DCI Finals - August 9 2014

What a night it was in Indianapolis for the Drum Corps International World Championships! For this long-time viewer of the activity it may have been the best collection of talent I've ever seen, with each of the final top 12 drum corps in the world giving their best performances on the last night of the season. The crowd, much like any Finals audience, was appreciative of all the shows and everyone seemed to have a great time, no matter who your favorite was.

I simply don't have time to write a full review of each show at this point in time (morning after). We check-out of the hotel soon and head back to Canton, OH, and then my buddy heads back to Liberty, OH. But here are some general thoughts:

• Was this the best DCI Finals yet? Maybe. I'd say it was the best collection of performing ensembles. I still probably like 1995 and 2000 for entertainment value, but the marching and playing this year were really wonderful.
  • Crowd - this had to be the largest crowd I've seen at DCI Finals since 2007 Pasadena, CA. It was not quite that big, but man was that place packed last night. DCI attendance seems to be on a upswing judging from numbers I'm getting on other shows.
  • The Bluecoats - WOW WOW WOW! So impressed with this corps, and a big shout-out to Dave Glasgow for being honored as Director of the Year. So deserving. They run a well-organized drum corps and they should be extremely proud of their entire organization. Even this long-time Cadets fan is not surprised that these continued successes come the Bluecoats direction. The organization has worked hard for many years to pave the way for financial, organizational, and competitive success; and under Dave's leadership the Bluecoats have achieved many wonderful years of showmanship and financial stability.
    • The corps' performance last night was outstanding. I thought they got off to a somewhat slow start (just minor stuff), but once they got going they nailed their show. Maybe the best introduction of a corps ever (how they were announced when their show started--did not use Brant Crocker). I also thought they won high drums last night. I knew SCV would win the trophy since they had already won the two previous nights, but I really thought Bluecoats percussion performance last night was the best on the field. Great show, awesome GE, and the ending rocked the joint as it did all season.
  • Carolina Crown, despite placing 5th (nothing to sneeze at--most corps would love to place that high), really came to play. If there was a corps that received an OVATION as large or larger than that of Bluecoats, it was Carolina Crown last night. You would have thought they were the Madison Scouts of 1997 with that standing-O. HOLY COW, that brass line was so awesome last night that the crowd was oohing and awwing the entire show. They were shouting, screaming, and clapping at every articulated passage or fast scalar line, or at the sheer power and intonation of this monumental brass line. Oh, and the rest of the corps was pretty magnificent too. Never in my life have I found myself in tears after a show because the brass was so good. Last night I was in tears because of that brass line and because Carolina's total show finally hit and we all loved it! The audience rose as ONE and roared their approval of this past champion. My buddy can attest that he's never seen me with happy tears in my eyes after a show....but that performance by Crown's brass was that amazing! How the Blue Devils---who have an amazing brass line in their own right---beat Crown last night is beyond. me. I would have had BD in a close second. BD would have won the Ott anyway (after winning brass on Thur. and Fri.), but Crown deserve it last night.

Most entertaining Shows (in no order, but being as objective as I can judging from the crowd): Bluecoats, Carolina Crown, Blue Knights, Phantom Regiment, and Cavaliers.

Best Traditional Drill - The Cadets, The Cavaliers, Santa Clara Vanguard, and Blue Knights

Best Use of Staging with Drill - Blue Devils, Bluecoats, Carolina Crown

Loudest Brass Line - Blue Knights. Man did their instructors let them blow. Might have hurt them a bit, and they had a few visual tears that allowed a clean and beautiful Phantom show to pass them last night.

Best Drum Major - Phantom Regiment (not even a contest in my mind). Superb conducting. Major props to the Madison Scouts DM as well.

Most Improved Corps Award - The Cavaliers. They rocked the joint last night as well, and what a well-crafted and powerful show. Cannot wait to see what's next for them.

Best Marching Execution - The Cadets. Yes, BD won Visual Ex, and what they do is amazing, well-crafted, and flawless. but the Cadets were no-less flawless in the legs and body last night, and they march, IMO, a harder visual book for the entire show. A more traditional kind of drill, for sure. I really like what the Blue Devils have presented to us with staging, scene changes, and a modern blend of old with the new. But I also love some straight-up drill. Way to go, Cadets!

Best overall music book - A tough call for me, but I'd say Carolina Crown, Blue Devils, and Blue Knights. All three of those music books gave me goosebumps!!!!

Best single Effect - The Bluecoats glissando (Tilt) effect that included a mix of synth, brass, and amazing staging and body movement. The crowd loved it all season!!!

Best T-shirts: The Bluecoats and Blue Knights, with a special shout out to DCI and the DCI Store at Finals. WOW, I was blown away by the new DCI designs and their store, situated in the stadium, was like walking into a Disney store.

Congratulations to all the corps on a terrific season! Many KUDOS to our medal winners this year: Blue Devils (Gold), Bluecoats (Silver) and The Cadets (Bronze). All three corps were amazing all year, and very consistent.

• Bravo to the Cadets for that stately and elegant patriotic presentation and to the beautiful narration and powerful narrator. That was the type of show that gave me goosebumps and lots of ooh and ahh moments. Didn't care for the cheese at the end, but 95% of that show is wonderful drum corps.
  • Bravo to the Bluecoats for coming out so strong, for the amazing show concept, the tightly-focused show design, and for the high performance levels blended with some of the best entertainment. The crowd loved you for a reason, and I really thought you won percussion last night.
  • And a BIG BRAVO to the Blue Devils for continuing to show some of the best performance levels we've ever seen. You mix traditional drum corps with modern design, innovative techniques, and provocative and daring themes. You continue to bring power and passion to the field, your marching technique (along with Cadets) is still the best in the business, and one of these days someone might actually challenge your guard. I enjoyed your show immensely!!!! Best brass sound I've heard BD have in some time.

