Show ideas for next year's corps?

Has anyone ever done Carl Orff's Carmina Burana? I've loved it for so long....well, until people started using "O Fortuna" in every fight scene...Curious if anyone has performed it.

Uh-oh -- I hear that the Cavaliers show next year will be titled "Fight Scenes," and ... well ... uh ... Perhaps I've said too much. :-P

(But to answer your question: http://www.corpsreps.com/corpsreps.cfm?view=SongSrch&Song=Carmina%20Burana)

• Like 1

Uh-oh -- I hear that the Cavaliers show next year will be titled "Fight Scenes," and ... well ... uh ... Perhaps I've said too much. :-P

(But to answer your question: http://www.corpsreps.com/corpsreps.cfm?view=SongSrch&Song=Carmina%20Burana)

Check corpsreps.com. Most recently (2000), the Blue Stars did an entire show of Carmina Burana, as well as the Raiders in 2003. Bluecoats in 1977 and Cadets in 1979 also played it.

It's still great music. I wish I had composed it (and was getting all the royalties).

Wow...How did I miss this? I have been away from the activity for a while...oh well, next.

So how were the later versions? If you know...

BD Channel One suite, T.O. ETC...

• Like 1

I want to see a drum corps play 4 great songs with no complicated theme at all.

• Like 2

My 2015 Phantom Regiment program suggestion # 1 is entitled REQUIEM and consists of selections from

WA Mozart's Requiem Mass,

G Verdi's Requiem,

G Mahler's Resurrection Symphony (Symphony no. 2 in C Minor),

Dan Forrest's Requiem for the Living and

J Brahm's Requiem Mass.

PR has played excerpts from the Mozart and Verdi pieces in their 2011 show, JULIET. Santa Clara played the Verdi piece in 1979.

PR played the Resurrection Symphony in 1986 and in 2006 ( FAUST ). Carolina Crown played it in 2010.

It does not bother me in the least that some of this music has been played before. It is good music and as one of Phantom's former leaders said, there are three components to a good program:

1) good music, 2) good music and 3 )good music.

A key for me is matching this music to the best brass arranger available.

I have at least two other program choices germinating and hope to post both in the next few days.

P.S. A couple of these pieces have been suggested recently by others; I hope neither person ( Cadevilina Crown was one ) will mind if I have adopted their idea into my REQUIEM themed program.

Edited by 1956OPR

My 2015 Phantom Regiment program suggestion # 1 is entitled REQUIEM and consists of selections from

WA Mozart's Requiem Mass,

G Verdi's Requiem,

G Mahler's Resurrection Symphony (Symphony no. 2 in C Minor),

Dan Forrest's Requiem for the Living and

J Brahm's Requiem Mass.

PR has played excerpts from the Mozart and Verdi pieces in their 2011 show, JULIET. Santa Clara played the Verdi piece in 1979.

PR played the Resurrection Symphony in 1986 and in 2006 ( FAUST ). Carolina Crown played it in 2010.

It does not bother me in the least that some of this music has been played before. It is good music and as one of Phantom's former leaders said, there are three components to a good program:

1) good music, 2) good music and 3 )good music.

A key for me is matching this music to the best brass arranger available.

I have at least two other program choices germinating and hope to post both in the next few days.

P.S. A couple of these pieces have been suggested recently by others; I hope neither person ( Sutasaurus and ) will mind if I have adopted their idea into my REQUIEM themed program.

For the record, I was the one who suggested "Requiem for the Living." You're welcome.

Re: Requiem for the Living

I started listening to the piece. The opening movement gave me the chills. I can't see the whole piece being used, but portions of it are really nice.

The video I watched on youtube had a comment in it from a user who said their band was using portions of it for their marching program.