Show ideas for next year's corps?

Frank Ticheli's An American Elegy, I know the Cadets did it in 2008 but so much more can be done with the middle of that piece. There's the canon that builds into the quote of Columbine's Alma Mater and the offstage trumpet solo, I really want to see it done as a ballad at some point.

Beyond the Sea by Charles Trenet, made popular by Bobby Darin, it's got at least one great big band section that might transfer well the the field.

Ernani Aguiar's Salmo 150 would make a good opener.

I think you're probably right. It's very quiet, but incredibly atmospheric and there are some parts -- "Creation" -- that could probably hold their own.

This might be something for someone like PR to explore. Or Vanguard.

Part of my mind keeps saying that basing a show, or part of one, on Under the Skin would be a bad idea. But, then again, who would have thought that basing a show on Einstein on the Beach or the ending monologue from American Beauty would be feasible.

I mentioned the "lingering" thing before. A couple of my friends on Facebook are still posting references to that movie, and one of them was pretty skeeved out by it on first viewing (probably still is to some extent). The movie meets the definition of what I call the "Lovecraft-Ellison Effect," referring to HP Lovecraft and Harlan Ellison, two authors I don't necessarily like while I'm reading them, but the stories/ideas/tone/etc stick with me afterward. In a way, the Blue Devils' Dada show seemed to be like that with some people -- they didn't necessarily like the show during the season (or sometimes they even hated it) but then they reported liking it, or at least that they understood it, a couple months later.

A show based on that movie seems like it would involve a lot of risk and commitment. You probably couldn't change course and switch on the happy-happy-joy-joy if things don't work out.

Since Boston did a crazy dark show this year they should continue the same type of show and do:

Slender Man- Wandering through the dark

All season long, they could do awful things in an attempt to make Slender Man appear, except that he doesn't. Would that change on finals night? :-)

I have always thought that a corps like Surf (or VK in the past) could totally do a "Forbidden Drum Corps" show similar to the Forbidden Broadway shows: take some shots at the biggest hits from the previous season or two in a parody type show.

SCV needs to do a show centered on the music from THe Death of Klinghoffer

Mandarins should do a full treatment of the Red Lantern or Butterfly Lovers

Cadets should do a treatment of Bernstein's Mass which is essentially an allegory for current and recent past questions of faith in drum corps: it would build to the portion of the mass when basically all hell breaks loose (trombones playing, people singing at the top of their lungs, electronics blaring, players moving beyond the field to the edge of the stands in a cacophony of sound) only to resolve ultimately with a statement of faith in the simple pure sounds of the finale from Mass. The show practically writes itself.

Blue Knights could do something interesting with a show about the horrors of heroin addiction with music from A Single Drop of Blood on the Ground (I believe that is the title of the album)

Part of my mind keeps saying that basing a show, or part of one, on Under the Skin would be a bad idea. But, then again, who would have thought that basing a show on Einstein on the Beach or the ending monologue from American Beauty would be feasible.

I mentioned the "lingering" thing before. A couple of my friends on Facebook are still posting references to that movie, and one of them was pretty skeeved out by it on first viewing (probably still is to some extent). The movie meets the definition of what I call the "Lovecraft-Ellison Effect," referring to HP Lovecraft and Harlan Ellison, two authors I don't necessarily like while I'm reading them, but the stories/ideas/tone/etc stick with me afterward. In a way, the Blue Devils' Dada show seemed to be like that with some people -- they didn't necessarily like the show during the season (or sometimes they even hated it) but then they reported liking it, or at least that they understood it, a couple months later.

A show based on that movie seems like it would involve a lot of risk and commitment. You probably couldn't change course and switch on the happy-happy-joy-joy if things don't work out.

Yes.

It's been over three months since I saw it, and I'm still not sure whether I liked it or not, or whether it was good or not, but I'm definitely still thinking about it.

It would take a very mature corps.

Phantom with some more John Adams, Philip Glass, Prokofiev, and all those other great Russians. No fairy tales, damsels in distress, love poems, etc. In fact no narrative at all. Just a good theme and concept.

Perhaps Adams' music to Memoirs of a Geisha???? Hmmmmm. I would still like them to try Dr. Atomic though. Powerful piece of music.

Yes.

It's been over three months since I saw it, and I'm still not sure whether I liked it or not, or whether it was good or not, but I'm definitely still thinking about it.

It would take a very mature corps.

I dunno, seems more like a backdrop to a winterguard show.

I just would like someone / anyone do the music of Bear McCreary,

Came here to say this exact thing.

Also, would love to see someone take Trevor Morris' score for The Pillars of the Earth mini series and put that on the field.

I just would like someone / anyone do the music of Bear McCreary,

There was a short-to-midlength conversation about Battlestar Galactica somewhere in these forums. :-) Maybe in a couple threads. (Search should turn them up easily.)