Staff merrigoround

Crown could use some help, but probably at the tech level more than the book level. The book was serviceable this year (they've never been percussion-centric), but the glaring execution problems from the battery were what killed them in the caption.

Hoping for their sake that Madison had a next generation set of leaders ready for this type of major change, since there don't appear to be that many name-brand designers or caption heads in play this off-season (MacIntosh has already stated he's back at Cavaliers 2015 with his staff, so he's not in play).

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 2

......as a percussionist I can say with full confidence, no. No they are not. They're nowhere near where they need to be as part of a top 5 corps. They're improving, but I have no desire to go listen to a Carolina Crown lot video and they need to kick it into high gear.

As a non-percussionist, Crown sounds fine to my untrained ears. I seriously don't care if Crown is 1st in brass or 3rd in brass, 1st in percussion or 8th in percussion. As long as they keep putting out well designed, crowd pleasing, and entertaining shows, I think Crown's music design is completely fine.

I have no desire to listen to any percussion in the lot video ever :smile:

Mr. Beddis does not need to return to Crown at all. His lines in 2010, 2011 were no where near top five lines

I'd say 5th and 6th is someplace close to top 5.

Whether or not Beddis should be back at Crown, the 2009 line is the best Crown has had. Plain and simple.

• Like 1

Yeah, with the freedom and support Mac gets at Cavaliers, I can't imagine him leaving any time soon. He's had a long standing relationship there, and has a huge hand in the design process (not to mention how the ensemble is run). It would take something pretty serious to pry him away to go somewhere else.

As a non-percussionist, Crown sounds fine to my untrained ears. I seriously don't care if Crown is 1st in brass or 3rd in brass, 1st in percussion or 8th in percussion. As long as they keep putting out well designed, crowd pleasing, and entertaining shows, I think Crown's music design is completely fine.

I have no desire to listen to any percussion in the lot video ever :smile:

If their hornline was the weak one, you'd be singing a different song. They're not horrible, but Crown deserves better. My whole family who has no music training whatsoever all noticed in the finals webcast.

• Like 2

Crown could use some help, but probably at the tech level more than the book level. The book was serviceable this year (they've never been percussion-centric), but the glaring execution problems from the battery were what killed them in the caption.

Hoping for their sake that Madison had a next generation set of leaders ready for this type of major change, since there don't appear to be that many name-brand designers or caption heads in play this off-season (MacIntosh has already stated he's back at Cavaliers 2015 with his staff, so he's not in play).

I think Crown had a pretty bold percussion book this year... I agree that it's more the teaching staff that need changing, not the design.

• Like 1

I still think Beddis would be a definite improvement. Although, I can't see any big name designer or caption head wanting to take on the Crown gig though. The percussion writing will always be second priority to the brass program.

I still think Beddis would be a definite improvement. Although, I can't see any big name designer or caption head wanting to take on the Crown gig though. The percussion writing will always be second priority to the brass program.

Well, that's how it should be. Can you name one case where the drum book was written first? Though I do admit that there were times the last couple of years where SCV sounded like they wrote the percussion first.

Edited by Kamarag