Show ideas for next year's corps?

I would love to see someone use opera's famous Double Bill: "Cavaleria Rusticana" and I Pagliacci" as a basis for a show. It would be perfect for Phantom, not because it has two murders, but it fits the style that fits them best. I have also thought that "I Pagliacci" in particular has some great music other than its one famous aria which has been performed many times by many corps. A corps might want to wait a few years before attempting this show since the grittiness would be similar to Blue Devils 2014 and the troupe travels by wagon in "I Pagliacci" which would be entering 2014 Crossmen territory.

People may also recall a violinist named Vanessa Mae. She pops on and off the radar screen from time to time. She released a self titled album in 1995 that was marketed as classical but was actually electronic music. I worked in a "record store" (even though CD's and tapes and not LP's were sold, it was still referred to as such) when it was released and classical lovers panned it and electronic fans saw her as a sell out, but it sold well. Some of her works would adapt well to drum corps, and according to Corpsreps, Mike Batt who composed most of the music on the album, has not been performed by drum corps, or at least he was not credited as the composer.

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 1

I absolutely would love someone to do Windows of the World, by Peter Graham. I think this could make a pretty cool show as well...using just this music around this theme. No need to put a whole complicated theme together. The possibilities for creativity are endless. Here is a small synopsis below I found online:

"This is a kaleidoscopic six movement sequel to Cry of the Celts. The work provides solo opportunities for several principal players. Peter Graham takes us first to Latin America, then to Japan and onwards to Saharan Africa. We get a gentle reprieve via a nostalgic hint of the British Isles before we land in the melting pot of all styles, the USA. In this final section the driving swing section is abruptly stopped and a drum cadenza leads us back into the opening Latin music. The movements are: Amazonia; Rainforest; The Rising Sun; Drums of Thunder; Celtic Dream; Earth Walk."

Edited by Liahona

I absolutely would love someone to do Windows of the World, by Peter Graham. I think this could make a pretty cool show as well...using just this music around this theme. No need to put a whole complicated theme together. The possibilities for creativity are endless. Here is a small synopsis below I found online:

"This is a kaleidoscopic six movement sequel to Cry of the Celts. The work provides solo opportunities for several principal players. Peter Graham takes us first to Latin America, then to Japan and onwards to Saharan Africa. We get a gentle reprieve via a nostalgic hint of the British Isles before we land in the melting pot of all styles, the USA. In this final section the driving swing section is abruptly stopped and a drum cadenza leads us back into the opening Latin music. The movements are: Amazonia; Rainforest; The Rising Sun; Drums of Thunder; Celtic Dream; Earth Walk."

Brass-wise, you'd love Crown to do this, obviously...but I'm thinking that it might be a good fit for Xmen or Madison.

My 2015 Phantom Regiment program suggestion # 2 is entitled CZECH-MATES and relies primarily on MikeD's annual recommendation that the Regiment play L Janacek's Sinfonietta.

I listened to this piece again this morning and it solidified my support for MikeD's judgement. The music is entirely sufficient on its own to provide an entire program but I would have thought the same thing about Swan Lake.

Therefore, the CZECH-MATES program title refers to the addition of music by others who were born in what is now the Czech Republic, i.e., Dvorak, Mahler, Smetana et al.

From a design point of view, I would build on the Regiment's origin as the Black and White corps and allow Jamey to utilize the field as a chessboard, with, dare I say it, half the corps in black and half in white a la The Cadets in 2011…or, better yet, ??? Any suggestions?

I'm sorry for all the suggestions I keep giving, but I'm still waiting for the day a World Class finalist has "Palladio" by Karl Jenkins in their program.

I'm sorry for all the suggestions I keep giving, but I'm still waiting for the day a World Class finalist has "Palladio" by Karl Jenkins in their program.

Since Vanguard performed "The Eternal Knot" I've bought a lot of his stuff from Itunes. There are many pieces of his music that I like - Palladio being the most commercial due to the Debeers commercial. The same with "Adiemus" which was used by an airline in the 90's.

I'm not sure how some of it would translate to the field. Then again, Vanguard's version of The Eternal Knot is one of my favorite balllads to this day.

If you were to ask me when Vanguard is true to their namesake, pieces like "The Eternal Knot" come to mind. To this day it gives me goosebumps.

I'd like to see a Corps tackle some Christopher Tin charts. I'd be very interested to see how the vocal/orchestral focus could be handled by an awesome brass arranger. A show built around either of his song cycles would be awesome, or even just a Baba Yetu reference somewhere in a show would be interesting.

BAC

Selected music from the musical 'Chicago" All that Jazz ,Nowadays ,Razzle Dazzle, The Gun etc.

Open season for the guard with this music