Staff merrigoround

In some people's minds.

Your argument is: JT left, corps survives, corps wins next year without JT.

To parallel that year with this year would mean that all other variables are equal with '08, which is not true.

If you had left out the championship reference, I would agree.

And let's play "how much of his original drill ended up on the field Finals night?" Next to none. Most of his original drill was rewritten during camp and then redone by Tony Hall.

And that's a new practice in drum corps or with JT's drill.

I would find it hard to believe that most corps change significant amounts of drill and music over the summer.

I know in my 3 years we made huge changes in our show.

If you saw the Jesus Christ Superstar show in June, you wouldn't have recognized the bulk of it in August.

I don't see how changes mean lack of quality.

Lincoln, I really think you're missing the larger point: when Phantom Regiment gets great designers (people who propel them up the ranks, higher than what I've argued is their average of 5th place), they end up moving on, typically because they aren't happy.

You can say "life goes on." This is no doubt true. The sun came up this morning with Jamey Thompson not being involved with Phantom Regiment.

But there's a bigger looming issue: something about the organization (many have said that it's a particular individual) that makes high competent people not want to hang around. This staff may produce a great product next year that I'll enjoy and listen to forever, but this isn't the 2005-2007 staff. Nothing about this group makes me excited like I was back then. Luckily, Regiment doesn't make decisions with me in mind. But they should make decisions with their talented staff in mind.

You can say that Thompson left previously and they won a title without him. That is absolutely a true statement. However, I would argue that the corps won in spite of who wrote the drill that year (the same guy who laid a much bigger turd/egg in 2009). For what it's worth, I don't think Jeremy Hunt will be writing 2009esque Phantom Regiment drill - he's been around the block long enough to avoid that.

I concur.

Don't restructure your argument now. JT did leave. Nick S. did come in as drill designer, but it was not his drill that won. Let's not forget to credit the rest of the design that made it possible for winning (esp. the Rennicks!). That was a totally different situation to compare to this one and are not comparable. Survive, yes. Compete for a championship without the high caliber music, viz, and guard staff? No way.

Hell, they were lucky to field a corps. They had to fold and restructure after the '07 season.

Yes, exactly.

This is not the 2005-07 staff sans Thompson.

The 2015 edition of Phantom Regiment without Jamey Thompson is not the 2008 staff.

I think Don Hill is a solid high school band arranger, but he isn't doing what JD Shaw did for Regiment.

I think Bret Kuhn will eventually rebound from the Gwaltney years, but he wasn't Paul Rennick when he was winning corps titles with the Cavaliers.

The current guard designers may be great, but they haven't shown the design ability of Adam Sage from 2005-08 (regardless of what extra baggage was attached).

2015 without Jamey Thompson does NOT equate to 2008 without Jamey Thompson.

Edited by kdaddy
  • Like 1

And that's a new practice in drum corps or with JT's drill.

I would find it hard to believe that most corps change significant amounts of drill and music over the summer.

I know in my 3 years we made huge changes in our show.

If you saw the Jesus Christ Superstar show in June, you wouldn't have recognized the bulk of it in August.

I don't see how changes mean lack of quality.

I'm not sure we're arguing the same point. I wasn't referring to JT at all in '08's drill. Care to clarify?

Comparing staffs head to head:

GE Visual, Visual Analysis, CG

SOA '11: 11, 11, 12

PR '11: 4, 5, 5

SOA '12: 12, 12, 10

PR '12: 3, 2, 2

SOA '13: 11, 10, 12

PR '13: 5, 5, 4

Now things could just be peachy next year, but there is a reason for concern. Losing the visual design and guard staff over the last two years will be tough for PR competitively.

Just curious and It may be a long story but why has it been so difficult for PR to retain staff?