Improve Fan Network How?

Like many, I have enjoyed DCI Fan Network enormously. Money well spent. It's like having TWO seasons to enjoy, really. The same shows are quite different comparing IN-PERSON to DIGITAL. But, there's always room for improvement, including Blue Devils' .350! While home viewing is still fresh in mind, why not suggest ways to make 2015 Fan Network even better?

I'll begin by hoping there is a means to provide multi-camera at every event. Not necessarily calling for even more cameras, just indicating my enjoyment of multi-camera over high-camera only.

Thoughts on pricing, sound, interviews, etc.?

How about quality-control checks of the audio feed from outside the venue, so the production crew can hear what WE'RE getting? The compression in the semi-finals webcast was awful -- it was stated that this might be coming from the stadium transmission system and NOT the front-end audio crew.

I want HQ sound, little if any compression and limiting (just to protect against overs). Dynamic range seems to be something a lot of people around here have forgotten about. Listen again to the semis and tell me if the percussion impacts from field or pit are ANYTHING remotely resembling a realistic reproduction of their impact in person.

It's time to re-educate the masses as to what GOOD sound is, since the portable world has dumbed everyone down so much. Required viewing: http://www.distortionofsound.com/

• Like 4

I want HQ sound, little if any compression and limiting (just to protect against overs). Dynamic range seems to be something a lot of people around here have forgotten about. Listen again to the semis and tell me if the percussion impacts from field or pit are ANYTHING remotely resembling a realistic reproduction of their impact in person.

I surely don't consider myself an audiophile, if that's even possible with 63 year old ears! To what extent would one's evaluation of sound production quality depend upon in-home sound receiver equipment? I use a $400 Sony Soundbar, obviously not a high-end piece. My TV is a new Samsung UHD with Quad Core, if that has anything to do with it. To me, the sound was what I expected. You, however, do appear to be a more discerning listener. Maybe you can offer us a description of your sound system, if you think that's relevant here. Thanks!

My biggest complaint with the FN webcast is how loud announcements are generally. If compression is needed anywhere, it's on the screaming announcement. The announcer is going to do his thing, of course, but when he does someone needs to be actually listening to how it sounds on the webcast instead of just watching meters. Announcements were often three or four times as loud as the music and if you're listening to the music at any volume you'll get shredded by the booming, excited announcer at the end.

Announcements are part of the production and they will weigh against the perceived overall production value if not taken seriously. That goes for crowd ambience at the Finals webcast as well. You know, we get it - the crowd erupts at the end of the show, so there no need to boost the screaming crowd by 10 dB because we can already tell they like it.

• Like 2

I wish the subscription didn't end on a specific date regardless of when you sign up (unless I'm mistaken it still does so, correct?). Implement a monthly fee and yearly fee (paid in full but averages out to less per month) that simply renews on the date the subscription is made. Also no digital content should be reserved for those only subscribing to tier two or three unless you want to offer a "premium" subscription level. I'd like some of the perks of the higher subs but I don't really care for having the physical copies; I'm an all-digital guy these days.

• Like 1

On a semi-unrelated note, I think it's high time DCI updated their website and brought it up to more current design standards.

• Like 2

I wish the subscription didn't end on a specific date regardless of when you sign up (unless I'm mistaken it still does so, correct?). Implement a monthly fee and yearly fee (paid in full but averages out to less per month) that simply renews on the date the subscription is made. Also no digital content should be reserved for those only subscribing to tier two or three unless you want to offer a "premium" subscription level. I'd like some of the perks of the higher subs but I don't really care for having the physical copies; I'm an all-digital guy these days.

This won't change because of the amount of work and discourse that would be added if subscriptions ended during the season. Imagine if on top of all the other stuff going on, a large number of subscriptions ended on... say, Semifinals night. Customer service issues through the roof.

It *seems* like it makes sense on the surface; buy a year... but in reality, this won't and shouldn't change.

• Like 1

I'd love to see a mobile app. The mobile friendly website is a great start, the next iteration should be an app... and a stream that works better on android. Not all of us are iDevice users.

You likely won't see an app. Apps are expensive to write and maintain, and wouldn't give a large benefit in revenue... wouldn't break even. Unless and until they turn over their streaming to a company that also provides an app build, it won't happen. And they probably aren't going to turn that over because they again, probably wouldn't break even.

Sure would be nice though.