Show ideas for next year's corps?

Soooo, as far as I'm concerned, my question remains unanswered.

Rats. That means the show didn't quite make it to finals night.

I blame the Vogon judges. (GE and colorguard judges, if I remember correctly.)

Not to be confused with the 23 Enigma...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/23_enigma

...which was actually the basis of an WGI indoor percussion show earlier this year.

Hmmmm...might be something to that whole "23 enigma" thing. How many years between the Troopers' last 2 Finals appearances?? :wow:

Blue Devils: Zuckeresque

Bluecoats: Bravely Unmasking a Tilted American Metropolis

Cadets: Less Promising: A Fillmore Portrait

Santa Clara: The Phantom of Saigon Roof

Carolina Crown: Spaceballs

Cavaliers: 15 Extraordinary Minutes in the Mad World of Secret Vampires

• Like 3

Just got done watching one of my favorite movies "V for Vendetta", what an incredible score for that film, Boston used "Evey Reborn" as their absolutely haunting 2012 ballad, if their show this past year wasn't kinda similar in feel and theme and it wasn't their 75th next year,with those uniforms, what an absolutely PERFECT fit that would be. Not sure there's really anyone else I could see tackling that music and theme. I'm kinda thinking a mix of 2011s "Revolution" with the utter darkness of 2014s "Animal Farm". Getting goosebumps thinking about it. Vanguard could play off the V.....I dunno. Some awesome music.

I've also been listening to A LOT of video game scores lately. Michael Salvatori and Martin O'Donnell's "Halo" soundtracks have some pretty incredible stuff, and Grammy Nominee's Austin Wintory's absolutely STUNNING and BEAUTIFUL score for the absolutely amazing game "Journey" would provide as an incredibly simple, heat wrenching, easy to get, and emotional story to tell. A color palette to die for in that game. Not sure who'd tackle this kinda stuff either, but the world of gaming has some incredible music to offer.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CBwQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DcbG3llaKvuI&ei=XeXyU_G-AdL-yQTJxILADA&usg=AFQjCNG4brNBXV-eNgoVY5hkekh_T6q3Cg&sig2=hpNLrP6dUXJVnkCImHGVzw&bvm=bv.73231344,d.aWw

Saw mentions of Carmina Burana.

This has been a sticky wicket for decades. BITD, Corps and bands were literally getting away with using it and not knowing this little bit of information:

Carl Orff stipulated specifically in his will that no one was to re-work or re-use any part of it, period. Ever. It was to only be performed exactly as per his arrangement of it in the concert setting

Back in the 70's early 80's corps like Offensive D' Jonquiere got away with it, etc. There were a couple of HS arrangements available, then European Music (the representatives of the Orff Estate) got wind of this and started issuing cease and desists left and right. A HS Band in Western Maryland, wrote an indoor show in the early 90's. I commented to someone at the show that I wondered how they got permission from the Orff Estate to perform it. Evidently, a competitor caught wind of this, within 2 weeks the Orff Estate issued a Cease and Desist order to the School District. The percussion ensemble had to re-do the whole dingdong program a third into the season.

What broke the ice with the Orff Estate was HBO, who evidently threw so much money at the Orff Estate to use O Fortuna in their ad campaigns in the early 90's that the Estate decided money talks, Carl was 6 feet under, Carl's living descendants/heirs could use a new Audi or three, what the heck. A friend who arranges for HS who knew the issue still tried to contact the Orff Estate/European Music, and he gets some fellow with a thick German accent on the other end, who went through the entire spiel of the Will stipulating no use of the music, etc.

My friend then asked if this was so, then how did HBO get the rights to blast it for all those commercials on US TV left and right, perhaps there could be an arrangement made with him and the band, especially since this was for educational purposes, and he gave them his word the arrangements would be faithful to the originals.

A pause on the other end, a sigh, then...

"X Hundred Dollars per performance. Deal?" :satisfied:

He did a great job on it. I was quite proud the band I worked with and competed against his managed to barely nick his come Championship time. Quite nice stuff.

Sooooo, yeah, it can be done but get ready for the Orff Estate to ask for beaucoup $$$$ in payment. Frankly, I wish I could attach a generator to Carl Orff's coffin so I could sell the electricity to a major city from his spinning in his grave over this. :laugh:

On the flip side, the Don Ellis Estate/Objective Music stipulated clearly that any educational organization that wants to perform/arrange his music pays NOTHING. Food for thought. :wink:

• Like 1