Staff merrigoround

BlueStainGlass, just curious. Do you believe a drum corps hornline can be sucessful with a caption head that has no drum corps brass marching experience. I don't really know.

• Like 2

BlueStainGlass, just curious. Do you believe a drum corps hornline can be sucessful with a caption head that has no drum corps brass marching experience. I don't really know.

Judging from the fact there are several brass guys in the DCI Hall of Fame who never marched, I'd say yes, absolutely.

• Like 3

I will say as an alumnus, this terrifies me. Not saying he won't do a good job or anything, but we have every right to be sceptical of this hire. The dudes going to have to prove himself to a crap ton of people. I hope the best for him, I truely do, but he hasn't earned a certain something yet.

If I was a vet, in all honesty I would have a little voice in the back of my head saying "And who are you? You haven't been through this." Call me petty or whatever, but I know 100% that I would not be the only one to feel this way. Seriously, the guy hasn't been through the sweat, tears and blood that you would expect from your leader. It's like being led into battle by someone who has never even been through boot camp. He might be an excellent skeet shooter, but it's totally different when shooting at a live target.

Also we talk sometimes about the judges relationships with staff and corps, non of these judges know this guy, so it will be interesting to see if there is any evidence of this on the judges sheets.

And finally, just the fact that he has Dr in front of his name kinda annoys me. But that is just a petty thing lol

So yeah, I am nervous, but I am going to put my full support and faith in the guy because now he is family. I just hope we aren't let down.

Edited by TubaJon
  • Like 1

I can understand the worry with hiring someone with no drum corps experience but I think Stars will be fine. I was at Auburn with, Dr. Miller and he is a great guy and even better teacher. He is highly regarded for his work. He was at Auburn with Stars director Russ Gavin, so those two know each other very well. I'm sure this hire wouldn't have been made had Russ not had the utmost confidence in Ward. As far as the judging community, they may not know his drum corps ability but I'm pretty positive they know him and his stellar reputation.

Christian Charicner the brass caption head a Phantom never marched to the best of my knowledge. They sounded pretty good to me last year. I don;t think you need marching experience to teach a hornline to play. There may be some new challenges, but it's sort of silly to think that it's a prerequisite.

Not to say that Adam didn't do a good job however. I think he did a great job.

I know he's worked with multiple guards, but I remember him at Phantom the most.

He started at Phantom in 2005 and the guard that year was incredible. Not just in improved technique and equipment book - the guard concept for the show was really nice. Costumes, flags (art deco style chevron designs) and head pieces were all imaginative and effective down to almost every last detail. Suddenly Phantom didn't just have a better guard - they had one of the most effective. I remember how disappointed I was when they announced the music for that year. Then I saw the show and I was completely blown away, not only from a musical standpoint - the visual package was incredible.

All his years at Phantom showed the same imagination and detail. I know it takes a team to put it together, but his arrival was the start of a significant improvement through to 2008.

• Like 1

I say give the new brass caption head at The Blue Stars a chance. Like many others, I've known Russ Gavin for a long time; he is blue through-and-through. If he didn't believe in what Ward could bring to the corps, he wouldn't have brought him in. Moreover, the rest of the caption heads must have liked what they've heard and read about him. For all the talk about wanting some new blood in the activity, all this talk about "lack of experience within it" seems kind of contradictory.

For all the current members that may be on the fence about returning...think of all that you have done for the horn line and corps. Give the guy a chance. The organization is on its way back up in the top 12, again; jumping ship because there is somebody new at the helm may result in missed opportunities for potential greatness.

FCO!

Only corps to really keep Staff intact are CADETS and BD.

All else are always making changes.

Bluecoats have all caption heads and all designers returning for 2015.

• Like 1

TubaJon,

If he were feeling better, I bet you would have gotten quite a retort about:" And finally, just the fact that he has Dr in front of his name kinda annoys me. But that is just a petty thing lol" from Dr. David Kampshoerer, you know one of those legacies of Blue Stars and DCI history, HoF, etc., etc.

There are quite a few of us in the activity. most having well earned the title with their extra time, work, and sweat let alone dedication. And music and music performance aren't the only fields of study which have made/do make significant contributions to the activity.