To all the other corps: BRAVO and Congratulations! It was a pleasure to be LIVE and in the audience for these World Championships. Those of us there live have nothing to complain about.

Peace!

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 3

Allow me to now add a few complaints about DCI Finals weekend. Mostly minor stuff.

• The announcing of the corps before they perform their show can really be awkward in terms of timing, and the announcer is often hard to understand. This will sound mean, and it's not meant to be, but Brant Crocker often shouts with a hard growl in his voice (PH grrrrr AN grrrrr TO grrrrr M....). You get the point. On many occasions I had no idea what he even said. When he speaks normally he is wonderful. I am just so tired of the growling and yelling of a corps' name. Not needed. I think stately and clear would be better.
  • Body Movement - Once again I find the corps over-using body movement. It's as if the show designers have no other way of creating drill or variety in their shows, so they apply a healthy dose of poses and body moves in order to "add GE" to the show. If I was a judge, I'd deduct from your score every time you applied cheese, crap, unnecessary body movement, or some pose for which I can't see, discern, or figure out why you are doing it (in the 2 to 3 seconds that it happens). There are times that it's done very well and you "get it." It makes sense. But often it's just junk being added for the sake of GE. It's a lot harder to hit a form and hold it. It's a lot harder to write effective drill. I simply see too much of this stuff and I feel it's losing the audience. More and more people are in the stands trying to figure out what it all means. What are they (the corps) trying to convey? Everything goes by so fast that the time for discernment and cognitive recognition is not enough, and the body movement only clutters an already glaring problem (choppy music and drill). I must give MUCH credit to the Cavaliers who, I think, utilized body movement and drill design so well this past season. They get it. BD gets it too, and it's why I loved their show.
Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 2

Allow me to now add a few complaints about DCI Finals weekend. Mostly minor stuff.

• The announcing of the corps before they perform their show can really be awkward in terms of timing, and the announcer is often hard to understand. This will sound mean, and it's not meant to be, but Brant Crocker often shouts with a hard growl in his voice (PH grrrrr AN grrrrr TO grrrrr M....). You get the point. On many occasions I had no idea what he even said. When he speaks normally he is wonderful. I am just so tired of the growling and yelling of a corps' name. Not needed. I think stately and clear would be better.

It's really past time to re-think how the announcements work. Do we really need the announcer to say, "DCI proudly presents..." or whatever the heck it is? We all know who sponsors the show, and at regionals and championships there's a big-### banner in the back. Get rid of it. I get the "tradition" behind "drum major, is your corps ready", but that gets old too. I love that some corps are recording and sequencing their own intros. I think that's the way to go.

And whatever you do, DCI, please...for the love of god...do not allow announcers at local shows to make stuff up and "announce in their own style". Unless you are Joe Bruno or Fran Harring, you are awful. Stop it.

• Like 1

Maybe the corps could all get together with Brandt and have him pre-record their own announcement?

• Like 1

Maybe the corps could all get together with Brandt and have him pre-record their own announcement?

Some have, and some use Dan Potter. I think the whole announcement thing should be optional (it may already be), beyond the "Please welcome to the field..." that is said when the corps arrives at the field.

• Body Movement - Once again I find the corps over-using body movement. It's as if the show designers have no other way of creating drill or variety in their shows, so they apply a healthy dose of poses and body moves in order to "add GE" to the show. If I was a judge, I'd deduct from your score every time you applied cheese, crap, unnecessary body movement, or some pose for which I can't see, discern, or figure out why you are doing it (in the 2 to 3 seconds that it happens). There are times that it's done very well and you "get it." It makes sense. But often it's just junk being added for the sake of GE. It's a lot harder to hit a form and hold it. It's a lot harder to write effective drill. I simply see too much of this stuff and I feel it's losing the audience. More and more people are in the stands trying to figure out what it all means. What are they (the corps) trying to convey? Everything goes by so fast that the time for discernment and cognitive recognition is not enough, and the body movement only clutters an already glaring problem (choppy music and drill). I must give MUCH credit to the Cavaliers who, I think, utilized body movement and drill design so well this past season. They get it. BD gets it too, and it's why I loved their show.

Thanks for your thoughts. On this point I couldn't agree more. I find it distracting and over done.

It's really past time to re-think how the announcements work. Do we really need the announcer to say, "DCI proudly presents..." or whatever the heck it is? We all know who sponsors the show, and at regionals and championships there's a big-### banner in the back. Get rid of it. I get the "tradition" behind "drum major, is your corps ready", but that gets old too. I love that some corps are recording and sequencing their own intros. I think that's the way to go.

And whatever you do, DCI, please...for the love of god...do not allow announcers at local shows to make stuff up and "announce in their own style". Unless you are Joe Bruno or Fran Harring, you are awful. Stop it.

Bluecoats announcement was built in---loved it.

• Like 1

there was a big stink I think in 2010 about Cavies wanting to pre-record Brandt and use it....which is why I believe some had Dan Potter.

Jwillis, great review. I always enjoy your commentary.