Staff merrigoround

Just curious and It may be a long story but why has it been so difficult for PR to retain staff?

Let's just say it dates back to before their first championship, and there are multiple reasons.

• Like 1

Just curious and It may be a long story but why has it been so difficult for PR to retain staff?

One of the oldest tenured staff members (Dan Farrell) has a very close friendship with one of the young men that marched a long time with the corps and became a caption head (Josh Scott). Tenured staff member puts a lot of stock in the young man and his decision making and personal/professional friendships with others in the activity.

The staff is slowly becoming all of that young man's friends, no matter what point they are in in their professional careers.

Basically, one Texas BOA band director is ruining the organization, enabled by someone who wants him to succeed because he is an alumnus of the corps. The old man is blind to the fact that this allegiance is slowly killing the corps competitively and it means that people not well suited for roles are coming on board in droves, because they are his "friends".

To compound the issue, the young caption head himself has bigger fish to fry with how the group marches. They march with locked legs, through the hips. Have horrible inconsistency from performer to performer, foot phasing, and a visual vocabulary that is laughable in the activity.

Edited by lumbargleeful
  • Like 1

If only people would listen, learn, and apply. Though I've not always enjoyed their products, they know how to create and maintain excellence. Props to Gibbs for running the organization well and to Chandler for being the model for what a program coordinator should be.

(Even if it's all a big conspiracy. Lol!)

And actually, it goes all the way back to Jerry Seawright...Gibbs grew up in the system and understands how it works.

• Like 1

To compound the issue, the young caption head himself has bigger fish to fry with how the group marches. They march with locked legs, through the hips. Have horrible inconsistency from performer to performer, foot phasing, and a visual vocabulary that is laughable in the activity.

I hope they weren't suppose to be locking legs, because I remember commenting at one point how I was happy they got away from that...

• Like 2

Because nothing says visual excellence like Spirit in the last 10 years.

Well, did you expect him to write a championship-level program for a borderline finalist corps? What a complete disaster that would have been, and an irresponsible one at that. What he did write for Spirit allowed them to be successful. many people around here fail to consider that a really good designer designs for what he was, not what he wishes (or someone else wishes) he had.

• Like 6

I hope they weren't suppose to be locking legs, because I remember commenting at one point how I was happy they got away from that...

For what it's worth, the only time locking of legs/knees came up when I was there was when they were telling us very specifically, and under no uncertain terms, to never, ever do it.