Staff merrigoround

You mean Thom Hannum's protege?

Seeing him come out of retirement for Crown wouldn't seem too outlandish considering his son is the center snare.

Wasn't his son a bass drummer last year? Was it an entirely brand new snare line this season if he was in the center?

interesting connection regarding his son - didn't know that

I was basing it on his return somewhat to the activity this year (Blue Stars?) and his prior working relationship with Crowns arranger - those two did some great stuff at Cadets as a combo

Nope, also on snare last year. I believe there were two other Dartmouth students on Bass and Tenors, though.

Thats cool. I thought people mentioned last season he was a bass drummer. Its cool he apparently didn't feel pressure to march Cadets because of his family history there.

interesting connection regarding his son - didn't know that

I was basing it on his return somewhat to the activity this year (Blue Stars?) and his prior working relationship with Crowns arranger - those two did some great stuff at Cadets as a combo

He returned to the activity with Blue Stars for the 2010, 2011 and 2012 seasons. Blue Stars percussion has been a Mapes/Grom operation since 2013. He was a "consultant" at Pacific Crest this year.

Too bad about Mason leaving Scouts. Hopefully they make complete changes in visual design and get a hands on coordinator that understands how to score. Also look at how arrangements are done. Seemed very segmented. As soon as something started to develop it was gone.

Speaking of Madison Visual Design..what year(s) was it that Todd Ryan was the Drill writer for them? I know he at least did 1989.

I think he might have done 1988 as well.

It's my understanding he did rewrites in '88 as did Scott Boerma, although many have thought he arranged that show as a whole, but both Todd Ryan and Scott Boerma became designers outright in '89.