Anyone else feel bad for the Cadet's members?

placement is no measure of "a successful summer" and neither is (your view) of "create a beautiful work of art"

you've got a lot to learn about what's important to the Cadets organization - because zero of placement or "artistic success" is what matters

it is this: did the kids learn and grow as individuals? form lasting bonds with others? create good habits that will help them down the road in life? have fun? were they well trained and well cared for?

these are the questions that determine "success" - not silver vs. bronze or your personal view of artistic merit

This.

If you've ever spoken to George "Jingle Bell" Hopkins or read any of his posts on Facebook it is extremely clear that the Cadets as an organization isn't geared towards placement its geared towards the enrichment of the kids marching.

Through the staff's attempts at improving the kids as performers, the Cadets' become an annual contender for gold.

This is also what bugs me - having your thunder taken away at Finals Awards is anything but enriching for a Cadet.

This.

If you've ever spoken to George "Jingle Bell" Hopkins or read any of his posts on Facebook it is extremely clear that the Cadets as an organization isn't geared towards placement its geared towards the enrichment of the kids marching.

Through the staff's attempts at improving the kids as performers, the Cadets' become an annual contender for gold.

This is also what bugs me - having your thunder taken away at Finals Awards is anything but enriching for a Cadet.

let's not forget "disappointment" is also an important life lesson

not the most fun life-lesson but probably one of the most important of all

they'll be fine!!

• Like 2

placement is no measure of "a successful summer" and neither is (your view) of "create a beautiful work of art"

you've got a lot to learn about what's important to the Cadets organization - because zero of placement or "artistic success" is what matters

it is this: did the kids learn and grow as individuals? form lasting bonds with others? create good habits that will help them down the road in life? have fun? were they well trained and well cared for?

these are the questions that determine "success" - not silver vs. bronze or your personal view of artistic merit

Don't forget design that generates applause for the kids. This has been expressed by GH himself as being important. Then again, that was at least several years ago that I saw that.

First of all, I’m a long time Cadet Fan and a Cadet Financial Supporter …

That said, when I saw The Bluecoats in the theater back in June, I personally hoped they would take the Gold. A show like theirs is the reason why I became a Drum Corps Fan … so much there to enjoy … so much excitement.

You have to be kidding yourself if you think it didn’t sting. The Cadet members have been told all season long they were Silver, but on the final night of the season they weren’t.

I just went back and watch the announcement of their score, and you can see the guard members’ faces. There were few cheers for the Cadets … all you hear Bloooo! And to be honest, I’m not surprised.

If you have been around the activity for a long time, you know Cadets have leaped over other Corps during Championships … and vice versa … It’s just part of the game … the nature of competition.

There are many accomplishments for The 2014 Cadets …

1. They broke the even year drought of not making the top 3 ... last time they made the top 3 during an even year was 2002.

2. They went undefeated against Carolina Crown … last time that happened was 2007.

3. The Cadets guard moved from being the Corps’ biggest weakness to one of the Corps’ strengths.

So, Congratulation to the 2014 Cadets! Be proud!

• Like 2

I agree with you about the formal retreat block. I think it's time to relax that tradition a little. I loved seeing the kids in Crown & BD last year and Bluecoats & BD kids this year hug and congratulate each other.

I can't really agree. Cadets have done their thing at retreat for decades, back to when there actually were retreats most nights and corps played themselves off the field. It's part of their identity - they prefer to do their celebrating once they are offstage.

It's a shame that the retreat format these days doesn't allow for a corps to depart as a unit while paying their respects to the champions. But that's DCI's fault, not the Cadets'.

• Like 1

Yea I think the bluecoats fanboying and fangirling got a little over the top when cadets were announced in 3rd. I mean seriously, doing the bloo cheer when cadets score was announced just cause you passed a corps for a silver medal? If you have to do it, save it for that gold medal.

Edited by Anstig

First of all, I’m a long time Cadet Fan and a Cadet Financial Supporter …

That said, when I saw The Bluecoats in the theater back in June, I personally hoped they would take the Gold. A show like theirs is the reason why I became a Drum Corps Fan … so much there to enjoy … so much excitement.

You have to be kidding yourself if you think it didn’t sting. The Cadet members have been told all season long they were Silver, but on the final night of the season they weren’t.

I just went back and watch the announcement of their score, and you can see the guard members’ faces. There were few cheers for the Cadets … all you hear Bloooo! And to be honest, I’m not surprised.

If you have been around the activity for a long time, you know Cadets have leaped over other Corps during Championships … and vice versa … It’s just part of the game … the nature of competition.

There are many accomplishments for The 2014 Cadets …

1. They broke the even year drought of not making the top 3 ... last time they made the top 3 during an even year was 2002.

2. They went undefeated against Carolina Crown … last time that happened was 2007.

3. The Cadets guard moved from being the Corps’ biggest weakness to one of the Corps’ strengths.

So, Congratulation to the 2014 Cadets! Be proud!

This.

They have a lot of which to be proud. Their show may not have been the fan favorite this year, but they performed the hell out of it and they gave corps a run for their money. I am sure it stings given they haven't come in 3rd place all year, but I'm sure they're mature enough to realize that things happen, and they should not let one night determine how great their season was. The best thing for them to do is to remain classy and congratulate the Bluecoats for having a wonderful show and a show that propelled them to where they finished.

Good Job to all the corps this season. You had us on the edge of our seats. Looking forward to another great season in 2015.

Nope. The members were disappointed but they understand the significance of a corps reaching their highest position and score in their history. They'll get over the crowd reaction. I considered it a long shot even last night that they top them, and i wouldn't have been sour if the coats wouldve finished 3rd. But because bloo jumped them on finals night and i have a mm friend in bloo (who likely wont have the time in the next few summers to march) i couldnt be more proud. Disappointment is a thing people need to overcome, it seems that some of the fans are taking it harder than the members though. So it goes.

• Like 1

Cadets will be fine. As others have said the members performed great, won medals and cared-for great all summer

I'm sure the 3rd place reaction wasn't as much of a surprise for the members as we think - they know Coats were hot on their heels and that the Coats show was an extreme crowd favorite

I agree the "falling" GE scores were more an indictment of the design decision than the members performances - hopefully the powers that be will sit back, exhale and make some better decisions for 2015. Not that "3rd" is "bad" - but that I think we all recognize the design held the kids back in the end

Anyway - they'll be fine. A good life lesson for all involved

Congratulations Cadets on a great season,

George.

The Cadets have won multiple world titles, Bluecoats have yet to win one. Still, the look on the face of that color guard girl on the left when they stepped forward in a shower of Blooo's...well, they are human. That had to hurt.

This is a strange topic. Bluecoats were the fan favorite from day one, ESPECIALLY with the younger crowd it seems. People want the fan favorite to do well, and in this case, they REALLY wanted Coats to beat Cadets. They probably knew Blue Devils were out of reach (at least after first bit of the season). But they wanted 2nd, were denied it all summer -- they lost to The Cadets EVERY SINGLE TIME, until...the one time that matters. And they went berserk over it. Why shouldn't they?

It happened of course in 2008 Regiment-BD. Last year Crown-BD. Somewhat in 2011 Cadets-BD. Man, the crowd really likes it when BD loses lol. But seriously, this is just how it is.

Edited by chris ncsu
  • Like 1