feeling with all the rookies they had this year, that there was an intent to make sure what was on the field was achievable. I still liked their drill this year and from up top there were some nice swan-like references in the drill. Not the masterpieces from 05-07 or '12, but still good stuff.

Brass arrangement on the other hand, change is definitely needed. There is only so much CC can do to resurrect a Phantom brass sound & performance despite the arrangements. Regiment won't truly be Regiment until there is a music vehicle that allows them to raise the hair on your arms again through moments of exhiliration as well as beauty. (89, 90, 91, 93, 96, 00, 01, 03-08, 10, 11 etc, etc.). That has been missing for 3 years now in my opinion.

Harvey

Edited by TexasPRfan
  • Like 4